San Diego County Design Events

IDSD Happy Hour at Solterra Winery (Encinitas, January 25th @ 5:30pm)

announcerFullName

Ryan Held
Senior Industrial Designer at MindFlow Design

Hi All,

Hope the new year is treating everyone well! Our January Happy Hour meetup is approaching and we’ll be at Solterra Winery (934 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024) on Wednesday the 25th this month. Hope to see you all there for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks. Call or text me (Ryan - 562.715.6461) if you have any problems finding us!

If it’s your first time to an IDSD Happy Hour, it’s a casual meetup every last Wednesday of the month. Just a simple, no-pressure way to build industry relationships, network, and blow off some steam after work. If you have any questions or want to know more, feel free to email me or post to the group.

Let us know in the comments section below if you can make it out for this January Happy Hour and some of the places you would like to see us have future happy hour meet-ups!

Ryan

I’ll be there… I live two blocks away so it would be weird if I didn’t go… :slight_smile:

The last IDSD event at Soltera was fantastic. Really good turn out. Designers from my group of course, plus Nissan, Harman, Denon, and a few local design firms, Mind Flow (who organized it) and Intersection (Chuck Pelly’s, founder of Designworks, new firm)

Next big SD event:

Paola Antonelli (curator MOMA) lecture at UCSD
The New Frontiers of Design

A conversation with Paola Antonelli
Senior Curator, Department of Architecture & Design
at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City

Design has branched out in new directions, galvanizing young practitioners,
sparking novel business models, and attracting worldwide attention. A
designer today can choose to focus on interaction, interfaces, fashion,
visualization, socially-minded infrastructures, immersive digital spaces,
biodesign, sustainability, video games, critical scenarios, and, yes, even
products and furniture. Join Paola Antonelli, the senior curator of the
Department of Architecture & Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New
York City, as she delves deep into design’s many directions and into its future.

Register here:

Where:
Scripps Seaside Forum

When:
Tuesday, March 14
7 - 9 p.m
Parking is $4 after 5:30 p.m.
For questions or more information:
Email us at ucsdextevents@ucsd.edu

May 11/12 IDSA Women+Design Summit

DESCRIPTION
A one-day summit to focus on the unique challenges and accomplishments of women in design. Through speakers, panels, and workshops we will delve into personal stories, experiences and ever evolving topics of women working in design.
We want to celebrate women who are making a difference, such as our all-female slate of officers rejuvenating one of IDSA’s largest communities—the San Francisco Chapter, the years of dedication of the Women in Design Special Interest Section, women in the Academy of Fellows, and the growing number of women studying and practicing design all around the world.
Speakers include designer/entrepreneur Ti Chang of Crave, Maaike Evers of Mike and Maaike, Erica Eden, director of global innovation at Pepsico; Andrea Small, director of product and portfolio strategy at Herman Miller, Rebecca Alvord, of GE Appliances, and Diane Allen of Nissan Design America.

Thursday
May 11, 2017
5:00p – 6:00p Welcome Wine & Cheese
Sponsored by PepsiCo. | Renaissance San Diego Rooftop Lounge, 421 West B Street, San Diego CA 92101

Friday
May 12, 2017
8:00a – 8:45a Morning Coffee
8:45a – 9:00a Welcome Remarks
Megan Neese, IDSA, Chair, IDSA Board of Directors
9:00a – 9:30a Keynote Speaker
Maaike Evers, Mike & Maaike
9:30a – 10:00a Speaker
Ti Chang, CRAVE | The Story of Crave
A woman starting a sex toy company is rare. Even if you take out the “sex toy” part, this is still true. Ti Chang, IDSA, will share how she designed and hustled to build her company Crave. This is behind-the-scene stuff; rarely shared.
10:00a – 11:00a Workshop
Moderated by Disrupt Design | Gender Equity
11:30a – 12:00p Speaker
Andrea Small, Herman Miller | Untold Stories of Women in Design
When people think about the legends of design at Herman Miller, they think of Nelson, Noguchi, Rohde, Girard, Stumpf, Chadwick. Even when people think of the Ray and Charles Eames, Ray sometimes gets sidelined. In her talk, Small will share untold stories of the women behind some of the most iconic designs of our time.
12:15p – 1:30p Lunch and “Table Talks”
1:30p – 2:00p Speaker
Erica Eden, director of global design innovation at PespsiCo
Women Are Not Robots: A Case for a Human Approach to Innovation
Erica will share a design audit of the consumer packaged goods category which reveals what works (and what doesn’t) for women—from brand and packaging to food design and nutrition, and more. Essentially, we treat women like robots—one-dimensional stereotypes that respond to quantitative and highly rational needs—a series of 0s and 1s. We’ve forgotten that women, unlike robots, make emotional decisions with their hearts and eyes, with rational benefits working hard in the background. Despite demand, human and holistic solutions for women are in short supply. Design can help! Looking outward, we see a series of oversights and opportunities.
2:00p – 3:00p Panel
Moderated by Nancy Perkins, FIDSA, Perkins Design Ltd.
Gender Equity By Design
A seasoned group of female designers will tackle questions about work-life balance and the challenges they have faced throughout their careers that have impacted their successes in life and the design business. Join Nancy Perkins, FIDSA, as she speaks with Pattie Moore, FIDSA, Betty Baugh, FIDSA, and Katherine Bennett of Art Center College of Design .
3:00p – 3:30p Coffee Break
3:30p – 4:30p Workshop
Facilitated by Rebecca Alvord, IDSA, GE Appliances | Inspiring Leadership
How often in our busy lives, do we take time for personal and small group reflection on how to be a better leader? In accountability groups that will live on after the conference, we’ll discuss challenges that today’s women leaders face as well as anecdotal examples of inspiring leadership. We can all recognize great leadership, but how do we get there? Individually, each participant will focus on a personal challenge that they need to improve and then work through a plan of action with a partner. Prepare to be challenged and to help encourage others to be better leaders.
4:30p – 5:00p Closing Speaker
Diane Allen, Nissan Design | Driving Design: Women in Automotive Design
Diane will talk about women designers in the automotive industry. She is a Senior Manager of Design at Nissan North America where she has worked as an automotive designer since 1984. She has managed a wide range of programs from exploatory to production design including the notable 350Z and 370Z sports cars as well as full-size trucks including all-new Nissan Titan.
5:00p – 5:15p Closing Remarks
Megan Neese, IDSA, Chair, IDSA Board of Directors

