Milwaukee: Kohl's Idea Challenge June 9th

I would love to get a Core77 group together to enter this competition. I’ve talked to Ben (Bennybtl) about doing this briefly and I know there are a few of you in the area that may be interested as well. Teams consist of 4-5 people and we will be competing with teams not only in MKE but also NYC and Chicago. Here’s some details below and a link to register. If you’re interested, please post up so we can get organized. It would be a good opportunity to meet some fellow Core77 folks too.

Kohl’s Idea Challenge Registration
Saturday, June 9, 2012
9:00am – 6:00pm (CST)
Milwaukee: OPEN MiKE in the Shops of Grand Avenue, 161 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53203
New York: BarCamp NYC, Microsoft Offices, 1290 Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave and 52nd St)
Chicago:1871 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza, 12th Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60654
Milwaukee Innovation Week is excited to announce the Kohl’s Idea Challenge!
This event is a unique opportunity for creatives, designers, developers, entrepreneurs, business savvy students and professionals to come together for a day and respond to a challenge Kohl’s has defined around an integrated retail experience.

Like a hackathon, but different. There will be teams. There will be brainstorming. There will be lots of food and fun! In the end, Kohl’s is looking for you to pitch them on a BIG idea that directly relates to their business. To win, your idea will integrate smart design, technology and a meaningful way for Kohl’s to engage consumers. Don’t worry, you won’t be required to create a working prototype by the end of the day. Just a crisp presentation of your idea. Though we encourage it, participants do not have to be at the venue the full 8 hours. But you do have to be present to win.

What to bring Your laptop (and powercord), phones, gadgets, design and development tools and anything you need to be productive.

3 City Competition: Teams in Milwaukee, Chicago and New York will be competing for the cash and a chance to see their idea hit the big stage. We’ll keep everyone connected via Skype. And there will be a Kohl’s representative in each city to guide participating teams.

Registration and team formation for the event begins at 9:00 a.m. (CST) on Saturday, June 9. If you have a team, great. If you need to join a team, we can help!

Beginning at 10AM (CST), Kohl’s will announce the details about the Idea Challenge. Then it’s off to the races. You and your team have the rest of the day to come up with a great idea. It can be a well designed pitch deck, a working mobile app prototype or everything in between.

At 4:45PM (CST) teams will make their five-minute pitches to a panel of judges for the chance to win cash and the potential to see their idea come to life at Kohl’s.

Oh, and, we’ll also keep you nourished—food and beverages will be provided complimentary of Kohl’s!

Kohl’s Idea Challenge RegistrationPlease register below for the Kohl’s Idea Challenge. Once you’re registered, we’ll communicate additional details on location(s) and answer any questions you have along the way. Thanks!

http://innovationinmilwaukee.com/events/milwaukee-innovation-week/kohls-idea-challenge/

Sounds interesting, I may be interested. contact me if you want to talk further.

Of course now we can have the discussion and get off topic about how this event is detrimental to our profession and the Kohl s should just hire and pay a design firm.

Chevis

Yeah I agree. I typically don’t get into competitions for that very reason. However, I figure it would be a fun event to socialize and an opportunity to meet and compete with other designers/creatives in the area. Since it appears to be more focused on design in an area I don’t work in, it would be good opportunity for me to learn as well. Plus, there will be a more casual event @ MillerCoors after the event.

Libation Innovation
Saturday, June 9, 2012
7:00 – 10:00pm
MillerCoors Stables
4101 W. State Street
MillerCoors opens its historic Stables Building to the public for an interactive reception. Guests are welcome to enjoy live local music and participate in a collective activity that explores creativity and innovation.

I sent you a PM earlier today too. So we can discuss further there too.