some thoughts for the next one

hehe :smiley:

I think that the prize could be symbolic. (Aldough real prizes are also nice.)

It will be a problem to ship the prizes overseas… special fees may apply depending on customs legislation.

I already mentioned this to ip, but check out the CG talk forums. They also have contests, and the winners get an iconic trophy that is proudly shown under the user avatar in the forum and the portfolio.

I don’t know if this forum system would allow that, but it would be worth taking a look at. Here is an example: CGTalk | Armour Brigades, Georgi Simeonov (2D)

It is also a nice way to keep people using their corefolio and being nice on the forums. It could reduce the number of anonymous “design god” flamers on the forum.

MAYBE having the contest weekly will end up reducing the number of people that participates. It will also be more difficult to get jurors and sponsors to giveaway wiis (or whatever) in a weekly basis.

Having it weekly might also overlap the posting and the voting process.

Thread voting could work and avoid people voting for themselves, but it will also be a hard work to count all the votes if we have a lot of entries.

Maybe we could use guest jurors from the ID world and rotate them every time… (the jurors could be from the specific field of the contest theme)

It would also be nice to have the entries anonymous until we know the winners.

Another option would be to develop a voting system that would allow you to vote 2 times. You could spend a vote for yourself (if you think you really deserve it), but the other vote should be for someone else.

Could some of that work? :unamused:

should we also have students and pros in 2 different categories?

I don’t think so. The quality of one’s idea is in no means affected by age…IMO.

Well yes, I agree with you and I didn’t mean that. But, this is not an idea contest. Being a design contest, experience will definitely have an impact on how you use that hour.

I thought that design experience and and presentation skills could make a difference, and it wouldn’t be fair for a startup student to be judged with the same parameters as a pro with many years of experience.

So, this rises a good question. What will be the judging parameters?

See the new announcement for 1HDC v1.0 its spelled out in there.

ok I get it :wink:

I think this is a great idea.

Thanks for the support! Can’t wait to see what you produce next week!

*I think these types of challenges are great for so many reasons, first they strengthen our design community. Sharing our process and approach with the short time unveils the honesty of design. The one hour limit gives a feeling of lightness to the result, just throw out the first couple of ideas, when the results could potentially help the world, just focusing our design minds on these types of solutions means our awareness is in the right place. As a community which solves problems this forum could be broadened to attempt to resolve any societal issue, so we owe it to every one to have them more often. Which brings me to the anticipation of the next event. Would prize sponsors aid in awareness and participation ?
Just suggestions: Relevent prize and judges. A DesignAthon style, blind sign-up, with muliple to be announced events, and several overall acknowledgements. It would be beautiful to see the breadth of range we have and the flexibilty we can acheive when stepping out of our comfort areas.

I was thinking about the voting process and I feel like the voting is stupid anyway. I think the best way to handle it is to maybe not even let the voting be a factor in the finalist(s). Who cares how many votes someone gets. when we are dealing with 4 votes -vs- 2 votes, we are splitting hairs. The final is decided by the admin anyway, so maybe get rid of voting and just leave it to discussions until a winner is chosen by the admin.

It could always be set up like the Presidential voting process. You’d have a populous vote and an Electoral College vote. Then it would be drawn out for months because of voting machines and hanging chads.

On a serious note, maybe both would be a good idea. It’s something to think about for the next challenge.

I was thinking about a possible prize for the winner of the 1HDC. As a student, I think it’s important to get my name out there on the web and get some publicity and stuff, you know? So maybe the winner can score a post on core77 with their design displayed and links to an online portfolio or whatever. I think that would be pretty neat.

Also just wanted to say thanks IP for setting this whole thing up, and keep up the good work!

I second Nourmalaeb’s suggestion of just being presented on Core’s page or blog. That kind of fame would be enough for me.

It works well for kicksguide.com’s monthly competition. They then keep a running tally of finalists and winners and then do a “design of the year” prize.

nourmalaeb has a great idea!

I think Yo’s additional “designer of the year” is an excellent idea too.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned.

Instead of serious topics, we can have wacky or funny ones, such as stereotypes that are harmless to talk about. Basically, it’s about exploiting opportunities, be creative in a creative way and quite being politically correct.

I think the mood will be a lot lighter this way.

so when is the next one?

R

Looking to get it fired up now that school is back in. Particulars need to be worked out. Best I can give at the moment is…soon.

1HDC v1.1 wording, prize and topic have all been finalized. Just needing final blessing from HQ to greenlight.

Get ready for the next round!

Don’t forget to stretch.

Between contests, I was thinking we can have something really fun, something that is catered to this particular community.

I am proposing that we can… sketch out our impressions of the forum members? :laughing:

Hey I am serious!