Freelance Virgin

Hi there,

As the subject states I am new to the world of freelance. I graduated this year in Product Design and have an internship starting next month. However recently I have been offering my services working freelance and I am now starting to recieve projects to do. They are Graphic based projects but I do not want to get messed about with the legal stuff.

One of my clients has asked me to produce a brochure for his new company. I put together a few ideas of which he liked and now we are at the stage of taking it further. I understand Image licensing to a certain degree but when i explained the copyright issues to my client he simply discarded them.

If i was to purchase some stock images for this job would he be able to get the brochure printed and re-produce it? Or if my client continues to insist on not using images paid for how can i cover my own back? Should i just not do the job?

Thank you

Good question! it is also my urgent needs!

First and foremost, I hope you have some sort of contract or written agreement. If not, it can be as simple as an email stating what you guys have agreed to. As far as images go, use a royalty-free site and check the images’ terms of use. Usually if you buy it royalty free, you can pretty much do whatever you want. If he doesn’t want to buy images, make him. Swiping images off google doesn’t set you or his company up for success.

Check Veer, iStockphoto, fotosearch, and others. All royalty free, 1 time use charge. If they’re small enough they’re not that expensive really. You don’t want to get into something where someones image is used without their knowledge. It’s a whole lot more expensive.

If he still isn’t up for it, find a way to bury the cost of the images somewhere.

These are all really great suggestions. You also might want to consider what my website designer does on all her contracts to cover client supplied content that she cannot control & ensure that is original and/or permission granted by the contents owner. It shows that she performed due diligence in respecting others ownership rights.

“The Client guarantees any elements of text, graphics, photos, designs, trademarks, or other artwork provided to (her company name) for inclusion on the website above are owned by the Client, or that the Client has received permission from the rightful owner(s) to use each of the elements, and will hold harmless, protect, and defend (her company name) and its subcontractors from any liability or suit arising from the use of such elements.”

Thanks ! really good replies !
In my point of view, Designer are not only good at composing visual stuff for clients,
but also they should excel at managing the process of their business before tripping their inspiration.

So “image loyalty” is one of the hotspots, please share your insights on other hot issues which often overlooked by our great designers. like ?

\

WWW.CREATIVE86.COM