1HDC 09.02 - Business Card Submission Forum

Submissions for the 1HDC Business Card Hacks should be in this forum only.

Please keep all discussion to the discussion forum: 1HDC - 09.02 - Discussion - Business Card Hack

THEME:
Business Card Hacks

DOORS OPEN:
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
9 AM PST (5PM GMT)

DOORS CLOSE:
Sunday, April 26, 2009
9 PM PST (5 AM GMT)

BRIEF:
Business cards, those ubiquitous 2" x 3.5" pieces of paper stock, can be the perfect vehicle for invention. Bend one and it becomes a chopstick rest, add some paper clips and a bulldog clip and create an office pet, cut some notches in a bunch and you’ve got a versatile construction toy.

This 1 Hour Design Challenge invites designers to come up with a new use for the business card. The only condition is that it’s gotta be 3D in some way. You can add materials or remove materials, but it should be obvious that your design started out as a business card. Post sketches of your idea, or if you can construct it in an hour, upload photos of your creation. Or embed a YouTube video for that how-to vibe.

CRITERIA:
Judging will be based on design execution, strength of concept, and what the judges think is the coolest idea.

PRIZE:
The top 5 designs will each receive 1000 Eco-Friendly business cards courtesy of our sponsor for this 1HDC, UPrinting. Guest judge is Gino Orlandi from UPrinting. Community discussion encouraged!

Good Luck!

Open for business!

A pretty sturdy dise made from a name card. I am trying to have some fun at 4:00 am.

P.S: 9 dots…I must be thinking about Ma Jiang at the time. :stuck_out_tongue:
Picture 10.jpg

HI all! This is my first post on here. I guess this 1HDC inspired me. :slight_smile:

Hope you all enjoy my little business card holder simply made of 3 business cards.

Andy

(edit: apparently I need to pay attention… just made this a reply instead of a standalone post)

This business card is for the modern nanny who never knows what questions they’ll be asked. Used as finger puppets to entertain young children and educate them on important issues like safe sex, drugs, and alcohol. This is my first 1HDC. I’ve never really don’t anything like this before but I hope to do more in the future. Feedback welcome!
finger.jpg

Sorry, i’ve had to remove my entry for the time being. Hopefully get it back up soon!!!

Even though we can’t compete in the challenge because we work at Core77 I had some fun making this for the 1hdc ads and thought I’d upload it. I’ve been using it for a week and it is holding up ok!

The entries are looking great, keep 'em coming!
-Eric

edit: added how-to image

Here comes another fold for our beloved apple products.

Porridge and surfmovie breakfast iphone stand.
fold2.jpg
fold1.jpg

First post here! Cool site, never used it before.

My design comes from the perspective of a custom motorcycle manufacturer. People who would come into possession of these cards would be motorcycle enthusiasts.
This design takes the business card and turns it into a funnel that can be used for putting oil into a motorcycle, or any other fluids for that matter.
The card comes with a hole punched out of the middle and two perforated curved lines running almost from the center to the top and bottom of the card.
The user tears the perforations and twists the card into the funnel shape. It holds together when it is inserted into a circular opening (see the beer bottle pic)
I also tried to make a small nut and bolt holder for those fiddly bits that you always manage to loose, but it would require more time to construct.

Enjoy!

Here it is! My first contribution to a 1H design contest.

Like what i see, joining the fun

another 1

Simple cut-outs allows user ability to build card architecture.

How about some speakers? If there is one essential thing you need in studio its tunes! Call me crazy but for 4 business cards Id say they sound good!
DSCN0076.jpg

the business card iphone holder

It’s not my idea, but jsut came across this today and thought it was appropriate to post here-

Cardapult.

R

The Magnetic/Cork board pen/pencil holder

Two horizontal slashes is all the work required for this business card hack.

All photos taken with my blackberry. Yay wasting time!!!

why so serious.

The idea is to serve sushi straight from the folded business card. The pointy corners of a business card are great for cleaning your teeth (we all do that, don’t we?).

Smile! :smiley:

or pencil or with a different mod on the bottom card it could be a cell phone holder…

3 business cards, a paper punch, and scissors… oh and a ruler.

I usually spend time on figuring out which plug is connected which device… here is a little solution from business cards…