jon_winebrenner

THEME:
Design a Character for your favorite Book, Video Game, or Movie/TV Show

DOORS CLOSE:
Monday February 18, 2013

BRIEF:
We all love us some Sci-Fi. We all doodle characters and robots based on Star Wars or Blade Runner. Maybe creatures are your thing. A dragon from Game of Thrones or LoTR? What's the character for your next children's book? We know you have more in you than another watch or soccer boot. Show us what you got!

JURY:
Discussion forum moderator(s).

CRITERIA:
Designs will be judged purely on subjective opinion of the judge(s). Minimum entry will be 1 8.5” x 11” page of thumbnail sketches, and 1 8.5” x 11” rendering of the final character design. The 1HDC is about your rapid visualization skills in conjunction with a fun topic. Good composition, line weight, and rapid concept development will weigh heavily in the final design.

HOW TO ENTER:
Participants must execute their design in only 1 hour, based on an honor system. Remember, you’re posting to a pile of peers who know what is possible to be done in an hour. To enter, upload your entries to the designated competition forum.

To discuss the challenge and the entries, visit the 1HDC discussion forum.

PRIZE:
Bragging Rights and front page Core77 blog post recognition.
Attachments
1HDC_13.01_character.jpg
1HDC_13.01_character.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

Re: 1HDC 13.01 - Character Design [Discussion Forum]

Postby yo » January 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Man, I don't know about you all, but I'm having a hard time deciding!

AndreC
step two
step two

so many choices I wanna try something though!

sketchroll
step four
step four

Slightly confused by the brief. Are we to design a new character for an existing movie/book/show or design a totally made up character for our own made up movie, book, or show?
My current setup: Core i7 4790 + 16gb ram + 250gb SSD + Windows 8.1 + Adobe Photoshop CC + Yiynova MSP19u

jon_winebrenner

Rereading it, I get your confusion. Go either way, but if you go from your own story, give some background to it so we have a little bit of context.

Re: 1HDC 13.01 - Character Design [Discussion Forum]

Postby yo » January 26th, 2013, 5:34 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Anybody have any ideas as to what character to design?

Some classic scifi like Fahrenheit 451 or 1984?

I was thinking of maybe one of the soldiers in John Scalzi's "Old Man's War", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man's_War

jon_winebrenner

How about how you envision the Buggers from Ender's Game?

NURB

How about Cayce Pollard from Pattern Recognition? There's a pretty good description of her wardrobe in the book. Would make a nice graphic novel style portrait.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

sketchroll
step four
step four

This forum needs a like button. Although, I thought enders shadow was a much better book.
My current setup: Core i7 4790 + 16gb ram + 250gb SSD + Windows 8.1 + Adobe Photoshop CC + Yiynova MSP19u

loic77

I think designing a whole character for a brand new universe is a bit dangerous thing to do if you apply the 1hours limit. I choose to take an existing universe (Adventure Time) and to design something related. I guess just a Boba Fett look-a(like is a bit cliché but if it's really creative why not?

jon_winebrenner

It shouldn't be any more dangerous either way. This isn't about the creation of a polished character. It is about getting your ideas down quickly and (most of all) having some fun.

Don't over think this.

Design coterie
step three
step three

something from Farscape might be fun. I had also considered doing something to fit in the world of Blame! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blame!)

Return to one hour design challenges

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list