Postby ADD » August 2nd, 2008, 7:22 am

ADD
step four
step four

provided adjustment in cleat design for natural arch & ankle posture + carbon fiber base + soft padding ....
Attachments
1HDC_ADD.jpg
1HDC_ADD.jpg (91.16 KiB) Viewed 8858 times

Postby frdiby » August 2nd, 2008, 10:10 am

frdiby
step one
step one

The design I picked features a pull string to tighten the shoe, in hopes it would make it easier to get on and off. Triathlon shoes have a loop on the heel, and I think any biker could benefit from that too.
Attachments
bike shoes.gif
Made in Painter
bike shoes.gif (34.75 KiB) Viewed 8815 times

On the lighter side-Cycle Shoe concept

Postby jerryjupiter » August 2nd, 2008, 11:37 am

jerryjupiter

This minimilistic/lightweight concept is an extrapolation of the "toe clip". The rear of the Carbon fiber sole is a hemisphere which provides arch support. From the top view the Carbon fiber toe protection mimics the climbs in the Alps and Pyrenees.
Attachments
layout copy.jpg

Sastre Shoe Concept

Postby aross » August 2nd, 2008, 12:04 pm

aross

This concept has a carbon sole that wraps over both the heel and toe with an expanded heel bumper to make the walk up to the podium more comfortable.
Attachments
ar_cs_tdf.jpg

1 Hour Design Challenge

Postby mrmccool » August 2nd, 2008, 12:07 pm

mrmccool

I know this is was supposed to be a tour theme challenge, but in lew of the new cycling event taking place at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games I decided to shift the Paradigm of the challenge a bit...
Attachments
shoeflat.jpg

1 Hour Design Challenge

Postby Gusta Vicentini » August 2nd, 2008, 3:20 pm

Gusta Vicentini

That’s my cycling shoes' design. The design was based in traditional shapes and the innovation is the combination of materials and textures.

How did I managed my 1 hour project?
2/6 hour – Brainstorm and sketches
1/6 hour – Photoshop’s masks and drawing lines
3/6 hour – Colors, textures, shadows and highlights
Attachments
gustavicentini_cycling shoe design.jpg

Vive le Tour!

Postby dapore23mj » August 2nd, 2008, 4:24 pm

dapore23mj

I drew inspiration from both cycling shoes and sprinter's track spikes. Support is a crucial aspect for a cycling shoe, not only for the foot but also to allow every last ounce of energy to get transfered into the pedal instead of the sole flexing. I was also inspired by the new FlyFit technology that Nike is using in their Hyperdunk basketball shoes.

Both of the designs incorporate the FlyFit material and tech since it is great solution for reducing weight (road racers' enemy) while still providing a supportive fit for those long rides. By adding it to a mesh upper it provides the wearer's foot stability while still allowing breathability. The sole plate is a rigid molded piece with ribs that help to strengthen it under vertical forces during pedaling allowing the rider to minimize energy lost from a felxible sole.
Attachments
Cycling-comp-copy.jpg
about 45 minutes
Last edited by dapore23mj on August 2nd, 2008, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby murrf » August 2nd, 2008, 6:05 pm

murrf

In general i didn't feel there was much scope for improvement in current cycling shoes, so i decided to look at a more specific shoe - for triathlon cycling. During the transition from the swim to the cycle, athletes waste valuable time getting their foot in the shoe, then tightening the straps. This design aims to reduce or eliminate these actions.
Attachments
1HDC-Cycling-Shoes.jpg

exo(skeleton) shoe

Postby erubenst » August 2nd, 2008, 9:06 pm

erubenst

sorry for multiple post....first time; and first time pretending to be a designer.

("keep your day job, till your night job pays")

-eric
Attachments
ExoShoe.jpg
ExoShoe.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 8593 times

Postby ppadilla » August 2nd, 2008, 10:56 pm

ppadilla
step three
step three

The main goal in my design is to optimize the strength-to-weight ratio of the shoe for the road racer. The main features are as follows:

-- Nike's Flywire technology is used in new ways to provide a lightweight yet strong support system in the upper.
-- The new Flywire strap system offers superior lockdown, and an integrated heel strap allows for customizable heel fit and lockdown.
-- The elliptical pattern of the new Flywire "web" structure provides increased sidewall coverage with less fibers.
-- The perforated Flywire panel optimizes ventilation & breathability while riding and also helps in the weight reduction of the shoe.
-- A microsuede lining and padded collar add comfort without compromising weight.
-- A carbon fiber sole provides excellent stiffness-to-weight ratio for power transfer.

