jon_winebrenner

THEME:
Super Soaker Fun

DOORS OPEN:
Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DOORS CLOSE:

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

BRIEF:
After a bit of a hiatus from the 1 Hour Design Challenge, we have decided to bring it back in a manner that many (in the Northern Hemisphere) could relate to about now. With the heat of summer bearing down on us, who doesn’t like a good water gun fight? Even better than that, who doesn’t love a good Super Soaker fight?

So, we’re lightening things up around here for the month of August and asking all our Core77 peeps to put pen to paper and design us the coolest Super Soaker known to Man.

JURY:
Jon Winebrenner, OneOak Design, Inc & Creator of the 1HDC

CRITERIA:

Designs will be judged purely on subjective opinion of the judge. Minimum entry will be 1 8.5” x 11” page of thumbnail sketches, and 1 8.5” x 11” rendering of the final design. This 1HDC is more about your rapid visualization skills in conjunction with a fun topic. Good composition, line weight, and rapid concept development will weigh heavily in the final design…the judge will also consider bribes.

HOW TO ENTER:
Participants must execute their design in only 1 hour, based on an honor system. To enter, upload your entries to the designated competition forum.

To discuss the challenge and the entries, visit the 1HDC discussion forum.

PRIZE:

Bragging Rights.

All of the above will be published in the Core77 Newsletter and get blog coverage on the Core77 main page.

Re: 1HDC 11.08 - Super Soaker - Submission Forum

Postby choto » August 12th, 2011, 11:56 pm

choto

Needed a break from a massive CAD binge. Ended up overshooting the hour by about 15 minutes, was fussing around in PS a bit too much. Will be back with another one that's under the hour hopefully!
Attachments
final copy.jpg
Choto Super Soaker

Postby nxakt » August 13th, 2011, 6:50 am

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization

My first time at the challenge. Used up all the time modeling and no time for presentation... 65 minutes.

I always pictured the water cannons at the Bellagio fountain in LV as the ultimate super-soaker engine, anything that will fire a ball of water 36 stories vertically, I want a part of that. Missing from the 3d sketch below are the 3000 psi carbon scuba tanks to power it. Two hand, dual shoulder braces, kick like a mule.
ultimatesoak.png

MasterBlaster
step four
step four

I say hook up a garden hose and make a gunner's pit :) Maybe it charges up and pressurises from the hose, so you can detach and run around-KERSPLASH! :lol: maybe not so kid friendly. 45 minish g2g work on CAD now :)
Attachments
1HC_Parel.jpg

MasterBlaster
step four
step four

Nice sketches Choto- look forward to more.
@nxakt- what are you using for modelling? proE? It looks like it should be something like an Iron Man suit- repulsor jet from the chest :)

MasterBlaster
step four
step four

...and one more
Attachments
Supersoak1HCscreen.jpg

Postby holtag » August 17th, 2011, 9:26 am

holtag
step three
step three

First time for me as well, time sure rushes up to you when nearing the end! Was an excellent exercise though, I might do some more.
Attachments
supersoaker01.jpg
supersoaker01

MasterBlaster
step four
step four

Awesome! That should accept Coke bottles and drop mentos from the other side! Disgustingly awesome for a 9year old :)

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

Jaime Sanchez OHDC.jpg
One Hour Design Challenge- Super Soaker

Food Dye 'Tracer' stream from upper nozzle, Water Spray from lower nozzle. I wanted it like a robot arm you wear.

fede21us
step one
step one

This one's a Bazooka, disguised as a pogo stick!
The water is pressurized by jumping on it until it's ready, you then shoulder mount it by folding out the butt and trigger, then shoot and blast!
Attachments
Federico_superSoaker1.jpg

SmartWorks
step two
step two

SupahSoaker.
Little bit of a District 9 feel.
Standard pump action.
Any water bottle with the standard threaded top will fit.
Capacity anywhere from 500ml bottle to a 2 litre one.
Rather than having to go to the tap/hose every time you can carry bottles of "ammo".
First time using SketchBookPro.

SSoakerGS.jpg

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

fede21us wrote:This one's a Bazooka, disguised as a pogo stick!
The water is pressurized by jumping on it until it's ready, you then shoulder mount it by folding out the butt and trigger, then shoot and blast!

You WOULD use RF red.

MasterBlaster: nice sketch (first one)! What sort of brush settings do you use for that sort of effect?

Postby waikit » August 20th, 2011, 3:59 am

waikit

Great stuff guys!
@choto: really good start with an eye catching presentation of your ideation sketches just in black silhouette style
@nxakt: that's a freaking scary alien super soaker concept
@MasterBlaster: fantastic as always. looks like you are experimenting with charcoal and watercolor brushes?
@holtag: i imagine that you can keep your biceps trained by carrying that double soda bottle soaker concept
@sanjy009: looked like Rhino modeling to me at first sight. but cool that you can slide your arm into it
@fede21us: love the storyboarding of it
@SmartWorks: nice for the first time using SketchBookPro

I couldn't resist joining this one. So I browsed through different types of super soakers and water guns, and also looking to some concept art of guns and rifles, and all inspired me to pick up my BIC ballpen and started sketching in my old and very empty sketchbook.

Sorry I didn't monitor the time, as I got so focused on it, but I guess I spent more than an hour sketching 3 pages, but I only made a photo of one good page:

supersoaker_sketchbook_resized.jpg
Sketchbook

Then I placed it on top of a grunge paper background in PS, and added some basic coloring on the only perspective sketch that I did, based on the left sketch with the call outs:

supersoaker_old_paper_resized.jpg
Sketches on grunge paper

Keep it coming people.

Cheers,

Waikit

Postby Nupky » August 20th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Nupky

I got into it and kind of went a bit over :P 1 hour and 20 minutes. I am a student so give me a break hehe but as I am doing a Sketch-A-Day I loved this great challenge. Lots of fun!!

soft plastic bubble bullets that on impact pop. The pump mechanism is to lock and load, and the blue handle has the trigger to fire.

MasterBlaster
step four
step four

@tarn- those are my sketching brushes from PS. Regular PS brush with some transfer and texture. I will upload the exact brushes Monday.
@Waikit- nice! Long time no see :)

Go to the Next Page

Return to one hour design challenges

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list