Vancouver, things to do

Have a last minute trip to Vancouver -

Anything to recommend to do. I don’t have that much time off, but recommendations for place to eat, drink, shop, etc., would be greatly recommended.

I’m staying downtown, around Robinson and Broughton st. if that helps.

Never been to Van, so have no idea what’s around. I think I have a few hours here and there.

R

I’m not from there, but have visited a couple times, and its a banging world-class city, making Seattle feel very inferior.

Places I like:
People watching/gawking on Robson (the main shopping drag)
Any good bar in Gastown, like Chill Winston or Irish Heather; Boneta is good for dinner and great cocktails, while Chambar is more dressy/trendy with Belgian food.
There are many great shops in Gastown too, check out Dutil (jeans) for cool retail experience, very indie… probably some sneaker places down there too. :wink:

The far end of Robson (heading towards Stanley park direction) has a couple of great Japanese ramen places - Kintaro is the most popular but others like Benkei are also good.

If you can get over to Granville Island for the weekend market that is very worthwhile, and Emily Carr school of art and design is close by, and should have their senior show up now.

I usually go straight to Victoria to visit my wife’s family when I’m there, but can recommend a couple things we liked. One was renting scooters to get around… it’s a good city for it and everywhere you are there are great views. With those we went around Stanley Park and around town. There are some museums with the Pacific Northwest style totem poles and carvings at the Museum of Anthropologie, but we thought the best one was in Victoria. I have a feeling you’re looking more for design spots, but if you like getting a good a workout and the outdoors - the Grouse Grind is a hell of a climb straight up a nearby mountain with a killer view over the city. In the waters between Vancouver and Victoria you can see lots of killer whales chasing seals and get very close on the guide boats - we really enjoyed that. Whistler-Backcomb is about an hour drive from what I’ve heard too.

I hope this thread fills in like the Iceland one a while back… We’re planning a trip back this summer and could check out some new places

you’ve got to try japadogs, they’re street dogs japanese style. they put sauces, seaweed, all kinds of awesome stuff on them and they’re delicious. i can’t remember where the stands are, but downtown if you see anyone eating a hot dog, just ask them haha…

and i guess you could check out a hockey game :wink:

Slippyfish’s recomendations are bang on.
Chill Winston is a great patio when it’s sunny. The Alibi Room a block further east is also excellent.
The Irish Heather (across the street) has a separate whiskey bar out back called the Shebeen. (enjoy a wee dram sitting in a Konstantin Grcic stool.)
Sean Heather (who owns the Irish Heather) has also opened a few smaller places in Blood Alley that are worth checking out if you’re into wine and charcuterie.
Gastown is also home to Inform - the local big designer furniture store. They happen to be having a warehouse sale this weekend at 343 Railway street. - About a 5 minute walk from Chill Winston.

Yaletown may also be worth checking out - it has gotten a bit played out with chain restaurants but is still a great place to people watch and grab a cheap bite.
Best bar here is called The New Oxford located on Homer between Davie and Helmecken.
Finally… Grab a latte at Urban Fare at Davie and Pacific and wander the seawall. Head west until you pass under the Burrard Bridge. You can then head back up Thurlow street to Robson and you’ll be near your hotel.

With the Canucks playing in the playoffs on Sunday downtown will be a zoo. Particularly Robson street.

Enjoy…

Gastown for sure! lots of places to go, The Irish Heather, The Pour House and Boneta. Send me a line if you want to meet for a pint.
Cheers!

Thanks all for the info. On my way to the airport and will keep following the thread…

R

I am a local.

As way of design I highly recommend going to Granville Island where Emily Carr Art and Design university is and check out the grad show that is on this week. I am in the exhibit right now and would be happy to show you around- message me if interested.

Some great design :stuck_out_tongue: (not to boast too much! Just proud of my peers. :slight_smile: Granville island is across the water from downtown where you can take a cheap ferry bus across the burrard inlet.

That is also where the market is where you can buy fresh fruit, fish and pastries. As well local artists sell their work.

I recommend going to Grub on Main st. cute restaurant where the menu changes every week. Its nice to get out of downtown to see the smaller neighbourhoods. Main st. is a good place to check out for shopping, food etc.

Otherwise everyone is right for hanging out in gastown. Robson (I think) is nothing special and/or unique.

I hope the weather will be nice for you this week! Have an awesome time!

try Aberdeen Centre

If you are a BSG geek like I am, I think there are Vancouver “Caprica” tours where you can see some of the set locations, usually right within downtown. Simon Fraser University was used in a lot of scenes.

Kitsilano neighborhood is great for walking around too, its a bit more bohemian than downtown, with a vibe a bit more like Fillmore or Hayes Valley in SF. 49th Parallel coffee is good here, and there are gobs of great shoe/sneaker places.

My wife and I got engaged in Vancouver and went straight to Chill Winston for champagne afterwards, love that place :exclamation:

pardon me, wine and charcuterie in Blood Alley? How things change: when I lived there you’d find blood, syringes, rats and garbage in Blood Alley.

i was kidding about Aberdeen Center unless you want to see crazy rich Chinese driving around in Modenas and Scuderas…

for restaurant try Cannery Seafood Restaurant…

• Horseshoe Bay (rip around in a rental boat)

• Yaletown (food)

• Robson/Denman/ English Bay (food)

• Spanish Banks or Kits (beach and bikini)

• Stanley Park seawall (biking)

• Grouse grind (hiking)

• Granville Islands/ ECCAD

• Capilano sus bridge

i was kidding about Aberdeen Center unless you want to see crazy rich Chinese driving around in Modenas and Scuderas…

for restaurant try Cannery Seafood Restaurant…

• Horseshoe Bay (rip around in a rental boat)
  • Yaletown (food)
  • Robson/Denman/ English Bay (food)
  • Spanish Banks or Kits (beach and bikini)
  • Stanley Park seawall (biking)
  • Grouse grind (hiking)
  • Granville Islands/ ECCAD
  • Capilano sus bridge

Thanks all. Not so much time free here, but hit Haarlem, chill Winston, abuser bar and on my way to Granville island now, hopefully hit eccad and public market before leaving this afternoon.

R