Close

Jed-at-Sketch-to-Shelf

yo wrote:I've definitely thought about it... I think I always run the CBE on do I want to design most of the time, but for other people, vs design just a small part of the time but for myself... in addition to predictable income and using other people's money to do good things vs using my own capital or assuming the real risk of using other's loaned capital. If I could find that right investor who said "hey Michael, I'd like you to start an American competitor to the Ariel Atom, and I'll give you all the money because I'm rich and I like you".... that would be another story :-)

Michael - I don't know your career arc too well, but I know you've had your hands on a lot of amazing designs and projects. If that's still keeping you excited and challenged, then that's awesome. I'm redesigning a bunch of the pet products now, and having a blast, but actual design time for my brand is maybe only 20% overall. I love the freedom of working solo, and managing my own time, and building a long term asset, but as far as staying excited about creative projects, I'm missing out. I tend to go work on my vintage car to get some hands-on-materials time these days!

As you've worked with some big brands (I think), I wonder if your instinct is to go out big with a new brand of your own? It may be hard to think small once you've worked big, but how about making a fun side project with the goal of only earning $10k next year? Low pressure, new things to try out, low risk.

With shopify, Amazon FBA, kickstarter, and Wordpress, it has never ever been easier to start a company. And if the product is designed for mfg, then local factories could be utilized as well (opposed to the can-do-anything of China factories, which also come with high MOQ's)

That's my 2 cents, based only on a bunch of assumptions..... happy to chat anytime if you want to bounce ideas!
http://www.sketchtoshelf.com
Sketch to Shelf is a Community of Makers and Designers Who Make A Living Doing What They Love.

Mr-914

Jed-at-Sketch-to-Shelf wrote:As you've worked with some big brands (I think), I wonder if your instinct is to go out big with a new brand of your own? It may be hard to think small once you've worked big, but how about making a fun side project with the goal of only earning $10k next year? Low pressure, new things to try out, low risk.

Whenever I think of doing my own project, I realize how little money I might make. Hard to justify spending all my free time for a year to make an extra $10k and risk losing $20k.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Previous

Return to business practices