Postby elliotts21 » October 2nd, 2008, 2:37 pm


elliotts21
 
Posts: 15
Joined: December 7th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Location: Irvine, CA
Thanks Cyberdemon, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

Anyone else?

User avatar

jerry
step four
step four
 
Posts: 435
Joined: January 6th, 2004, 9:02 am
Location: Niceville, Florida
Honestly, did you think that the Designer of the Chrysler 300 is going to sit through every single video in the thread? Take notes of the Designer's names? Is he going to crack open anything that doesn't catch his attention?


Did you think he wasn't? Do you know what he does in his free time besides play with his Little Tikes TotSports Golf Set?
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar

jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
jerry wrote:Did you think he wasn't? Do you know what he does in his free time besides play with his Little Tikes TotSports Golf Set?


No. I never once thought he would take anything more than a sideways glance at anything that didn't catch his attention.

Postby jerry » October 2nd, 2008, 2:56 pm

User avatar

jerry
step four
step four
 
Posts: 435
Joined: January 6th, 2004, 9:02 am
Location: Niceville, Florida
Fair enough.

But, I must admit, honestly, I was really excited to share my work with him.

Granted, my background is more with illustrations /cartooning, sketching, and design research, but I've loved drawing cars since the first time I used a quarter as a template to draw wheels. That's something I feel I shared in common with Ralph, plus, he's not white and in such an esteemed position with a major car company. Who wouldn't want to be like him?

It would've been great to hear what he would have to say about my work.

That's probably the main reason I'm so upset. Not necessarily that I didn't win, I've lost many things. But to hear something positive from someone you look up to has a value greater than all the failures one may have had.

That's all. Nothing personal ip_

I apologize, guess my emotions got the better of me.

If we were in Amsterdam, I'd puff a peace pipe with u. 8)

We cool?
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

- Abraham Lincoln

Postby jon_winebrenner » October 2nd, 2008, 4:09 pm

User avatar

jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
jerry wrote:We cool?


As a cucumber.

Postby yo » October 2nd, 2008, 8:18 pm

User avatar

yo
Administration
Administration
 
Posts: 12832
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Location: SoCal
Congratulations to the Winners:

Svensson, hot sketch and great video!

Paul Kirley_ I'd love to see a 3d model of that sketch


I'd also like to Thank Jon (IPWirelessly) for putting these things together. The 1HDC's take a lot of time and energy and give us all a great opportunity to be seen and have fun. Thanks Jon!

Postby jerry » October 3rd, 2008, 8:21 am

User avatar

jerry
step four
step four
 
Posts: 435
Joined: January 6th, 2004, 9:02 am
Location: Niceville, Florida
Yesterday was about venting.

It's Friday, a new day, and still would like to discuss objectively about the whole judging process.

Part of the criteria of this competition was to deliver a sketch and also a 2 minute video. All 3 of the winners had videos greater than 2 minutes.

To be eligible you must video tape yourself spilling your ink and your soul into this one. We will then ask you to compress that one hour down into a 2 Minute Video and post it, along with an image of the final rendering, for the world to see.


If a video exceeded the time constraints, how can they still be eligible?
I don't think it's fair to everyone else who followed the rules.

I've entered several film slams where I've submitted video *without* music or dialogue. Some of the feedback I've received I can share with you here.

If you're watching a two-minute video without anything to audibly engage the viewer, it's a challenge to keep interest in the video portion. Some of the videos here did a good job of tying the visual and audio portions together. Several videos had some annoying background noise throughout the video.

I love making videos so I only hope the encourage everyone with some useful criticism.

I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past. It gets the job done and is a good basic start when venturing into the video realm as a new media.

Lately, I've been using Pinnacle Studio 12: Enhanced Version - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... io+Family/

It's only $100 and gives more flexibility than WMM. You have a layer for video, sound effects, titles, and music with the ability to modify sound levels as well and can export in a variety of formats.

Video is also very demanding to work with. It takes up a lot of space and memory so it helps to keep like 10gb of free space for those operations. It also wouldn't hurt to keep up with regular maintenance with Disk Cleanups and Defragging the harddrive.

Thanks again to everyone who entered.
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

- Abraham Lincoln

Postby cash68 » October 3rd, 2008, 9:47 am

User avatar

cash68
step three
step three
 
Posts: 122
Joined: June 27th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Location: Madison
elliotts21 wrote:Hey, I'd like some feedback. I thought my entry was pretty decent (although I liked some others better). Interestingly enough, most of those I really liked didn't make the cut either (think ADD, that is awesomely clean and clear). While some that did make it offend me (think backass2, hey, I'm being brutally honest here and I hate to call people out, but WHAT!!!?). So clearly my opinion as a professional designer varies highly from the jury and I'd like to hear what people with different opinions have to say about my entry (I'm always looking for more perspective on my work).

