Close

INDUSTRIAL DESIGN conpanies in Shanghai

Postby icon » March 28th, 2006, 5:59 pm

icon

Hi all,

I am interested in working in Shanghai as an industrial designer.

Just want to find out a list of design companies in shanghai.

Thanks for your help

Postby yaoyao » March 29th, 2006, 6:39 am

yaoyao

i like shanghai ,my grandparents live there for a long time,haha……cool city ,but it's a pity that the people there are not friendly……i don't know why…… :roll:

Postby jih32 » April 13th, 2006, 3:43 pm

jih32

I am from Taiwan, now studying in Milan
But i think one day i have to go to Shanghai to work... :)

sc0037

1d
Last edited by sc0037 on December 6th, 2006, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: INDUSTRIAL DESIGN conpanies in Shanghai

Postby jih32 » May 6th, 2006, 2:36 am

jih32

hi,sc

can u introduce us more design studio in Shang-Hai ?

I am an ID student from Taiwan and i'd like to find an internship this summer in China. :D

u r so cute,kitch

Postby kikisun » May 10th, 2006, 5:32 am

kikisun

]it's comfortable to use our mother tongue[/color] :lol:

not really

Postby kikisun » May 10th, 2006, 5:34 am

kikisun

yaoyao wrote:i like shanghai ,my grandparents live there for a long time,haha……cool city ,but it's a pity that the people there are not friendly……i don't know why…… :roll:

hi,i'm a industrial designer in shanghai and i dongt think i will not friendly to u :lol:

Postby art » May 18th, 2006, 2:18 am

art

im a industrial designer from the philippines and has been woring in China for 4 yrs now going on my fifth yr. Ive worked in different provinces in china including shanghai.

shanghai is nice with skyscrapers...see Mission oimpossible 3 hehehe

regarding industrial designer community....I would like to suggest or recommend to you our POOL of FILIPINO INDUSTRIAL DESIGNERS currently working on all kinds of fields here in china, middle east and asia. pls send an email to me fatbagster@yahoo.com for more info if we could help you in any way.

Postby one-word-plastics » May 19th, 2006, 1:03 pm

one-word-plastics
step four
step four

I just got back from a few days in Shangahi. I've been there several times and LOVE the city!!

One word of caution. If you are a westerner beware of "deals" by cab drivers. Cabs in Shanghai are rediculously cheap. I mean really cheap. When we got off the Maglev train from the airport (with a ton of luggage) we got in a cab and was told he could get us to our hotel (15 minutes away) for 300RMB "on the meter" or 200RMB "off the meter". Without even thinking my associate signed up for the better deal. I immediately reminded him that it would be the most expensive cab ride we had ever taken in China!!! By then it was too late and we couldn't negotiate anymore. We found out later the cab ride should have cost about 30RMB.

After thinking about it afterwards we realized it was actually a very clever sales pitch. The stupid Americans aways go for the LOWEST price without understanding it was a HIGH price!!

Oh well, lesson learned.
"Life is pretty simple: you do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
—Leonardo da Vinci

Postby symbiont » June 4th, 2006, 4:56 pm

symbiont

Just returned from a visit to Shanghai to set up a design office and pursue several partnerships.

I would say the old Shanghai still exists (i.e. birdcages and laundry hanging off the veranda) but I found welcoming acceptance from local businesses and professionals there.

Shanghai is for the savvy and not the weak. You are measured by your negotiating prowess in all things and the service industry prides itself on doing their jobs blind so they may seem a bit in a hurry to "process" you in a transaction.

Show that you are considering a long term commitment to being in Shanghai and you will be treated like royalty. Stay away from saying that you are there for a short visit.

Shanghai is ruled by expatriates so get familiar with the chamber of commerce to learn about "Guanxi" opportunities.

In the design world, do not overlook the nearby cities of Wuxi and Nanjing. These are where much product development and design education take place. Wuxi is 1.5 hours by train and Nanjing is about 5 hrs away.

Shanghaiese will always keep you late in trying to close a meeting or excuse yourself from an appointment so plan extra time for meetings and appoinments. It is seen as feather in one's cap to lavish your guests with hospitality, compliments and good will when you have associates visiting from the west. Just allow them be generous and you will be treated well.

Learn all you can about Guanxi, as it is the lubrication of social and business relationhships in all of China.

Postby Lesun » June 6th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Lesun

Symbiont,

Are you Steve allard? I am Lesun.

Haha, I am surprised that you know "guanxi".
Here is a design firm in China. I consider there are many chances between different cultrue to collaborate in balance benefit, strategical relationship etc.

Postby yecc » July 7th, 2006, 2:45 am

yecc

Hi all
I am working in Shanghai, born in Shanghai and living in Shanghai. I'm very glad to see the topic talking about my hometown.

It's an amazing city I think.

Here you can feel the history together with the modern. It's a good choice to set up a design house here.

Actually, it's better for you all to visit Shanghai to feel the design environment by yourselves, if you have the chance.

If you want any info of Shanghai, you can contact me: yecc1217@yahoo.com.cn :roll:

Postby darkspirit2005 » July 27th, 2006, 4:55 am

darkspirit2005

i think Shanghai is a big ,beatiful city in China.There you can embody various cultures from Asia.hehe ,you will have a good journey.

Previous

Return to design in asia