Another San Diego something. I’m planning on seeing there with a few other designers:

I’m planning on going if I can wrangle a few others :slight_smile:

May the 4th Be With You
A Star Wars Themed Art Show

Thursday, May 4
6 P.M. to 10 P.M.

Intergalactic Brewery

9715 Carroll Centre Rd. Unit 107
San Diego, CA

RSVP on Facebook HERE.

There is an IDSD happy hour tonight at Carruth Winery in Carlsbad:
2727 State St
Carlsbad, CA, United States

I keep forgetting to post the IDSD happy hours, but this month’s meetup will be at the at Park 101 (new bar/restraunt… 3040 Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, CA 92008) on Wednesday the 26th. Hope to see you all there around 5:30 PM for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks.

Spread the word and feel free to invite others.

If it’s your first time to an IDSD Happy Hour, it’s a casual meetup every last Wednesday of the month. Just a simple, no-pressure way to build industry relationships, network, and blow off some steam after work.

Hi All,

This month’s meetup will be next Wednesday the 30th at the at Burgeon Beer Company (6350 Yarrow Drive Suite C, Carlsbad, CA, 92011) with El Cevichito Baja Seafood out front (> https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-cevichito-foodtruck-san-marcos-2> ). Hope to see you all there around 5:30 PM for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks. Call or text me (Ryan - 562.715.6461) if you have any problems finding us!

If it’s your first time to an IDSD Happy Hour, it’s a casual meetup every last Wednesday of the month. Just a simple, no-pressure way to build industry relationships, network, and blow off some steam after work. If you have any questions or want to know more, feel free to email me or post to the group.

Let us know below if you can make it out or if you have any future meetup spot suggestions!
f358b883-f913-4c46-b6ee-5a28d33675db-original.jpeg

Let minute notice, but IDSD (Industrial Design San Diego) is doing a happy hour from 5:30 till about 8 in Carlsbad at Barrel Republic.

http://barrelrepublic.com/locations/carlsbad/

If you haven’t been it is kind of a neat spot in spite of the typical hipster steam punk old west look. Everyone gets an RFID bracelet and you pour your own beer and are charged by the ounce… I never know what to do with the tip line on the receipt when I check out. Do I tip myself? :laughing:

If you are in San Diego and looking for something to do, the Size Matters small photography show is tonight at Helmuth Projects in Bankers Hill

Opening reception party tonight (october 28) at 7pm.
1827 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101

http://mediumsandiego.org/portfolio/size-matters-2017/

Next IDSD meet up:

This month’s meetup will be the 29th at Bully’s North Del Mar (1404 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014). Hope to see you all there around 5:30 PM for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks.

If it’s your first time to an IDSD Happy Hour, it’s a casual meetup every last Wednesday of the month. Just a simple, no-pressure way to build industry relationships, network, and blow off some steam after work.

local mid century Mod Swap… one part of me doesn’t want to post this so I get all the good stuff :smiley: but the other part of me wants them to do well and keep doing it every year.

IDSD happy hour tonight:

Hope 2018 is treating you well so far! This month we’ll be meeting up at Viewpoint Brewing Company (2201 San Dieguito Dr, Del Mar, CA 92014) on the 31st. Hope to see you all there around 5:30 PM for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks.

another month, another IDSD… this one is walking distance from my house so I’ll be there :slight_smile:

February’s meetup will be at The Regal Seagull on the 28th (996 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024). Hope to see you all there around 5:30 PM for the usual mellow meetup with good food and drinks. Call or text me if you have any problems finding us!

6ec416b2-d963-4aa3-b204-17b41bbe7e7e-medium.jpeg

Wondering if these IDSD events still happen? I wasn’t able to find the Linkedin group… would love to connect with the people here!

I’m not sure. I know the way LinkedIn manages groups changed a year or so ago and the group leader was no longer able to send a message to everyone directly, which put a damper on the whole thing.

Thanks yo, I might try to resurrect a meetup like this. I’ve been feeling a bit isolated out here:) Anyone in SD, feel free to message me directly. I’ll post here if I start something up.

Hi all, seems like the IDSD Linkedin group now is now defunct so I’ve started a new one called “San Diego Designers”. Please join if you are local to connect with the community here. Sign Up | LinkedIn I will post posting links to events, hopefully eventually hosting some.

I’m actually in San Diego for the week, working with a client on an innovation workshop and prepping for a product launch. I’ll be at Rancho Santa Fe Cars and Coffee on Saturday though: Redirecting...

Awesome yo! It could be fun to meetup for lunch or a happy somewhere if you have any free time. No worries if not. I’ll send you an email with my phone # JIC

I am also seeking to start an IDSA chapter here. Looking for some officers to join the board. Please dm me if there is interest.