Design Briefs

I’m attempting to put together a questionnaire that I can give to clients in an effort to receive a “good” design brief back in return. Can any one direct me to a resource that addresses what a good design brief should have? Maybe an example? I honestly don’t think I’ve ever received one.

I’ve searched the web for some, but most of them are graphic design specific. I’m just wondering if ID briefs should include different things. Any suggestions or examples would be appreciated. (soft goods specific even better)

Thanks in advance.

Design Briefs are pretty much just reports.

Often times companies are too concentrated on specifics and not always analyzing everything together at once in order to work in the most efficient process. Design Briefs are really useful when explaining the breakdown in a particular companies procedures from the design perspective.

There really isn’t a technical and right way to produce a design brief. Every company has their own way of doing one. You would be using questionaire to get information about the tasks at hand and information about the companies issues define the details needed for redesigning.

One example of a Design Brief

1.) Define - the problem, or the task.
a.)a clear statement explaining what the issue is and why it is an issue.

2.) Dissect - define clearly all major factors involved.
a.) departments
b.) resources
c.) outsources
d.) processes

3.) Identify - within each section/factor involved
a.) identify what’s working and what’s not working
b.) begin to mark where changes can be made.

4.) Design Process - redefining factors
a.) suggest new creative design solutions and elements needed to successfully implement successful results.
b.) clearly articulate how each new design concept involved will affect the process and what to expect.

5.) Implement - case study, implementing design
a.) back up your new design with support and research
b.) test new design
c.) feedback is important

6.) Results

One essential point many people tend to forget in the briefing is:

What was the impetus of the project?

The answers to this question are very revealing and should be kept in mind at every decision throughout the project.

For instance, the team is faced with choosing between five options of design, at which it will be essential to remind the team whether the whole point of the project was to:
“catch up with the competitor”,
“fill a line gap”,
“bank on the success of its predecessor”,
“make some quick money”,
“please the stockholders”,
“create awareness of the brand’s innovativeness”
…etc

This is a valuable filter to help guide the choice at every juncture.

It also really helps keep the team focus on what they were originally charged to do, and can slip-stream the project.