1HDC v1.0 - Submissions Only

Shower Savings System

When a user jumps into the shower, all they have to do is to click their name from the touch sensitive selection screen.

The system then measures the amount of water used in the shower along with a time indicator.

Once the person has finished showering, instead of showing the amount of litres/gallons being used, the amount of water used is represented by standard 600ml bottles. This allows the user to visually relate to how much is being used instead of trying to figure out what 70 litres looks like for example.

The screen changes again and then shows todays shower usage compared to the past weeks. Colours are used to show the various levels of water usage.

A final screen is brought up comparing that persons average usage to everyone else’s.

This system doesn’t restrict the users from using less water or forces them into changing their ways, but instead helps the user to realize how much water they are actually using, and allows them to do something about it.

Also by tuning into the competitive nature of people, it help decrease water usage in the shower by users trying to reach the top of the score board by using less water.

john

45mins photoshop
10mins drawing/scanning
5mins research

My submission conserves water by making it easier to shut off the flow. While we all brush our teeth, shave, wash our hands etc… we waste a lot of water by letting it run. Lets face it, it would be annoying to constantly turn the handles back and forth in order to conserve water while we accomplish these tasks. The foot pedal would take care of this while maintaining your desired temperature and flow. I believe this could also be applied to the kitchen sink.

:wink:

My idea deals with the task of taking a shower in a non conventional setting, in this case outdoors in an area where conventional plumbing options are not available.
The portashower uses solar heat to warm the water to a tolerable temperature which is housed in the plastic reservoir which can be winched to a tree branch. During the shower process, dirty water is funneled into the base which is hollow and is fitted with a removable filter that filters out the majority of soap scum and dirt particles. Once the shower is complete the shower curtain is removed and the top reservoir can be lowered into the base, secured by screwing the two together, and then flipped upside down so as to filter the water back into the reservoir for the next user.
While the thought of reusing dirty bath water may be absolutely unacceptable to some, as someone who spent the first 10 years of their life sharing bath water in a family of 5; it’s something one can learn to accept, especially when water is a precious resource.

30mins sketching
5mins trying to get Photoshop to recognize my scanner
20mins in Photoshop

~55mins total

Water Wasting Awareness Campaign

To encourange people not to waste water.

and how I envision it might look in context

…obviously it would nee to be laminated, goes without saying really.

After shower, you can see a lot of water on the tiles. That can be the water directly coming out from the shower nozzle, or that coming from the steam by the hot water. Either way, those water won’t be able to use anymore. But. what if we can collect both water and steam.

The idea is Sponge Tile.

The sponge is attachable on the ceramic tiles. The theory is like put together Lego. After the sponge is full with water, just take a piece and squeeze it on whatever you want to use it for. It can be used for your toilet or watering your plant etc. Also, because the sponge it located on the wall, it can avoid collecting filth or hair.

The basis of my idea is to avoid wasting water when using taps. Instead of the standard ways of turning taps on and off there would simply be 3-4 buttons, each with a set function illustrated by an icon. As shown in the drawing the lower button has a toothbrush on and pressing it will give a shot of water, enough for wetting a toothbrush. The second (hands) will give a 20 second supply of water, enough for washing hands or other similar tasks. The third (a basin) will provide enough water to fill the basin for tasks such as shaving. The fourth button could be set when bought individual for each user. The temperature of the water would be determined by moving the actual tap from left (cold) to right (hot) to avoid the need for any other buttons.

By doing this hopefully the minimum amount of water is used for each task, which is definitely preferable to simply leaving the tap running while brushing teeth, shaving etc.

(Unfortunately me not having access to a decent computer today has led to me having to show my drawing ability without its much needed photoshop touch up!!!)

An automatic faucet with a motion sensor/detector that also measures distance of the subject. In this case, it measures the distance of the hand of a person from the water source. The farther the hand from the sensor, the stronger the water output, and the nearer the hands get to the sensor, the amount of water reduces. The person using it can control the amount of water coming out of the fixture by just adjusting the distance of his/her hands from the sensor.

My concept is a throne (or basically chair) that you can put in your shower, It allows you to do two things:

• Sit down while showering, something that I enjoy doing, as well as a few other people I’ve asked;

• Save water.

