Close

Postby Sketchme » September 28th, 2008, 6:10 am

Sketchme
step four
step four

Svenson, that is sick!

for me personally that is the most impressive one so far, love how its not digital and you've used markers.

Postby bennybtl » September 28th, 2008, 12:25 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four

-Michael Tinstman
-DavidHu

like the compacts!

Postby rkuchinsky » September 28th, 2008, 7:47 pm

rkuchinsky

svensson, top notch. love the emotion in the rendering and the analog (pen/marker) tools. makes be almost take back my previously expressed interest in SBP (though i'm sure the same feel rendering could be done digitally).

I've been looking at a lot of renderings lately, and have been quite enamored with the digital fluency of the tools available, but most don't seem to somewhat have that visceral quality of a loose marker sketch such as yours.

I used to have a book titled (i think) Japanese Marker rendering while in school aways back that had lots of this kinda stuff, but somehow in my travels the book has gone missing. If anyone else has links to this/similar books featuring such techniques, it would be greatly appreciate if you could post/PM me.

also, svensson, Im curious, where do you work?

R

PS. I also wish that all those YouTube videos were available at a higher quality. svensson, if you have a larger size vid you could post or email to me, it would be much appreciated.
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

My 2nd entry

Postby davidhu » September 28th, 2008, 9:22 pm

davidhu
step one
step one

I've submitted a 2nd entry - a sedan:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXtKRyxr_E[/youtube]
Attachments
David Hu's 1HDC Car Render entry - 300M.jpg

dbpuyo
step one
step one

could any mod move it in my post on submission thread?

here it is.

hmm something is wrong with my video.. its like 6 mins.. WTF??
and sorry about quality.. i used my web cam.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EjBt-PpVs[/youtube]

Postby jon_winebrenner » September 29th, 2008, 1:08 am

jon_winebrenner

Yowza!

I go into hibernation for a few days and come back to a small pile of truly hot sketches/vids.

Great work everyone! You definitely surprised me with the quality.

Very inspiring.

Postby desecrator » September 29th, 2008, 2:00 am

desecrator
step two
step two

when are the results? :oops:

Postby Sketchme » September 29th, 2008, 3:14 am

Sketchme
step four
step four

to echo R, it would be great if we could see a better quality video of your sketch demo svenson

Postby svensson » September 29th, 2008, 6:42 am

svensson

Thanks Sketchme and rkuchinsky,
I'm rendering a HD file for Vimeo right now.
About my work. I employ myself. Currently doing 3d modeling, rendering, illustration. sort of on standby at the time. I have a BA degree at product design and definitely looking forward to work on design projects, but it's hard to get constant product design work in a small country like Estonia.

Postby cash68 » September 29th, 2008, 7:31 am

cash68
step three
step three

FYI, I'm going to be reuploading my video to youtube. For some reason it's extremely choppy, the video is NOT like that on my computer. I also have another one almost done, way better than my first, but sadly I didn't make the cut. I'll probably post it here when it's done, just for fun.

- Rob

Postby jerry » September 29th, 2008, 8:22 am

jerry
step four
step four

That was a pretty tough challenge, good luck to everyone!

I thought I'd share my findings...

My personal challenge was to submit 3 entries. What I've learned was that 2 entries determined my limit for the day.

I definitely thought about what I wanted to do more than I actually did. In the past, that's proven to be one of my hazards. I didn't commit to entering until last week when I happened across the song I used in the first video entry.

The strange thing is, once you decide to enter a competition, you'll *immediately* run into obstacles. It's just part of the nature of the beast.

So, my first issue was that I had to borrow my dad's camcorder which I've never used. I had a camcorder at work, but I would only use it if I needed a back-up. Besides, I didn't have the software for it so just thinking I could use it made me not worry about it.

A dry run with my dad's camera found that one of the larger batteries would keep falling out of it. I'd have to keep it wired...I used the last CD-R he had as a test so he got some new CD-RW's. Then, while my sister was using it to film my nephews football game, she had some issues with finalizing the disc in it...which is the only way I would be able to transfer the data to my laptop. I started to sweat a little. My dad helped out and got some new CD-R's and a new tripod. Thanks dad!

Then on Saturday we celebrated my son's birthday (which was actually Tuesday, the day after I wanted to enter this competition), so I'd like to dedicate this to him. I tried my best to not think about work but, alas, I'm a designer. I hope he can only understand. I also want to thank my wife for watching him all day yesterday so I could finish everything. I wanted to thank the rest of my family for their support.

Once my son was asleep Saturday night is when I actually started to get to work.

I think I ate once yesterday, didn't brush my teeth, and I hadn't showered the night before...yes, it's competition time.

