Re: Who's Flying in Business Class?

Postby chevisw » May 18th, 2011, 2:51 pm

chevisw
step four
step four

Kershaw wrote:
jjello wrote:The worst is having to share a hotel room with a co-worker. Fortunately I have never been asked to do this, but I know others who have. Just plain wrong.

I don't see a problem with it at all, especially if you get along with the person.

I mean its not like you're sharing a bed....

Even though i am traveling for business, i like there to be some down time and private time..... if you are sharing a room there is none.....

Postby yo » May 19th, 2011, 10:29 am

yo
Administration
Administration

When I was corporate we always flew business if the flight was "over an ocean". These tickets were usually booked last minute, so very costly. I got super accustomed to the accommodations and service in BizClass, especially Cathay Pacific and believe it or not, Air Canada, both of whom's international Biz Class is on par with most other first class (individual pod seating).... that said, I flew to Shanghai coach for the first time, and I didn't think it was that bad. Tylenol PM.

Room sharing is against many corporate HR policies. I've never had to do it in my entire career, even as a junior designer at a small firm. I did get to share a massive suite though, which had multiple bedrooms. I know some researchers prefer room sharing for research immersion trips. After presenting to a client, or a day spent at the factory, I need some space to clear my head.

Postby Kershaw » May 19th, 2011, 10:34 am

Kershaw
step four
step four

chevisw wrote:
Kershaw wrote:
jjello wrote:The worst is having to share a hotel room with a co-worker. Fortunately I have never been asked to do this, but I know others who have. Just plain wrong.

I don't see a problem with it at all, especially if you get along with the person.

Even though i am traveling for business, i like there to be some down time and private time..... if you are sharing a room there is none.....

I agree 100%, by no means is it ideal ... If it has to happen because of some last minute decisions or some random unforeseen circumstances its not the end of the world.

If it happened and I needed private time than I would just go to the lobby, bar, or outside just to relax...

Regardless of where I travel I am grateful, even if it means flying coach on a 767 in the middle row or having to share a room (not a bed) with a coworker because all the other hotels in the area are booked solid for the trip....when its all said and done the company is covering it, so I don't feel like I should complain.

Postby Generatewhatsnext » March 13th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Generatewhatsnext
step four
step four

Interesting topic. During my 15 years with Fortune 100's, I always flew business class - everywhere. Now with our own company, we negotiate business class for all international flights prior to a trip - it weeds out the trips that are necessary from the ones that are not. Domestic is always coach.

You'd be surprised how many clients will pay for perks like that if you're a valuable asset to their business objectives.
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Postby Stuffed Vulture » March 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Stuffed Vulture
step two
step two

1K status, but fly coach transoceanic First standby domestic. (corporate policy)

(...and, yes I've shared a bed with a coworker)

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

Stuffed Vulture wrote: (...and, yes I've shared a bed with a coworker)
:wink:

I've only had to share a room when it was one night, two beds, and last minute (no other rooms available). And that's only happened once. Also if the mattress isn't right I'll snore so it's not hard to get people to not want to be roomies.

In the good ol' days (the mid 80's) my dad's company would pay for my family to fly business class to go visit back in the US (from Sweden). I flew coach to Tel Aviv via Istanbul on Turkish air and it was really nice. Not that coach is really nice, but Turkish Air get's the job done.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Postby NURB » March 14th, 2012, 10:11 am

NURB

Stuffed Vulture wrote:1K status, but fly coach transoceanic First standby domestic. (corporate policy)

(...and, yes I've shared a bed with a coworker)

Nice. Are you 1K Global? (Where you get the direct hot-line phone number and when they answer they know you are?) My Dad has that. Got him out of Tokyo last year after the earthquake.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @Mike_FTW

Postby Waxy » February 5th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Waxy
step three
step three

Whoa. Interesting to read all of this. I am a junior designer and I fly coach overseas, but one level above myself automatically flies business. From what I've seen, the difference in cost for flight is about $4k. Though I've heard that folks at other companies in my specific industry all fly coach, even more senior level people. Weird.

I'm a small person so I know that other folks have it much worse than myself, but I am of the firm belief that *no one* should have to fly coach for any international flight. Borderline inhumane to keep humans all cramped up like that, IMHO.

Also interesting to hear about having to room on the road. Before my first trip overseas with work I actually assumed that that's what we would do and didn't realize until I got my itinerary that I'd be on my own. I imagine that working for a huge corporation (like I do) makes this a lot easier to offer though.

Postby one-word-plastics » February 5th, 2013, 5:50 pm

one-word-plastics
step four
step four

Travel hint to Asia: Row 31 in coach on Delta's 777 - there's an extra 8" of legroom in the bulkhead row. I just flew 4 legs in row 31 and it's like a poor man's business class with crappy food.
"Life is pretty simple: you do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
—Leonardo da Vinci

Postby Travisimo » February 7th, 2013, 10:42 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Kershaw wrote:

I've seen it happen once for overbooked conference.. doesn't seem like a big deal if you're not in the same bed or anything, as long as it's not just to save a buck.

blaster701 wrote:If you do not have one (and travel with Delta a fair amount), go get a Delta Amex card. They give you good mile benefits and if you get the right level card, free access to DL lounges even if you fly coach.

I am a believer in picking an airline and only flying them (I also happen to use Delta). The other week, I was upgraded for free on the way back from DUS to ATL. First time that has happened!

That's my strategy too, especially when you live in a hub ( Continental hub was in Houston, so we'd use if for everything..)

one-word-plastics wrote:Travel hint to Asia: Row 31 in coach on Delta's 777 - there's an extra 8" of legroom in the bulkhead row. I just flew 4 legs in row 31 and it's like a poor man's business class with crappy food.

Great tip.. now if I can only remember next time ! :)

For the original topic - nobody at our studio flys first class, but I've heard it's very common up at DCA

Previous

Return to design in asia

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list