How does sitting down help you save water? Well, the chair is hollow, and the surface is covered in small holes that allow the water to drain through the chair and into the bucket underneath it. After each shower, the bucket can be easily removed and the water re-used for a number of things. The chair is covered with little squishy silicone domes to make it more comfortable to sit on. I guess there could be a smaller “Shower Stool” or something for smaller showers. Also, there could be some sort of filtering system that removes most of the soapiness from the water before it reaches the bucket. I didn’t have the time to include any of that in the presentation, I’m a slow worker normally! But I think it’s feasible considering that it’s cheap to make (monobloc chair really!) and a novel concept that would put smiles on people’s faces (I hope!)…

First ever design competition entry.

my submission

hope im not too late

i spent about 40 minutes from idea to assembly on this idea during lunch

this design goes on the basis of collecting the water that is commonly found on the floors of our bathrooms, water left in the sink or tub, as well as the steam from a hot shower.

the idea is simple. a set of extruded halfpipes hung from a curved ceiling. the condensation hits the ceiling and is directed downwards and into the half pipes. from here the water flows into a collector pipe to a pail, or directly outside to your garden.

this design eliminates the need for a bathroom fan for water steam removal, the pipes will eventually collect the steam and transport it for you.

the halfpipes can be cut to fit the dimensions of your bathroom. the ceiling panels can be adhered with a type of culk or glue right over your existing ceiling, and can have various profies for decorative achievements. the halfpipes connect to the ceiling with snap fit rods.

the size of the pipes may differ, the ones i illustrated look huge, obviously they can be smaller with more pipes.

thanks
-ken-

Here is a concept that uses the clean water in the toilet reservoir to water your plants hydroponically. It also brings beauty, air quality, and odor control to your bathroom environment.

PREMISE:
So, a lot of time and water wasted taking a shower happens when one is grabbing and sudsing up their soap.

INSPIRATION:
This idea takes it’s inspiration from the time-savings already utilized by self-serve car washes. At a self-serve car wash, one flicks a switch to change from water to soapy water. Why not have that in the bathroom?

DESIGN:
This concept would allow the user to use a soap-module that would attach to a shower head. Once the user would need soap, they would rotate the soap-module to allow the soap to mix into the water stream. Once released, gravity would return the soap-module to its starting position.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
The angle that the user rotates the soap-module could dictate the amount of time that the soap would be mixed into the water stream. With a simple ratcheting system, it could act as a reverse timer.

10m Ideation
30m Form and Concept Ideation
20m Photoshop and Scanning

Put this together waiting for a flight, so it’s kinda rough.

Since while applying bath products (shampoo, soap, etc.), the shower water is not utilized, I thought up a holder for bath products that detects when they are being used.

Place your products on each dish. The sensor is connected to a solonoid valve on the shower head that controls the water flow.

When a product is removed, the sensor tells the valve to close, stopping the water and letting you apply your product. This reduces water waste with little concious effort.

It is designed to be applied to new or prexisting bath hardware, so a new shower setup is not necessary since it can be retrofitted.

Gotta catch a flight, good luck everyone![/img]

IDEA:

The Cirle of Life

-Water in shower is filtered down into grass starter trays beneath shower.

-When grass reached self sustainability the tray is then transfered to the roof of the building.

-Rooftop grass trays collect water which is then filtered into tank and used for next shower or non-potable water applications.

-Rooftop grass decreases buildings temperature which reduces needs for more showers.

Here’s what I came up with. It seems a few other people had similar ideas though.

ur[s]in[k]al

Hey guys! Do you like to pee in restrooms? How about saving water?
Well, uh, here’s this thing.
Gravity-fed grey sink-water washes down urinal backing.
Single, multiple, or distance-drained.
For [public] restrooms, say… in a federally-funded park, overpriced restaurant, or someplace with a budget.
Privacy dividers optional [ruins concept-purity!!]
Utterly inefficient / Better off with waterless urinals [http://www.dailycal.org/sharticle.php?id=21342] or a ditch, lined with shrubs…seriously.

The idea was to eliminate the root cause of a running tap. We all do it. While lathering our hands, before we wash off the soap, for instance.

Changing the operational interface to a foot-controlled pressure system helps to stem the wastage of water.

CLOSED!