1HDC v1.0 - Discussion

Hello first of all I wanna thank everybody at Core77 for a great competition
and also ip_wirelessly for bringing up the idea.

Secondly I just wanna comment on an important subject:

Shouldn’t there be a rule of first looking in the thread before posting to avoid people from
duplicating or stealing ideas and to provide for a fair judging procedure
(or maybe that is exactly what some people do to find ideas)?

I dont blame anyone but I think it seems odd that one user have made an almost
exact copy of my design idea and as it seems even lent some of my words.
Since this is a one hour challenge the time between our entries is enough.

This is no direct accusation of copycat but its not that funny to see
when it could attenuate ones chances :frowning:

Other than that I must say Im really happy to see such vast differentiation
and so many good and inspiring ideas.
Ive picked my favorite at the moment but I wont tell until voting starts :wink:

Thx for listening/ AquaStealth

Well, it will be pretty obvious if there’s any “copying” because the one who first came out with the idea will obviously have posted it first.

On the other hand, I do see many similar ideas and the only speculation I have is, these posters did not go through the thread to browse through the entries before entering theirs. I won’t blame them because the entries accumulate and it takes time read them through.

Anyways, I believe that things will become very clear once the voting starts. I still strongly advise that anyone who casts his/her vote should include a description on the reason for the vote, and perhaps include advices and such. After all, this is really an opportunity to learn, not compete.

Well spoken “molested_cow”

However it could be a good idea to implement this rule in the future,
to at least glance at the other entries should be everyones responsibility
before you enter as you should cast your vote further on.

can’t believe i forgot this, but i just remembered looking through the submissions, and seeing the ‘pee-poo’ one.

in israel (and other middle eastern countries?) where water is obviously a lot scarcer, dual-flush toilets are mandatory whenever new toilets are installed. they are simply a two button push pad, one larger button and one smaller one, to signify larger and smaller flushes.

also i’ve seen the foot pedal sink, and i had forgotten about that too. there was one at a summer art program that i took, for washing off palette boards, brushes etc. it really did work how the footpedal submission suggests, plus there were no handles to get in the way of the giant plexiglass palettes. the only issue i had with it was that you couldnt press both hot and cold water at the same time.

edit: ican’t find a picture of the dual flush button, but here’s what is essentially looks like. (i think another advantage to it is that all you have to do is press a button, instead of pressing down a gross metal handle)
dual-flush-button.jpg

and you can be sure that in Israel they have a sensor taps too.

smartb1.jpg

true, but those are fairly common in america as well, though i assume for more sanitary reasons than eco-friendly ones… (-although- the sensor ones at my school are solar powered too…)

Most surgerys use them and the IR units are off the shelf from many vendous being very popular in hotel and resturant public rest rooms.

I was thinking about the blind submission also. It may be easier for someone to wait until near the end, find the best idea so far and then refine it to make it better and then come out on top.
Here’s a potential scenario:
-everyone submits blind during the submission period
-then once the submissions are closed, the thread is open to show for a couple of days or so to allow for any back and forth type of discussion between the public and designers.
-then the judges choose the winners.
That may also lessen the possibility of someone unknowingly borrowing from a previous post. I know I had some ideas after reading Micho’s dehumidifier post but I didn’t because for a contest like this with a time limit, it would make things unfair. So I just wrote what direction I thought his concept could go into to make it more viable, regular discussion stuff. It wouldn’t be fair if I made an entry of my suggestions/application enhancement and then won if it was based on his initial work. If we were working together in an office, then it would definitely come out but as a team effort.

Maybe that’s something to think about for the next contest.

How about a “concept refinement” thread. People submit their raw ideas and everyone is free to work off of each other for a certain time period to see where the concept progresses to. In that case, all submitters would have to acknowledge who’s work is being integrated or sprung off of if it’s not obvious. Then in the end a “virtual prize” (basically just a title of 1st-3rd) could be given to the members of the “virtual team” that ends up with the best concept in the end. Then people can benefit from others that have various experience levels, etc. That might be kind of interesting.

The peer voting is already doing exactly what I expected. I like the current system b/c it has a check and balance. The peer voting should weed out the copy cats, call BS on concepts, call BS on the time limit, etc.

