1HDC v1.0 - Voting

my vote goes to Xavierfg

Why

Because it makes perfect sense, and is a little bit different. At first i didnt think it would work. But after having a shower that night and realised that yes infact when i do pick up the shampoo and massage into the head i dont nead any water, and this system would be automatic as well, and not toooooo high tech.

Very similar to bbarns, i.e car wash shower, but i felt that with a programad device for me personally would really annoy me i.e i would run out of time etc… and wouldnt react directly with the user where as this does.

Ok so its not going to save heaps amount of water but lets be in honest, can u really expect the average user to be that bothered, many users only care if it effects there wallet.

can see some issues i.e accidently knocking could mean the shower doesnt work. and how would u combat if u dont have enough shampoos to fill the 3 slots? im assuming if one slot is empty the shower doesnt spray.

Some other people i would like to point out:

Meloves cookies- lovely quick sketch work, nice idea but again could see skanky dirty water in a bucket putting me off showering all together lol

Nick_marks - nice presentation, was unclear though how they would actually aid water though.

bbarn- again cracking sketch work, and nice idea but mentioned why i didnt vote for you above

rkuchinsky- loved the idea, would be a very very good device for the high end multimillionair market, and featured in uber posh hotels, loved the lady as well:p

cwaitzid: steam shower

I was originally going to design a shower concept based on steam. But I noticed that cwaitzid beat me to it!

I like the concept because it potentially reduces the amount of water usage when you don’t need it without sacrificing the user’s comfort. I read somewhere that Buckminster Fuller had a ‘steam-shower’ in the Dymaxion House. Dymaxion house - Wikipedia

Ooops, found the link: http://www.wnet.org/bucky/bathroom.html. Looks like Bucky did have a ‘fog-gun’.

zt67638:
I liked all the foot pedal switches but the tube shower head application seems like it would save the most amount of water, it does look very “Wii-mote” like, but i think its an all around good idea.

my vote is for benz119-tube shower head

thx for voting me in dude
kinda like your idea either but do i have to replace my fish everytime i take a bath?

bbarn, love your idea you totally knock me off by your sketch techniques also the concept is very strong but light indicator may not work that well since people will have a hard time looking for something while there’s a soap bubble storming upon their head for sure…

john, your work are very close to my school project right now mayb we can talk about this later :smiley: :smiley:

well… there’re a lot more of my favorite out there but i have to put my vote on hanyi very nice modular system, simple but have a potential
can adapt to both shower and bath

Thanks for the kind remarks.
Maybe it wasnt fully explained, but the idea is that you can change this system to meet your showering needs and with time each person in the family can learn to reduce their shower times with its help.

and benz…
same as above about explanations. I should have been clearer about the audible warning possibility to alert a cycle change so that you dont have to always rely on a visual time check (washing your face is a good example)
I think I only noted that in the text :frowning:

I guess overtime you understand your personal shower habits and can really make a difference in water consumption when you are able to understand where you are wasting.

As for my vote, I am still deciding. Everyone has stepped up and there are some good results for what the competition was designed for. I didnt think that core would be able to pull something off like this. I see it often on PDF and wasnt confident that it would take off here. Im glad it has.

I still like michocolombia’s idea mostly for the hassle free aspect of it.

I think people don’t do more to conserve because it can become another chore. People are already in such a rush that I think the best solutions are one’s that don’t require the user to really do anything they wouldn’t normally do except buying and installing the product. A product that will make sure the water conservation is happening whether you’re conscious of it or not.

That’s why I did my concept the way I did, after installing the device between your existing showerhead and the pipe, it’s purely intuitive. When you don’t want to get wet, step away and it’ll restrict the water. When you do want water, just step towards it and it’ll come on. There’s no thought needed but you save water.

Micho’s idea has a similar vein of the conservation (or use of a natural byproduct in his(?) case). The user isn’t given an extra chore to do. Most of the other concepts require the user to go out of their way to move things or program things, etc. It’s easy for somebody to just say screw it and just do a regular shower if they’re in a rush. Then the product doesn’t work at all if the person doesn’t have to use it. People’s appliances still blink 12:00 so they miss the other features and benefits of their purchase.

So I like ideas that once in place, they’ll conserve water whether you remember to do something or not, but without punishing you or giving you more work to do (filter changing, etc).

I really like some of the sketches posted also, lots of nice styles floating around.
Good luck everyone.

I’m voting for the Furo Scrubber.

Cool idea! Seems like something I might use shaving.

cuototo, thanks for the vote.

-I think you are exactly right, we must focus on redesigning the user rather than designing products that are suppose to automatically change our lifestyle.

