1HDC -8.04 - Power Tool Submission Forum

Please submit your designs to this forum.

Please keep discussion to the discussion forum: 1HDC 08.04 - Do-it-Yourself Power Tool

Hi All,

This is my TRI-X Power Tool Concept. Main features include:

• Combination of power drill + tube or wire cutter + grinder/polisher
  • Rotating gear head allows multiple hand/tool positioning during operation
  • Protective shield and hand-grip for maximum safety
  • Rechargeable 12V battery docks on the back of the tool

Enjoy,
L2D

Hammer Head Plyers w/ ScrewDriver Tips - 1 Hour Thought

www.AmronExperimental.com

Done using solidworks in less than an hour.

Our homes deserve better than powertools that look and feel plasticky!
After all, our homes are our prized possession.

sorry, but i don’t buy this was done in one hour…

Well south Africa doesn’t have power recently with its bad power cuts so I designed the ultimate power less power tool.
It runs only on carrots!

You can cover it with different designs but the initial internal ability is the seller

Although it only has a 1-2 year lifespan and no guarantee for pet owners

this tool blows hard!

Fill up basketballs, paint your house, inflate tool toys, blow the cobwebs out of the crevices. Also works great for drying off after a swim! Towels are for sissies!

My take on a Cordless Screwdriver/Drill - Self standing.

Couple quick sketches- 10 min.

photoshop- 45 min.

50 of us working at the same time will get it done in 1hr.

Putting the ‘power’ in power tool. Literally.

Traditional gas generators are horribly inefficient and troublesome to operate. Give those powerpacks a trickle charge curtousy of the sun. Built in batteries and inverter allow traditional wall outlet tools to be used as well. It is based on traditional generators, and the branding of an unnamed company. (Any Guesses?)

Fully charged whenever you are, this low cost IKEA® power tool will easily turn flat pack into functional furniture.

I remember reading an article featured here which mentioned something about power-tools being some of the most under utilised products purchased by most households with an average usage time of 20 minutes or so in a lifetime.

So my proposal is to have the local DIY/Home Fix store have a On-Demand Power-tools corner with mix-n-match possibilities!

A power-tool in essence consist of these 4 elements which I have narrowed down to:

1. A Handle of some sort
  2. Drill/Tool Bit
  3. Rotational Drive Shafting
  4. Power Plant

Of which I have condensed into the 4 modular blocs of the tool:

A. Handle/Power Plant (H.P.)
Cylindrical high capacity capacitor units with nice kraton grips for those sweaty palms. Battery packs are to be charged and maintained by the DIY store (hopefully in a environmentally-friendly manner since the customer rents it for a couple of days and shouldn’t be bothered with this task). This maintenance of the tools can be efficiently carried out and malfunctioning parts and can be easily identified and sent for servicing.

B. Central Hub
The core of any power-tool you require, it contains a multi-directional heavy duty servo rig that can be oriented to any of the 6 connector holes available featuring a dual twist locking system (i.e. twisting right then left and right again… you get the drift)

C. Tool/Drill Bit
Be it saw, drill, screwdriver or any form of tooling that involves rotational drive, it would be part of the arsenal.

Lastly there are the miscellaneous components like switches and hub-covers to patch up unused connector holes etc.

Errata: In the drill drawing, the cylinder in the centre was supposed to be an additional connector shaft in between the the two hubs to provide enough torque to get that hole you want in your wall.

P.S. Come to think of it it must have been apollo/soyuz memories from childhood that provided inspiration XD

Hey Guys,

Here’s my submission to the contest:

DuoSaw

This product is aimed at the DIYer who would love more tools but has neither the funds nor the space for them. It’s modeled after the concept of a router/router table, where you can take the expensive components (the motor, the blade/bit, the electronics etc.) and utilize them in two different applications.

This design allows for the purchase of a circular saw that can be used as is, or can be mounted into a custom table saw table. The table would be significantly cheaper than an actual table saw as it merely serves as a base for the circular saw and does not contain any electronics or pricey components itself.

The circular saw would mount to a hinged arm underneath the table, which would still allow for the adjustable blade height present in current table saws. It could also utilize the tilting action of the circular saw for making mitered cuts.

Features:

• Low cost, allows for one time purchase of expensive components
  • Combines two tools into one package for relatively low space requirements
  • Gives DIYers access to tools normally only available to more serious woodworkers
  • Form language would be gender neutral to appeal to both the women interested in being self sufficient and doing their own projects, without making those macho DIY men feel like they bought girly, substandard tools

Thanks!

Most powertools have something in common : they use a rotary motion. The idea is to reuse the same motor for different tasks by changing the front part of the powertool. Therefore, you save not only the motor, but a lot of material when buying a new powertool (or accessory in this case).

I didn’t had time to draw the function of the rotating handle : by changing the shape of the object you can create other powertools such as this one :

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/Pictures/Dewalt%20Cutout.jpg

Basically wanted to create a drill/screw driver that doesn’t require charging, the idea uses the same principles as Trevor Bayliss wind up radio where you pump the grip handle to charge a dyno. This way your not waiting for the battery to charge, you get some exercise and your saving the planet.

Post it note sketches = 10min
Final line work and render = 40min
Final pres = 10min

This is the first challenge I’ve done and i really enjoyed it, would welcome and crit.

Inspiration While no time for research, myself became the target group and source of inspiration. I move quite a lot and don’t have much space. Simmilar situation for single households or people who just started working after college. I need tools for simple every day task like fixing my bike, ikea hacks or opening my desktop computer case. Most powertools make me feel nerdy.

Design approach Instead of having an articulating head, this power tool is designed to be used the same way people use a screwdriver where your own hand is the articulating axis. This enables you to use the tool fast and easy even for tricky tasks around the household. Small form factor is possible by using latest lithium ion battery technology, which is constantly getting better every year. It has a gender neutral design language, that silently takes his place on the shelf when it‘s not in use. The cap includes a Integrated bitholder in one side and a magnet pad to hold screws on the other side to become a complete package ready to use all the time without the hassle of finding the right bit.

I redesigned a chainsaw for contractors, forestry, and deconstruction. Here she is:

Battery powered chain saw.

OK, I went over 15 minutes because I got caught up throwing some color on my thumbnail page… sorry. I focused on a simple, rechargeable driver drill. This has to be the most common home power tool, and you are usually looking for it in a jam when you come home from Ikea at 10pm and want to start putting stuff together. I wanted to move away from the wannabe contractor aesthetic and more into a home appropriate look. Also thinking of people with small apartments, or loft spaces (ie no garage for a work bench), I sketched up a simple wall mount recharging station with a bit center that you could hang in a closet or pantry for easy access.