Anthropometric Charts for Children's Hands

Where can I find reliable charts and data on the sizes of Children’s Arms, Hands, and Fingers ???

I’m working on a project where a curious child might potentially be able get their hands on poison, and I want to make sure it is out of their reach.

If you have any good info or links to where I can find good info, Please reply to this post or email me at bonitote [at] gmail [dot] com.

thanks!

I know that the Dreyfuss Measure of Man and Woman books have some data on children. I don’t remember how extensive it is, but it’s worth checking out.

Thanks I’ll have to check that out.

No. 2

I do applaud your asking about ergonomic data to prevent potential poisoning. I have a long background on infant products so I take a more cautionary stance. Just by thinking you are making something out of reach, children are very clever and tool users. It may be more important to make it to difficult to get to the poison versus trying to put it out of reach. Examples would be a cover that is so large that they are unable to open but there are many other ways.

Out of sight is not out of mind for children. I think you need to be more creative in your solution, to protect you as well as the child.

Hope this helps

Yes, I agree with your with your suggestion on making it more difficult for the child to even be able to get to the poison versus the out of reach approach. Unfortunately, their is not much I can do in this area for now, in regards with to pricing…the customer is very cheap.

The problem also is that there is already products out there that accomplish the same thing, however there is much more material and $$$ put into making those products, and my customer is only looking at how they can save more $$$.

The one thing I do feel safe about is that they will be doing testing with childern to make sure the child or small animal such as a house pet cannot get to the poison.

“Out of sight is not out of mind for children” — very wise quote here, I think I might have to use this one with my customer, to convince them to invest into something much more safe.

Try to find a copy of Humanscales 4/5/6 -(9 sets 3 in each),neils Diffrient and var authors). Its out of print though.
These are pretty cool reference materials for a starting point–

joe

I know this is very, very unhelpful, but it’s just a thought:

If you make it too “safe”, parents won’t be as cautious with it, thus leaving it out in the open. Once the children are able to get at it, they might figure a way in. If you don’t make it child-proof (or don’t say that it is), then parents are more likely to take it upon themselves to make sure their children don’t get in to it. Annoying counter-intuitive at first.

I think whats going to end up happening is they customer will try to not make any childproof" claims on the packaging.