Anyone (and I mean anyone) who has time they want to spend giving me a little feedback would be appreciated (and I understand if you don't either have the time or you just don't want to waste it on this). I was brutally honest above, so, please be brutally honest with me (I can take it). I will say I beleived the video portion to be for documenting the process (in order to eliminate 'cheaters') and not for entertainment, so I already recognize that this could have been improved.

My entry is here (and at the bottom of the first page of submissions if you want to watch the video):

http://boards.core77.com/download.php?id=2997

Thanks!


I thought your entry was very strong, and has linework LIGHT YEARS ahead of some of the entries that actually placed. The reason you didn't make it? Probably a few things:

1. Rear wheel perspective is awful. So off that it gives me a WTF reaction.

2. Colors were not as dramatic as other entries

3. Perhaps should be more Chrysler oriented. The 68-70 Charger ripoff entry had fantastic lighting, but the perspective was just as awful as yours. His made it, yours didn't.

4. Better design? Your car looks like a Lotus, a 360, tons of other sports cars. Mine did too, so don't feel bad. I just wish we would have had a bit more time, I had a few other entries half done. Argh.

Anyway, sleep well knowing that yours was pretty good, and in my opinion, superior to some of the 'picked' renderings.

Postby cash68 » October 3rd, 2008, 9:51 am

User avatar

cash68
step three
step three
 
Posts: 122
Joined: June 27th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Location: Madison
jerry wrote:I've entered several film slams where I've submitted video *without* music or dialogue. Some of the feedback I've received I can share with you here.

If you're watching a two-minute video without anything to audibly engage the viewer, it's a challenge to keep interest in the video portion. Some of the videos here did a good job of tying the visual and audio portions together. Several videos had some annoying background noise throughout the video.

I love making videos so I only hope the encourage everyone with some useful criticism.

I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past. It gets the job done and is a good basic start when venturing into the video realm as a new media.

Lately, I've been using Pinnacle Studio 12: Enhanced Version - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... io+Family/

It's only $100 and gives more flexibility than WMM. You have a layer for video, sound effects, titles, and music with the ability to modify sound levels as well and can export in a variety of formats.

Video is also very demanding to work with. It takes up a lot of space and memory so it helps to keep like 10gb of free space for those operations. It also wouldn't hurt to keep up with regular maintenance with Disk Cleanups and Defragging the harddrive.

Thanks again to everyone who entered.


Next time try iMovie on a mac. It's very easy to use, and quite powerful. Plus it's free on any new mac, since it comes installed.

Postby rkuchinsky » October 3rd, 2008, 10:25 am

User avatar

rkuchinsky
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5196
Joined: July 3rd, 2005, 9:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
jerry wrote:
Part of the criteria of this competition was to deliver a sketch and also a 2 minute video. All 3 of the winners had videos greater than 2 minutes.

To be eligible you must video tape yourself spilling your ink and your soul into this one. We will then ask you to compress that one hour down into a 2 Minute Video and post it, along with an image of the final rendering, for the world to see.


If a video exceeded the time constraints, how can they still be eligible?
I don't think it's fair to everyone else who followed the rules.


hmmmm... I guess everyone should actually be disqualified, I didn't see any actual ink or soul spilling in those vids ;)

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby kakapoopie » October 3rd, 2008, 11:11 am


kakapoopie
step one
step one
 
Posts: 21
Joined: October 15th, 2006, 1:08 pm
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Thanks to IP and the core moderaters for making this happen. Also thanks to Ralph for taking a look that is pretty cool of him and really exciting for all of us underlings :P.

Mr-914: Glad someone noticed my sneaky blur :P

Next time, please no bashing of the other entries, especially not after the fact of judging. You win some you lose some thats what you get yourself into when you enter a competition.
Wakka Wakka!
Blog

Postby svensson » October 3rd, 2008, 11:51 am

User avatar

svensson
 
Posts: 18
Joined: September 28th, 2008, 4:13 am
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
I would also thank people who made this comp happen!
and jerry you can't be serious ?!

Postby jon_winebrenner » October 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm

User avatar

jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
So the last word isn't a negative one....thanks to everyone for your entries and your support. I do have fun with this, and I hope you all are as well.

Postby yo » October 5th, 2008, 9:46 am

User avatar

yo
Administration
Administration
 
Posts: 12832
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Location: SoCal
NOTE >> I have edited some of the sour grapes comments out. Next time, less chatter about videos running over, and more work on your skills.

To everyone that participated and or watched with interest, thank you. Some amazing work has been coming out of these 1 hour sessions! Your great work has been attracting the attention of the blogs and some great guest judges.

Hope to see you raise the bar in the next one and tell your friends to take an hur out of their day to have some fun!

Michael

Previous

Return to one hour design challenges

©2013 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list