Close

Choking Specifications

Postby iab » July 14th, 2005, 9:13 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

A friend is opening a children's store and has asked me to make some mobiles for the store decor. She had seen ones I made for my kids - geometric shapes cut from 3mm Sintra attached to stainless spring wire and fish line, pretty simple stuff. She has also suggested I should sell them out of her store. My concern is the size of the Sintra shapes, I don't want kids under 3 to swallow and choke on the parts. Does anyone know the specifations for a "choking" item or knows of a source (book on Amazon, web site, etc.) of that type of information.

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2005, 12:41 am

I worked in the toy industry and there is an acrylic choke tube that we used as a standard. The toy would be trhown into this clar plastic tube we had in teh studio.

It is a tube that simulated a child's throat and was a certain diameter and height... Perhaps you can look for it on google?

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2005, 12:42 am

Postby optimistic » July 15th, 2005, 7:46 am

optimistic

You can get away with a small diameter if it is a long part.

I've used throat gauges myself... they're an angles cylander that's approx. 4" high and cut at about a 45 degree angle. If your part sticks out of it competely, it's OK.

Any images of the mobiles you could share - that would help to asess.

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2005, 7:51 am

if its connected to wires and fishing line, then what's the problem?

you can fish it out

Postby iab » July 15th, 2005, 8:49 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thank you for the information. Its true that the assembled mobile would pass the test, I am worried if one of the Sintra pieces is pulled off the wire and swallowed. Thanks again for your help.

Postby bearcat » July 18th, 2005, 9:01 pm

bearcat
step four
step four

Anonymous wrote:if its connected to wires and fishing line, then what's the problem?

you can fish it out

Not sure if you're serious or not, but there's a good chance that the piece could break free of the wire/string and become lodged in the child's throat.

There are standard gauges for small parts. Try a google search. I don't have any in front of me at the moment.

Parents magazine recommends...

Postby Monkey-Bunny2 » July 21st, 2005, 8:05 pm

Monkey-Bunny2

Parents magazine and ivillage.com recommends that if it can fit through a toilet paper roll that it's considered unsafe for children under 3. I don't know what the thing is called but it's what's left of the TP roll when you've used the last square.

Toy Standards

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2005, 4:27 pm

Go to ASTM.org for the standards. There are restrictions on the choke tube, any piece that fits in the tube (without sticking out) must withstand 20# force pulled on it that attaches it to a part that doesn't fit in the tube. The wires and lines all must also be short enough not to make a loop that could fit around the child's head.

It's more complicated than it seems.

Return to toy design