The Core77 Admin then has the ability to call BS on the peer system making sure there isn’t some flood of friends voting for someone’s concept.

All in all, I am quite happy with how its turning out.

Ironically, I did a full concept but ended up not submitting b/c when I looked through the submissions forum there was a similar concept already (the rainwater toilet).

I didn’t finish the presentation b/c being the guy running the competition I think it would be bad form to jump in and cause a stir :wink: Even though I would LOVE to have a Wii…hehe.

skinny made some really good points.
edit: I mean for the blind submissions

I’m liking the 1HDC as it is right now. It’s nice and simple. Refining the designs after being voted etc. as Skinney suggested would kind of take away from the whole design in 1 hour.

As for copying, I’m sure if people vote properlly and look through all the designs they’ll be able to spot any clear copy-cats and simply not vote for it.

Aquastealth - I think it’s more a case of the person that ‘copied’ your idea had not looked through previous entries. No one could be that stupid as to copy in a competition like this could they?
Remids me of being at uni, getting started on a new breif (along with 30 other people in the studio), walk around to the other side of the studio and seeing someone has exactly the same idea as you! Just coincidence really…

Dual flush toilets: They have dual-flush toilets in the States now. They aren’t as popular of course, but I’ve seen them in Home Depot.

Copycats etc: I don’t think a blind post is necessary, in fact, I think it would reduce the quality of the submissions. I submitted my idea smack in the middle, and I did go through the posts before starting. What it made me do was push further out to come up with something unique because all of the low-hanging fruit was taken.

Just think if it was a blind submission and we had 10 dual flush toilet designs in there. No matter how well done they presentations and designs were, they would look less original and probably be passed over.

Also, I agree with melovescookies…we will know who the first poster was with any given idea!

i think the format so far seems to work alright. I had also considered the concept of blind posting or holding all the submissions until deadline, to give less incentive to those starting late, or ability to review everything before putting together your entry.

i wouldnt be so worried about copying, but more that its too easy to look at whats submitted so far, and then address a work-around in your concept. most competitions you can’t see what’s already entered.

that being said, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

i wonder about the demo of the entries, just out of curiosity. mostly students i would assume, as many concepts seem that cleaning or hygine arent really addressed. (perhaps the outcome from those who have never needed to clean their shower and aware of the potential stank and mold issues from standing water.)

im not 100% clear how/when voting is supposed to work, but i second the notion that all votes must come with a short sentence or two of “why” and/or other comments.

R

5 Minute Warning!!!

hey, im one of the newcommers and i wonder how and when the winner is choosen? Then also how do I vote. I liked many of the ideas, mine was the little washingbeast. Anyways, I also wondered if some of you knew some good designbureaus in Italy. I would like to do a stage there( now study a master). Thank you for all tips. It will be fun to see who the winner is. Take care all of you
Emma

Voting is now open!!

Place your vote in the Voting thread: 1HDC v1.0 - Voting

Please put your vote AT THE TOP and provide some feedback as to why you voted the way you did.

Remember: YOU DON’T GET TO VOTE FOR YOURSELF

I saw this urinal come up on product dose today and it made me think of this thread:

Waterless urinals can save 40,000 gallons of water per fixture per year, based upon a typical commercial installation. Further, this product has redefined the paradigm for urinal design and functionality by offering a virtually splash-free surface along with odorless, easy-to-maintain performance.

Waterless, splash free and beautiful. I wish a Kohler designer had taken part in our challenge;)

Nice!

Wouldn’t want to head the user tests though.

Living In Europe. I have seen and used the water-less toilet. You see them in Gemany and France in gas stations. The sink wit sensor or foot switch you also can find there and are used for many years. In France they used the 1 push button (that comes back in +/-30 sec in sinks and showers.

The idea of collecting used or rain water (called gray water)and using that for flushing the toilet or watering the plants is also in use and build in in some new development projects in Holland.

My feeling with electric systems for saving water is that electrics and water do not mix well. It must be a low voltage system. And are we saving so much water compared to the electricity used for running this?

B-art