THEME:
Play-Doh Kicks
DOORS OPEN:
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

DOORS CLOSE:
Saturday, September 25th DEADLINE EXTENDED
9 pm PST (4 am GMT)

BRIEF:
This month, we’re celebrating shoe designers all over the world with our latest 1 Hour Design Challenge: Play-Doh Kicks. To get you loosened up for fall, when we all go into overdrive again, this one’s fun, casual and three-dimensional. Your task is to recreate or reinterpret your favorite pair of shoes in play-doh, in one hour or less.

Cut loose and give your imagination a stretch. Maybe you’ll create a miniature tribute to your favorite sneaker designer of all time. Or, honor your humble, beat up kicks by sculpting their likeness, busted soles and all.

To help us pick the best entries, we’ve enlisted Sneaker Freaker, the only magazine to document the international footwear craze, and Kueng Caputo, the Switzerland based designers behind the Copy series of design workshops. Woody, Sneaker Freaker’s founder and editor, has generously offered the winner a lifetime subscription plus publication in the magazine’s December issue. Kueng Caputo are throwing in their book Copy, a compilation of results from the workshop. And, finally, we’ll be throwing in gift certificates to Hand Eye Supply, our new store for designers and makers.

This is gonna be a fun one, so start rolling out that Play-Doh!
JURY:
Woody, Editor and Founder of Sneaker Freaker
Sarah Kueng and Lovis Caputo of Kueng Caputo
The Core77 Editorial Team

CRITERIA:
Models must be made completely of play-doh, but can be tooled with anything you’ve got on hand, from exacto-blades to butter knives.

We’ll be looking for how well you express the character of your chosen shoe, how resourceful you are in your methods, and how original you are in your interpretation.

HOW TO ENTER:
Participants must execute their design in only 1 hour, based on an honor system. To enter, upload your entries to the designated competition forum.

Please include the name of the shoe you chose to recreate, any supporting text you’d like to add, and a photographs of your model as follows: a three-quarter view, a side elevation, and an optional sole view. Remember to save high-resolution photographs of your model in case it is selected for publication in Sneaker Freaker!

To discuss the challenge and the entries, visit the 1HDC discussion forum.

PRIZE:
The Grand Prizewinner will receive a lifetime subscription to Sneaker Freaker, Copy by Kueng Caputo, a $100 gift certificate to Hand Eye Supply.

Two honorable mentions will receive a $25 gift certificate to Hand Eye Supply.

All of the above will be published in the Core77 Newsletter and Sneaker Freaker’s December issue.

Please use this forum for Submissions Only!

To discuss the Play-Doh Kicks 1HDC, please use the Discussion Forum

The Nike Air Royal Mid VT ::

Here’s my all white Nike Air Royal Mid VT which, like the original, is constructed in one piece. The shoe already looks like it’s constructed from a Play-Doh mold, so I figured it was a natural fit.

The shoe :: Nike Air Royal Mid VT – Summer 2010 | Available Now - Freshness Mag

• David
    download.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    download-2.jpg

vans classics. my favorite shoes of all time.

• ken

My favorite toy/shoe from my childhood… Moon Shoes!
Y122019B.jpg

Shoe #1: Brown Mary Jane Crocs
Modeler: Amelinda L.

My first croc. I wear it a lot and I still love it. Just slip on and go. When it gets dirty, just hose it down. easy. :slight_smile:

Size of models were very small due to the lack of play doh.50mm in length
IMG_4685[1].jpg
IMG_4687[1].jpg
IMG_4653[1].jpg

Shoe #2: Adidas Grun
Modelers: Amelinda L. & Ching T.

For an eco-shoe it’s got great aesthetics and lot’s of character. It’s been loved, worn and torn now. So as a tribute we decided to model it with Play-doh.
IMG_4679[1].jpg
IMG_4684[1].jpg
IMG_4682[1].jpg

I chose to model one of the toughest pairs of shoes I ever owned, the illustrious Puma First Rounds

The shoes…

Converse All Star High Top

Colors were just what the kids had lying around. Had fun with it.

Mini Converse All Star :wink:

This was really a fun one, nothing like some Play-Doh first thing Saturday morning

My favorite shoes hands down…

Vibram 5Finger KSO
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

This is too much fun!

Vans Mid Skool 77’s , in blue

the shoe :http://www.eukicks.com/vans-mid-skool-x-classic-kicks-blue-red/

• Jon
    iso.jpg
    profile.jpg
    rear.jpg

Omar Salazar: http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboarding/outerspace/

http://macadaan.com

:smiley: love play doh! its the first officila thing i do with my play doh 5o year edition!

Russell and Bromley “Strand” Shoe (in Brown normally)
BM

Clarks Standard Black Shoe
EB

the time tested Puma California.

the shoe : http://www.kicksonfire.com/2010/07/16/puma-california-2-team-regal-red/

-Jon
iso.jpg
profile.jpg
rear.jpg

DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Note that the deadline for this 1HDC has been extended until Saturday September 25, 2010

My niece had this valentines day play doh pack laying around.

vdaydunk.jpg

missed this one.