1HDC 08.07 - Sick Ass Car Rendering!! Submission Forum

Please submit your entry to this forum only.

Doors open:
Tuesday September 16, 2008
9 AM PST (4PM GMT)

Doors close:
Sunday, Sept 28, 2008
9 PM PST (4 AM GMT)

THEME:
Sick-Ass Car Rendering!

BRIEF:
Cars are a huge part of our lives. They not only drive us from point A to point B, they drive memories. From that first road trip with the crew to losing our virg….er…keys, we have a long standing love affair with our automobiles.

In honor of this cultural icon, we’re stepping it up a notch: We want to see you put to paper the sickest ride you can dream of. Seriously, we want to SEE you do it. This 1HDC is more than just a 1 Hour Design Session. To be eligible you must video tape yourself spilling your ink and your soul into this one. We will then ask you to compress that one hour down into a 2 Minute Video and post it, along with an image of the final rendering, for the world to see.

CRITERIA:
Judging will be based on quality of presentation and whether or not your work could have realistically been done in 1 Hour. The 1 hour does NOT include thinking in the shower, procrastinating, setting up the video camera, editing the video, uploading to Core77, or anything not related to creating the sick-assest rendering you can come up with. Use this Core77 5 minute sketch session as guidance for how to set-up your camera. If you’re a digital hack, a screen capture will do nicely.

PRIZE:
Publicity in the October Core77 Newsletter, publicity on the Core77 Blog, bragging rights that Ralph Gilles, VP of Design at Chrysler chose your design!

JURY:
Guest judge on this 1HDC is Ralph Gilles, the VP of Design of Chrysler, and designer of the Chrysler 300. Community discussion is encouraged to help ensure the best design wins.

TWO IMPORTANT THINGS FOR THE SHOT:
Things to consider when Making a 1HDC Time-Lapse Movie:

1. Make sure you have a good view of your drawing, occupying most of the frame (see image below).
  2. You must have a clock or some other timepiece in the frame!

TWO IMPORTANT THINGS FOR TECHNOLOGY:
Be sure your hard drive has enough space before starting!
Your final movie file size will be large: up to 1GB or more depending on the camera you are using, so have at least that amount of free disk space.

Record a trial run first!
Computers + cameras + 3rd party software = potential mess-ups. Make a few trial movies to be sure everything is working before you record your 60 minutes.

DELIVERABLES:
A tablet sketch is acceptable - try to frame both monitor and tablet as closely as possible.
A cintiq sketch is acceptable - point the camera at it as you would a normal sketch pad.
In either case, a screen capture is acceptable but be sure it includes a readable clock or timer in the captured area.

Your entry should be comprised of 2 elements. A jpg image of your final rendering, and an embedded video of your Time-Lapse movie. You can use your favorite video sharing platform such as YouTube or Google Video or Blip or Vimeo. In the discussion forum, paste the name of your rendering, a sentence or two description if you’d like, the jpg image, and a link to your video. Easy!

Remember that movies must be submitted as Time-Lapse movies–ideally recorded at only a single frame per second. This means that your hour-long drawing will play in around two minutes, preventing the viewing audience from dozing-off during your show… DO NOT POST MOVIES THAT ARE 1 HOUR LONG!

Creating a Time-Lapse movie can be done by recording at normal speed and then time-compressing the footage in a video editing program such as AfterEffects. Another, more efficient way is to make your initial recording in time-lapse mode. It will keep your movie file size small and eliminate processing time. Some video cameras have this functionality built in, so be sure to check if your’s does. But most likely you’ll have to use a camera-to-computer connection (webcam or camcorder) and a time-lapse capture program. Two no-cost solutions are referenced below:

NOTE:
A tablet sketch is acceptable - try to frame both monitor and tablet as closely as possible.
A cintiq sketch is acceptable - point the camera at it as you would a normal sketch pad.
In either case, a screen capture is acceptable but be sure it includes a readable clock or timer in the captured area.

FREE TIME LAPSE SOFTWARE AND TIPS
Windows XP, Vista
HandyAVI
http://www.azcendant.com/download.htm
(10 day free trial)

Can be used with an attached video camera or a webcam. We used it with a logitech quickcam and it worked great. If you have trouble check out the azcendant site for help.

Some quick instructions:
Go to the “capture” menu and choose “time lapse”. A new window pops up: Time-Lapse Capture. In this window: Choose your capture device. Select a location to save your movie. Leave compression alone. Choose to “Take one frame every 1.000 seconds”. Playback rate should be “30.” Click the “Start” button to start recording. When done, click Stop. Your movie is automatically saved.

Mac OSX
SingleFramer
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28460
(Freeware)

Can be used with an attached video camera, a webcam, or a mac laptop’s built-in isight camera. We used a Macbook Pro’s isight.