Design breakdown:
-- Quick sketches (pen/sharpie/prismacolor 30% grey) = 10 minutes
-- Illustrator with quick dodge/burn in Photoshop = 50 minutes

Phil Padilla

The Official Race Shoe

Postby snowdude00 » August 2nd, 2008, 11:58 pm

snowdude00

I designed a race shoe with neoprene so it could be slipped on while giving the skin tight comfort that neoprene provides. I applied support to the heel and toe then used a large Velcro strap on the top of the foot for support.

The design process for me on this project started with 3 small thumbnail size sketches, and then I chose the strongest of the 3 sketches. I made a larger sketch and refined the design, and made 2 final sketches to show the side in more detail and the function of the Velcro strap. I spent the rest of the hour rendering in photoshop
Attachments
board_sketches.jpg
The Official Race Shoe
board_sketches.jpg (144.72 KiB) Viewed 8541 times

Postby cpvt1987 » August 3rd, 2008, 12:26 am

cpvt1987
step three
step three

The design of this cycling shoe is aimed at the athlete who is not a professional, but is also not just the weekend-warrior. They are the true cycling enthusiast and do it because they simply love to do it. This is the type of man/woman who rides to and from work, rides to campus, rides into the city,etc...basically whenever they can ride, they do. Thus, this concept seeks to eliminate the hassle of changing their footwear, without sacrificing performance or fit.

The design consists of two components that work together to create the ultimate footwear for this targeted user:

MESH SLIP-ON:
--simple, clean design for performance and casual use
--made of lightweight, breathable open mesh
--washable, so that odor and perspiration can be easily removed
--heel and tongue pull-tabs for easy entry & removal
--embossed "fit key" on forefoot allows a snug fit within the chassis and also allows user to "visualize" fit
--functional tread pattern locks into corresponding grooves located on chassis footbed

CARBON FIBER CHASSIS
--made of carbon fiber
--simple ratchet closure system
--forefoot cutout allows embossed "fit key" insertion, and weight minimization as well as breathability
--when removed from feet, they can simply clip to any backpack/bag or can be easily stored elsewhere

THE BIGGER PICTURE
--looking from a larger perspective, this product has a lot of potential in some key areas. Featuring two separate components like this brings the possibility of mass customization to the consumer, allowing them to mix and match items and put their own "spin" on their product. More importantly, this modular design in a sense also hits upon sustainability. By allowing components to be bought separate from one another, large amounts of material waste can be eliminated in the long run.

::55 minutes. Ballpoint sketch, photoshop.
Attachments
1HDC.jpg
1HDC.jpg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 8527 times
Last edited by cpvt1987 on August 3rd, 2008, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tbaker » August 3rd, 2008, 2:59 am

tbaker
step two
step two

Couldn't help myself. Just a quick one this time round.
Attachments
entry.jpg
entry.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 8494 times

nike sweep

Postby brittashcraft » August 3rd, 2008, 12:27 pm

brittashcraft

This shoe was designed with a nike flywire rear cup and a thin patent leather protective vamp. In order to gain as much as advantage as possible the straps were recessed to provide a smooth upper so that there will be that much less wind resistance.
Attachments
shoe copy.jpg

Postby bennybtl » August 3rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four

The entire upper shell is a custom molded foam piece with a glossy outer finish for low drag. It could be custom molded per rider with graphics/colors. The upper shell hooks over the toe and velcros along the side for adjustable fit. The rest of the shoe is a stretchy breathable sock with a minimal rigid sole.

I know nothing about shoes/bike shoes so if this already exists, I apologize.

I had to use my intuos for this and i'm not super fast with it so I went a little over the hour.
Attachments
1hrdc-shoe.jpg

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to one hour design challenges

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list