Close

interesting...

Postby design-engine » February 5th, 2006, 7:35 pm

design-engine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Ok. I see your point. I know of more than one ID school on the mainland. I wonder how different schools are administered there?

I wonder if the mainland schools are likely to be different as you said and more technical like you say, and more manufacturing sensitive. Would administrators try to bring in more western ideals of teaching? I think if I were running a program in China I would try to offer a western approach. Is that naive?

There are a few very technical ID schools in the states. Humm? It seams to me however that for an industrial designer to really pull from a more creative end of a persons perspective. The technical (where to pull parting lines etc) just takes from the design don't you think. I wonder how they compare? My take on India schools fall in on the more technical.
Bart Brejcha
DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION

http://design-engine.com/category/courses/ SolidWorks surfacing classes

Postby Infini » February 5th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Infini
step three
step three

SEEMS

As for information on how design schooling is being administered in Mainland China and Hong Kong, Lorraine Justice's interview has some insights

http://www.plasticsnews.com/china/engli ... 1138293015

and in greater depth

http://www.innovationlab.eastman.com/In ... ustice.htm

Re: interesting...

Postby csven » February 5th, 2006, 8:59 pm

csven
step four
step four

design-engine wrote:The technical (where to pull parting lines etc) just takes from the design don't you think.

No. Read Marissa Ann Mayer’s article about creativity in BusinessWeek. Or check Bruce Nussbaum's comments on her.

Nice links, Infini. Thanks. (Now back to the game)

Postby design-engine » February 5th, 2006, 9:36 pm

design-engine
full self-realization
full self-realization

To me and correct me as I am trying to learn here. Hong Kong is not in question since design there has matured for the better part of 20 years.

It is mainland china that is in question since they are the ones who are trying to get their design sensibility higher. Like an engineering firm trying to heir all the industrial designers away from an IDEO.

For them to truly develop further it is design and free thinking that needs developing. And please try not to read all in between the lines.

I will read those articles late tonight. Thanks for the post.
Bart Brejcha
DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION

Postby lingmiester » February 5th, 2006, 10:20 pm

lingmiester
step three
step three

Its really all about a metality. Many people think Chinese have always realised and look to the west as aspirational group or a source of information, westerners are hired only to bring the knowledge and a different point of view. The chinese are amazing in the sense that they know what they dont know and absorb things like a sponge.

I would not pull social or political context into this discussion, as personally i feel it has nothing to do with it. I have worked with many mainland trained designers, and they are just as good or if not better than many of their western counterparts that i have worked with as well.. Its just that the west have been at it a lot longer. Once the schools and the system gets their act together, they will be a design power.

In an analogy just like in Kung Fu movies the master and student way of thinking and learning. And like all movies at the end the student always usurps the master.

Thats why china is going in 5 years where the west took 20.

Postby Rebecca McQuillen » February 14th, 2006, 8:53 am

Rebecca McQuillen

Bart originally posted the request for Mainland China ID & IE because I don't believe there are very many. Anyone note worthy has been educated in the West.

And living and working here I fully understand the difficulty one has to develope creative thoughts. It goes against the culture and education.

Postby molested_cow » February 14th, 2006, 9:29 am

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization

lingmiester wrote:
Thats why china is going in 5 years where the west took 20.

China/ Asia can catch up fast because there is already a goal/standard visible to aim for. They are just trying to catch up on a path that has already been created. The western world took so long because much of it was exploration and experimentation.

I agree that they absorb like a sponge, but because they did not go through the actual process of the exploration that led to the result, it's pretty risky.

I went through Asian educational system and before I was exposed to the "western" way of thought, every question was supposed to come with a supposed answer, and individual, or if not radical, opinions are not welcomed.

Just go onto any of those major cities and look at what the people dress. They share the same hairstyle, have similar fashion and carry similar bags. They even pose the same in photographs.

I have a friend who works at a faucet OEM company and he had difficulty trying to design something that looks "elegant", but it's not about designing something that looks elegant or brave or cute. It's about designing how you feel about the project. If you feel that the design should be elegant, whatever you come out with will look elegant. Therefore at least in my friend's case, they lack the cultural root to develop themselves as individuals, whether as a person or as a designer. They always blame lousy teachers or education system. This may be true, but again it shows the mentality of a "specific answer is supposed to come with a specific question". They expect to become a "designer" by attending a design school.

IMO Asia will progress a lot in 5 years but it will be at a different spot.
Last edited by molested_cow on February 14th, 2006, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rebecca McQuillen » February 14th, 2006, 11:10 am

Rebecca McQuillen

molested_cow

Very well stated. These students go threw college and expect to be designers. They do not fully understand what it means to innovate.

I am a Prof at Fuzhou University and my students only know how to memorize. Yet in the end they learn to use the concepts and come up with thier own thought.

They can do it, it is just something not taught in the education system yet.

Chinese are wise and learning fast.

Postby Rebecca McQuillen » February 14th, 2006, 11:11 am

Rebecca McQuillen

Prof of Marketing. Somehow I missed adding that.... :shock:

Postby lingmiester » February 23rd, 2006, 8:10 am

lingmiester
step three
step three

Working many years in Asia, i whole heartly disagree.

What is "good design" is subjective. M_Cow, i dont know your friend nor his design, but from my experience failing to get a design accepted has many other reasons other that close minded product managers. Reasons such as poor design communication, inability to sell the design, not understanding manufacturing restrictions, not considering bottom line, pushing to the wrong decision makers are all possible reasons. Its too easy to pass off a good design and blame it on the manager.

Yes to a certain extent we can blame the education system, but have you guys seen the ID work comming out of the top ID school in China (cant remember the name off hand)? My god, you will be either afraid, or amazed, or both. The work is as good as or not better than the Art Centre.

True its a path already well travelled, but from what i see coming out of china, i have no doubt that in 5years china will be in a different but BETTER spot.

Postby design-engine » February 24th, 2006, 12:57 am

design-engine
full self-realization
full self-realization

hi rebecca.

The truth is many students need to be prodded into thinking strategically and forced to not fall in love with their design and critical thinking. All are taught through class discussions drawing exercises. From our past phone discussions I think what you are referring to is that culturally is difficult to get students in China to discuss projects openly with other students?
Bart Brejcha
DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION

Postby Infini » February 24th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Infini
step three
step three

Tsinghua University? Quality of the renderings are excellent indeed. My only hesitation would be the strategic through behind the concepts and whether they solve a problem framed from insights?

Postby yaoyao » March 29th, 2006, 6:54 am

yaoyao

ich bin ein chinesisch student, und habe ich in China geboren, aber jetzt studiere ich industrie design in Deutschland.
hi , i am a mainland born chinese student majored in Industry design, and also with fluent English. But most Chinese students i know seem that seldom surfing the forum in English……anyway set the chinese part of the forum is really good ideas, believe me that chinese have spark ideas on design. :P

Postby XXL » May 10th, 2006, 2:59 am

XXL

:roll:
it is really strange……
物有所不足 智有所不明
每天进步一点点:)

Previous

Return to design in asia