I cleared a spot on the table once I woke up and had trouble finding a good timepiece. A digital clock I was going to use was too dim so I thought an analog would be a better way to see the time lapse. I could've used a clock with birds on it that made different bird songs each hour (my mom's clock) but found one in the bathroom that was more suitable. Then where to situate it while I sketched. I also wanted to do some branding exercises like the in-car cams that race cars have. I used my Virginia Tech hat but it's barely readable. I thought about drawing a VT logo on my hand but forgot. Which actually was a good thing.

Once I had my place cleared out and was ready to go, I still needed to make some .jpgs of some logo concepts I was working on to use in the video.

By the time I started filming, it was already 10:28am...

"I still have 11 hours, I'll be fine."

My dad asked when the deadline was, "It's 9pm PDT ...pacific time." I tell him. What I thought, however, was that since I'm Central time, I had until 11pm, our time. He corrected me, after I had filmed everything around 3:30pm and while I was compressing the first video (and had to eventually compress 2 more times for each video) that the deadline was actually going to be 7pm, our time. So, instead of having seven and a half hours to finish, I only had 3 and a half. And that's where it's very relevant to bounce things off of other people, the simplest details can be fixed by one other brain. For some reason I think how a razor thin wire can trip a whole company.

I was now using two computers. The desktop, slightly faster, had the duty of triple-compressing, editing, and finalizing the movies. Even now, the gremlins were at work, even more so it seemed. During shifts in the timeline of the video editing, I would hit "play" too fast and the desktop would freeze up or glitch. I've had to do at least 4 forced shutdowns on the desktop and 3 times on the laptop. I lost a Corel file in the process. I was now running at max capacity of my computer threshold.

At 6pm, the editing was done on the first video. I had one hour. This is the now the real challenge.

Laptop had email duty but it was also doing a second compression of the second video. The 3rd video, lay in its jewel case, waiting to be touched. Every minute had the utmost importance. I was shuffling USB drives between the laptop and the desktop like a jerrynet.

I go to YouTube. The end is near, literally, I can see it counting up on the clock on the lower right hand corner of my monitor. And I can see the hour glass stuck to my cursor arrow like a cancerous tumor and now it won't go away. Crap! I go to Streetfire.net. Thank you Streetfire! The page loads quickly, go to upload the video but I don't have time to write too much describing it. I hit "upload" but the progress bar doesn't show. There is a note saying not to worry. I try not to and go check the progress on the desktop. Editing is done, now it's in the last stages of finalizing...FINALIZE FASTER1!!!

um, okay...back to the laptop. The videos are uploaded now to YouTube and Streetfire. On to Core77. It's like 6:40ish...a blur, or am I about to pass out? I type a brief description, attach a file for the .jpgs and "submit".

"Can't upload an empty file?" I try again...same error. It thinks the .jpg is an empty file? I log on to Coroflot...upload the images there so I can use the "image properties". "File size too large". YIKES! It's getting too close for comfort now. OMG!

I open Corel Photopaint...please nothing crash now! I promise to defrag your hard drives, please! Resample the images...still too large. Resample one more time. Success, it finally uploads to Coroflot. I get the image properties.

I go back to Core77, submit two video files, 3 .jpgs, all by 6:56pm. I see a note from admin to "paste" the .jpgs...which I assume means to attach them. I hope that's what was meant. I attach the files with submission.

I finished, barely. This morning, I take another look with fresh eyes and notice a typo. Oh, man...if only I had one more hour...
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

- Abraham Lincoln

Postby svensson » September 29th, 2008, 9:46 am

svensson

Postby jon_winebrenner » September 29th, 2008, 11:20 am

jon_winebrenner

desecrator wrote:when are the results? :oops:

I have already sent the short list to Ralph Gilles. He and Core77 Admin are going to review them and hopefully we will post the winners in the next day or two.

Postby cash68 » September 29th, 2008, 6:55 pm

cash68
step three
step three

Okay, so it turns out I couldn't reupload the video to the same URL, but here is my "fixed" video, I'd appreciate it if you could edit my post since it is an identical video. The problem was that youtube screwed up and it was only playing at about 1 frame per 4 seconds, it was awful.

Here it is after reuploading it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwE5eDemm0

Thanks!

Postby desecrator » September 29th, 2008, 9:14 pm

desecrator
step two
step two

ip_wirelessly wrote:
desecrator wrote:when are the results? :oops:

I have already sent the short list to Ralph Gilles. He and Core77 Admin are going to review them and hopefully we will post the winners in the next day or two.

cool! cheers mate!

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to one hour design challenges