Some quick instructions:
Go to the “Watching” menu, choose “start watching.” Go to “Movie Setup” menu, click “Start new DV movie.” Enter a name for your movie in the dialog box which pops up. In the main window, next to the video feed, you will see a green “grab frame” circle - ignore it - to the right of it is the Time-Lapse Control. Choose “1” SECONDS between frames. Use the little green “start” button here to start recording. When done recording YOU MUST click the big pink “FINISH” button at the bottom to save your movie!

Sorry,
I had no time nor the equipment for the video shooting, but I had a lot of fun doing this rendering under time pressure and am surprised how much more alive it looks because of the time pressure. I guess I would otherwise have monkeyed around with it until it would have looked like an overdone photo-realistic shot. I sketched the whole thing on my Cintiq 21 UX (using Painter & Photoshop) @ work during the lunch break :wink:. Though it might not qualify due to the lack of a movie file as proof I thought I submit it anyway for the fun part of it.
Cheers, Arne :smiley:

i know… there isnt a video file and probably this rendering wont be selected (its not half as good as i wanted it to be ) ) but every 1HDC i make it a point to enter and note down the deadline in my diary and something or the other comes up to screw it and i keep wondering what if…

so here it is , more a ( amateur ) sketch than a rendering done without any underlay or reference and done in under one hour .

—mkd—

I really wanted to get a jump on this but at the moment, I don’t have my tripod available to film (it’s being borrowed). I plan on doing a legit video’d entry before next week. So…

I did this instead: grabbed a screenshot every 5-10 seconds. I thought I’d post this to help get things moving. My “clock” is my system time, upper right corner. Here is the sketch and screens leading up to it.

-B

^^ Pure Heat! Can’t wait to see a vid.

R

Don’t have a video camera for my computer, don’t want one.

If it’s not sick…it’s ill.

quantity instead of video. drawin’ cars is fun…some more people should get in on this!

this one’s pretty cartoon-ish, but i ran out of time…

My 20min sketch …… :smiley:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2905365996795819547
CarADD1.jpg

Just a warmup. The linework wound up taking me 40 minutes, so the total was 1.5 hours. Need to find some more speed.

I’m a mopar fan from back in the day, so this is my homage to the original 1955 300C, with some elements of Ralph’s new 300C thrown into it. I’m also a sucker for slammed wagons with surfboards… so… yeah. Next one will be faster.

I have no idea why it won’t let me attach the file so I hosted it somewhere else

1hr-challenge-Lucaswade_sm.jpg

So I was thinking, make a sick-ass car rending or use a new “technologically” advanced Lego ultra car. So I leave you with this, “Say H-E-L-L-O to my little Mars Rover!”
Mars Rover_Context.jpg
Moon Rover_Fire Jumper.jpg

“one” … sketchbook and photoshop ran out of time to do the details on the windscreen and front grille and bumper … but a ;ittle better thann my first…
still can figure out this video thig hopefully will be with a video next time for now attached series of screenshots… thanks for the idea ’ bennybtl ’

Okay, so this whole video thing has proven to be a huge pain in the neck. I finally got it all sorted out and the results follow. Time is in the upper left corner of the screen (1s. recorded every 30s of real time, so the video appears pretty choppy - it actually surprised me how much of the time I’m not actually putting stylus to screen).

My rendering is of a small Italian exotic - think modern day Dino and you won’t be too far off. I know, I know, the perspective is a little forced and the back wheel is both too tall and narrow, but hey, I would have tweaked it if I weren’t so worried about the time limit!

Anyway, here is the Vid:

Damn! This is fun to watch.

Hey elliotts21, what was the Star Wars mix you had in your video?
My son had me play the video 3 more times so he could hear it again.

due to some confusion on someone’s part, Vaughn Ling (aka kakapoopie)'s video was posted on the front page with reference to Elliots21. It does not appear that Vaughn has posted his video or image yet, but it was under the related videos on youtube when viewing Elliots21’s video…breathe…
can’t wait to see Vaughn’s stuff, the kid is wild

oh yeah…Vaugh, what is the song, sounds like MixMasterMike doing an Imperial March remix, but that google search yielded a crazy $#!+ ton of garbage to filter through.

Our mistake about the misattributed video; all fixed up now!

Hey Im one of many design school graduates aspiring to become a car designer someday. I have attached my my final jpeg below of the final rendering and the time lapse video link is the following:

Anyways, enjoy and good luck to all the contestants!

Cheers,
Om

freehand paper sketch

enjoy,

good luck to everyone.

jonas

Inspired by Yo!'s call to action, I did another one (and it is a Jeep!). I didn’t have another hour to do a full blown rendering, so instead I followed Yo!'s lead and threw one down in real time. 6minutes and change. The soundtrack was the first thing I came across in my music library that was long enough to play through the whole thing and is in no way a subtle jab at Chrysler quality control :wink:

Anyway, this one is a new-gen Cherokee. It’s a little sportier than the last one and blends an arcing A-C pillar with the traditional solid rectilinear body.

Video is at:

(be patient, it was still processing when I posted!)

Oh, and this one isn’t over my shoulder either, but I just couldn’t figure out a good way to set that up at my desk (this one was done at home)!