-in response to the “wash-away” coating i originally wanted this to happen so the user would see that there is damage being done to the mat and relate that to the effect that thier shower has on the earth- however, you are right, a thermo-chromic approach would extend the life of the product.

you had a lot of really great ideas i liked the earth sponge and agree that products like these can totally help support fund raising because they would cost so little to make-A Great Direction

• Very exciting competition , ready for the next one!

michocolombia’s idea is very smart to collect excess steam – it considers a way to conserve water in a manner that isn’t obtrusive or annoying, and that doesn’t require a user to alter their behaviors in any idealistic or unrealistic way.

the concept is great because it can run alone without disrupting routines or processes, and may even have other benefits - like making the bathroom less muggy when the user steps out of the shower, or the fact that this collected water is already distilled. while water in its liquid form is what most of us thought of to conserve, this idea’s merit is the consideration of water in its gas form, which i think is very creative.

I think that there is a great deal of development potential in this clever concept.

My vote: benz119
Reasoning is that it was an idea that I wanted to peruse (see below) I think manually pausing water is a nice solution to conserve usage.

I would have voted for TheDougStone, but there was no ideation of any kind. The concept was cool but the execution just wasn’t there. There was a good opportunity for sketching up some forms and human factor exploration.

I also liked skinny’s work (he beat me to posting it!) but I had thought of it as more of a manual “pausing” of water flow. I am just not completely convinced with the sensor route. I would have to say that at least 60% of the time I am in a public bathroom, sensors for sinks are always on the fritz. I am standing there waving my hands or just waiting for water to come out. I notice that people are playing musical sinks a lot because one always seems to be down. I just imaged being in the shower and moving back and forth trying to get the water back on. Maybe im being over critical of sensors, but i just haven’t had the best luck personally. It seems to jsut be sinks though, not toilets, so who knows?

I like the idea of storing the steam but could never get myself to brush my teeth with that water.

Great work on everyones part. There are some great ideas out there.

i’m voting for john. (first submission of page 5)

i agree with the person who said there’s maybe too much tech involved with these designs, but i think the tech was kept at a minimum for john’s design. i like how it simply shows and reminds a person of how much water they are using, as opposed to forcing them to use less, or making annoying sounds, or being an irritant. quiet and effective, i think. the presentation was also clean and clear and easy to understand.[/b]

Although rkuchinsky touched the subject first, I think that skinny’s idea is more feasable and I can see it more widely accepted due to only needing to install to your current shower head.

Now that doesn’t mean that i dont like the idea of being able to turn up the water with a signal… but what happens when you reach up to scrub your head and the tempurature turns to scalding hot?! There must be a better way… Bring on the voice commands!!

I like the bucket by melovescookies and the sponge tile by hanyi, both simple ideas. However, my vote goes to melovescookies’ bucket, as I think the tiles would need to be squeezed out into a bucket anyway, before taking the water out of the bathroom, adding a step in the process.
That said, I think the idea could have been taken a step further to maximise the amount of grey water collected, cuz I don’t see why you should stop at one slim bucket when you could potentially be reusing maybe 90% of your shower water.

Was pleasantly surprised to see a few ideas that were identical to some of my initial concepts…I guess its reassuring to connect with like minds :slight_smile:

Great idea the 1HDC…looking fwd to the next one!

My vote is for Vinyl103.No need to worry what’s in the saved and recycled water. It’s going right down the toilet,anyway. No more wasting clean water. The system could easily be installed to a homeowners existing plumbing or in new home construction.

You have until 12 PM PST (7 PM GMT) Monday to cast your vote! Vote now if you haven’t already!!!

My vote is for zt67638 (Fish bath mat)

Seems like a clever and simple idea… no complicated bells and whistles, just a gentle reminder to cut back on the water. Will cross cultural and language boundaries easily as well. Clear presentation too, without having to click on the image to read the text. Well done.

I liked BBarn’s idea too. Am thinking if there’ll be a “guest” setting for friends and relatives that stay over?

Good luck, all!

As of 9 PM PST (4 AM GMT) we have a tie for first between BBARN and melovescookies with a whole pile of you with 1 and 2 votes.

Get your last minute votes in to get your favorite into the top and give them a chance to win the Wii!

We’ll collect the final votes Monday afternoon and will aim to announce the winner Tuesday AM.

skinny.

why? is on page 1.

Low-tec, elegant, smart.

I vote for Kris952’s pebble concept. I like the simplicity and the lack of technology. That was also my favorite fable as a youth. :smiley:

Closed!!!