Close

Re: I am in Asia

Postby one-word-plastics » April 22nd, 2011, 8:23 pm

one-word-plastics
step four
step four

davidhu wrote:
one-word-plastics wrote:Mei wen ti in South China. Good reception in Shenzhen.

I'm just curious: are you getting by in Shenzhen with English? Or do you speak Mandarin? Funny thing: I visited Hong Kong once and I actually had an easier time getting around speaking English than I did with Mandarin--and I'm fluent in it!

I'm ashamed to say... After 25 years of traveling in the Shenzhen area I only know about 100 words of Chinese. The reason is simple - I'm always surrounded by English speaking people. And with picture menus, phrase books, iPhone translation apps, and a few other tricks I've never been pressed to learn very much Chinese. I really should know more Chinese.
"Life is pretty simple: you do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
—Leonardo da Vinci

Postby one-word-plastics » April 22nd, 2011, 8:25 pm

one-word-plastics
step four
step four

Timf wrote:one word plastics - Wow the knowledge of the Shanghai reception is getting around. Tse Tse, or Mgoi Sai depending on where you are.

davidhu - While Hong Kongers are learning Mandarin, Cantonese is the language of the SAR.

I think that's Xie Xie. That's one of my 100 words.
"Life is pretty simple: you do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
—Leonardo da Vinci

Postby davidhu » April 23rd, 2011, 12:00 am

davidhu
step one
step one

Timf wrote:one word plastics - Wow the knowledge of the Shanghai reception is getting around. Tse Tse, or Mgoi Sai depending on where you are.

davidhu - While Hong Kongers are learning Mandarin, Cantonese is the language of the SAR.

I expected HK would speak Cantonese, but I thought I would be able to get around with Mandarin (I had assumed it was a three-language region, including English), but actually very few people whom I asked for directions on the street understood it.

Let me guess: Tse Tse is thank you and Mgoi Sai is no problem/it's ok in Cantonese?

Postby davidhu » April 23rd, 2011, 12:03 am

davidhu
step one
step one

one-word-plastics wrote:
davidhu wrote:
one-word-plastics wrote:Mei wen ti in South China. Good reception in Shenzhen.

I'm just curious: are you getting by in Shenzhen with English? Or do you speak Mandarin? Funny thing: I visited Hong Kong once and I actually had an easier time getting around speaking English than I did with Mandarin--and I'm fluent in it!

I'm ashamed to say... After 25 years of traveling in the Shenzhen area I only know about 100 words of Chinese. The reason is simple - I'm always surrounded by English speaking people. And with picture menus, phrase books, iPhone translation apps, and a few other tricks I've never been pressed to learn very much Chinese. I really should know more Chinese.

Don't feel bad: back in high school, I met a girl whose parents were Portuguese working in Taiwan, was born and raised in Taiwan (she was 16 at the time), went to an international school in Taipei, and still spoke no more than 10 words of Mandarin. She lived and got around just fine.

Postby Timf » April 25th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Timf
full self-realization
full self-realization

one-word-plastics ; There are different spellings for just about every word in Mandarin. Both your spelling and mine are correct.

davidhu: Hong Kong is trying to be trilingual but as their Mandarin goes up their English goes down.

Postby lingmiester » May 12th, 2011, 12:08 am

lingmiester
step three
step three

I live, work and design in Singapore. I run my boutique Strategic industrial design agency of 3 there. Hit me up if you are in town?

Postby Timf » May 15th, 2011, 7:38 am

Timf
full self-realization
full self-realization

I am in Beijing. Jet lagged, but not as bad as usual.

Postby motocycledog » May 15th, 2011, 5:59 pm

motocycledog

Hey what about South Korea? I am a professor of design here in Seoul. Anyone in Korea?

Postby designbreathing » May 15th, 2011, 9:48 pm

designbreathing
step three
step three

Motorcycledog...I'm in Seoul. Industrial Design Teaching and consulting.
Form follows culture....

I've followed the discussions on this forum since it began...Asia is the future and I'm here to share my views and experiences.

Nice to meet you...http://designsymbiosisblog.wordpress.com/

Postby epic » May 16th, 2011, 9:25 am

epic
step four
step four

designbreathing & motocycledog:

I'm in Seoul. I'm actully not here following the design career path. I've moved here for taekwondo, but I'm teaching English to get by. I would love to get design work here, but the closest I found was working at Hongik University.

If something came up, I'd be interested.

Postby motocycledog » May 16th, 2011, 7:28 pm

motocycledog

Nice to meet both of you
oh hey I teach at Hongik in the Digital Media Department. @epic Where are you studying Taekwondo? @designbreathing where are you teaching and how is the ID consulting going? I am at motocycledog at yahoo.com.

Postby epic » May 16th, 2011, 10:04 pm

epic
step four
step four

mcd: I am training near Gangnam stations - private lessons through someone I met back home. I got told that I'm going to be turned into "Taekwondo robot, like terminator".

I can't wait.

Regarding work, what's the process like to get work at Hongik? I don't have a masters or any university teaching experience.

Postby designbreathing » May 17th, 2011, 7:47 am

designbreathing
step three
step three

motocycledog wrote:Nice to meet both of you
oh hey I teach at Hongik in the Digital Media Department. @epic Where are you studying Taekwondo? @designbreathing where are you teaching and how is the ID consulting going? I am at motocycledog at yahoo.com.

I'm on the faculty at SNUST and have worked with a number of consumer product and telecom firms in and around Seoul.
Form follows culture....

I've followed the discussions on this forum since it began...Asia is the future and I'm here to share my views and experiences.

Nice to meet you...http://designsymbiosisblog.wordpress.com/

Postby epic » May 18th, 2011, 9:17 am

epic
step four
step four

Have either of you been here long? I'm finding it a very big change from back home...I think in a good way though...

Postby motocycledog » May 24th, 2011, 12:02 am

motocycledog

I have been here about 2 years.
Sorry to say if you don't have a terminal degree or are totally famous your chances of getting a full time gig at Hongik are pretty slim. But there are lots of resources in seoul for making things, like cheonggyecheon area for materials and fabrication and yongsan for electronics. How long have you guys been here?

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to design in asia