coffee and library for designers, ideas for a kickass shop!

:blush: Hi, well first I`m an industrial designer from Colombia… south america… I love coffee, yeah I know! books and music.

It is hard to find any place where designers, artists, architects and any other people who cares about our stuff can go have some coffee, look for new books, buy them, maybe some cds too (not all the music, just some type like chill out, bossa nova, some rock and stuff).

I want to open a store in my country, the things I do want to offer as you can see are, coffee, music, books, and some other services designers and the people I told you could use.

What I need from you guys around the world is to give me some ideas of what you would LOVE to find in this place, you have a project and you are mind blocked so you come and have some coffee and skecth for a while… or you are looking for some books about aesthetics or design philosophy or just a product design book, so you come to the store, look for the book or magazines, if you feel like it well you stay, drink some coffee and read for a while… Or if you want to listen to a CD and then buy it…

PLEASE!! i wand a very simple but really nice and cozy (is it how you write it?) place… give me IDEAS… off curse all of you can use the ideas for a bussiness in your city!!!

ok… for all the help you can give me… THANKS!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hola ,

podrias hacer un benchmarking con las librerias que hay en Mexico ,como el sotano, ghandi, el pendulo (cafeteca) , tal vez te convenga venir a la ciudad de mexico para que las vieras (investigacion de campo) , si necesitas mas informacion con gusto te puedo dar las direcciones , tal vez alguno de los modelos que manejan esta librerias te pudieran servir en Colombia

saludos

No1 thing for coffee shop beyond free internet is cute girls.

Free wi-fi internet, easy-to-access plugs for my laptop, and hot young barista girls.

Buen dato, espero poder viajar a mexico muy pronto y conocer no solo los cafes sino la gente y su cultura!.

mira : http://www.gandhi.com.mx/gandhi/franquicias/sobre_franquicias.html

algunas de estas librerias tienen franquicias, no sé, seria cosa de que te pusieras en contacto con ellos, posiblemente se pueda hacer una joint-venture o algo parecido, si no, el establecimiento de una franquicia seria la forma mas eficiente de hacerlo, ya que el riesgo es menor, sobre todo por que ya es una formula de negocios probada, ademas de que te ayudan con estudios de mercado, manuales, procedimientos, imagen corporativa, analisis de factibilidad, costos, tiempo de recuperacion de la inversion etc etc, checa, que seguramente El sotano, el pendulo , que siguen un esquema de negocios similar (libros,café,musica,dvd´s, e incluso grupos en vivo) deben de tener franquicia o al menos un interes por ampliar su mercado a otros paises, se me ocurre que tambien podrias ofrecer cursos!! , ya sea relacionados a tu area (y por supuesto que sean convenientemente relacionados con los libros que tienes a la venta)

saludos

Arthur, muchisimas gracias, creo que tus respuestas han sido las más eficientes que me han dado en cualquier foro, y que haya leido en otros!

Saludos! :smiley:

no hay por que darlas :slight_smile: , un tip, yo creo que deberias de adecuar tu estrategia al consumidor meta, podrias darte una idea en estos foros de lo que buscan algunos diseñadores, pero creo que la mayoria de tus clientes vendrian a ser diseñadores colombianos , y culturalmente hablando no busca lo mismo un diseñador chino,que un europeo incluso otros D.I. latinoamericanos, de hecho si regionalmente hay diferencias imaginate a nivel internacional, yo creo que tienes buena vision, podrias empezar por definir a TI que es lo que te gustaria, ponerlo en papel y despues preguntar a tu mercado meta (por ej. compañeros de la universidad, del trabajo, etc) que es lo que les gustaria a ellos, y tal vez tener un punto medio (claro que si tus gustos son tambien los gustos de la mayoria …) y ver si vale la pena tener por ej. libros “fuera de lo comun“ en cuanto a diseño, o tener libros mas “comerciales“ o basicos, recuerda que el chiste de tener tu propio negocio es que sea algo que disfrutes, que hagas con gusto, de hecho se me ocurre que podrias utilizar este negocio como portafolio de tu trabajo (depende claro del tipo de diseños que hagas , por ej. muebles, objetos diversos etc) y amueblarlo/decorarlo con tus creaciones,
ya hiciste tu analisis DOFA? , ya definiste tu mercado meta?? por ej. rango de edades, nivel educativo, nivel socioeconomico, etc, seguro que en Colombia no hay algun concepto parecido?? si existe podrias utilizarlo para hacer un benchmarking externo, que es lo que está haciendo tu competencia, que problemas ha tenido, donde ha tenido exito, ya averiguaste fisicamente donde vas a poner el negocio??

saludos

*open well late or 24 hours.
*split level seating and loads of different type ‘zones’ for different moods.
*decent height tables to sketch on
*sell stationery

Arthur, te cuento que lo del mercado meta y todo el estudio de mercado todavía no lo he desarrollado, apenas ahora estoy charlando con otro diseñador para ver como buscamos financiamento entonces vamos a empezar a realizar el “plan de negocio” y buscar apoyo económico, creo que con las ideas que he recogio del foro y de lo que he leido puedo hacer un buen plan de negocio y una buena estratégia para que el que esté interesado en invertir dinero lo haga feliz y seguro que es un buen negocio. de nuevo gracias.

Well, thanks to all for your comments, all of them are really good and now I think I`m ready to start with the business plan and find someone who wants to invest some money… thanks!

I go to a coffee shop to work sometimes here in the U.S.

Large tables are nice, maybe you could do drafting tables that lay flat or can be propped up.
Music is nice, but keep it ambient. Don’t make it the focus of the place especially as you can’t please everyone with your music choices.
Bright colors and interesting things to look at are a plus.
Artifacts from around the world.
Encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesaurus, art history books, classic literature, latest design magazines.
Get as close as you can to a full fledged library of reference materials.
A piano.
Lighting is important. Don’t skimp on the lighting considerations.
Of course you would want to put it within walking distance from an area where there is known to be a large community of designers.
Lots of seating and variety of seating types are important.
Working/solitary areas far as possible from group interaction areas (Some people like to be alone, even in public places).
Friendly employees, good customer service, good coffee, good food.

Without wishing to sound at all ignorant, if this thread was kept in English a lot more people will understand!

In London there is a group of magazine shops called Magma which have ALL design magazine, designer toys, designer t-shirts and so on. Some of them have couches I think (no coffee)…

What might be cool is to have a wall where people can put images of odd design/conceptual design/ basically anything to make people think. And maybe instead of tables (you said library, right?) you can have drawing tables instead.

I think in a way you want to make it seem like a studio, where designers can work collaboratively in a neutral space… and maybe these designers could actually run the place in shifts (2/3/4 designers a day, once a week?) because they will most likely be happy to be in that type of design-led community environment.

this exists in Milano.
Design Library
best EVER

All the bookstores in the US have coffee bars and free Wi-Fi. At least in my town they do.

It’s OK but too many kids sitting around in the book isles reading. I sometimes step on them and act like I don’t see them! It’s better to have the coffee bar in a separate building and then have a shared courtyard or something. If not, you’d have people spilling coffee everywhere and a lot of people just hanging out to be trendy!

Good Luck with the bar.