.: Profesional ways of painting toys :.

hey guys!!

Im new here!!, and I came around cause its possibly that I start reproducing some toys I sculpted…

they will probably be casted in resin, but I wanna learn about general ways of painting figures…

I mean… how to “copy” the paint from one cast to another… so to make them as similar as possible…

the thing is that I don´t know how industry goes around at this point… so general undersanding of paints is needed for me…

its like Im such a noob that I don´t know where to start asking…

and another thing… am I posting this in the right place??? is there an especific place for painting???

I dunno… please correct me if Im wrong…

there should be a website about this somewhere…

:smiley:

greatings from argentina!

Hey, so far I never seen another site describing how to apply paint to all casts.

But I remember hearing that if you paint the mold (which I figure would be quite difficult) just once…it would then apply the same colour to your casts.

I don’t know for sure if it will last for many casts ( I would imagine 10 times maximum), or if it will work at all. Let me know.

There should be more kinds of these Q’s and A’s available here. I agree.

Other than that, I could advise you to design your models in ways that will be easy to hand-paint with an assembly line approach, maybe limb-by-limb, piece-by-piece, etc.

That way you can develope a rythm.

I would also recommend using decals.

I am really interested in seeing something you would like to do.
dan (at) 3dhmedia.com

Good Luck!

Tsunami:

how many reproductions are you wanting to do? also whats your mold material?

You should look into resin dyes… now this will take some experimentation to get the mixtures correct, then you will be able to dye the main color of your toy, then either mask and paint any other accents, or you will be able to cast other pieces/parts? in other colors…

Google pad printing IMD InMoldDeco
wet transfer adn also just good old model paints
also check out Kidrobot.com cistomising forums

have fun!

i don’t even know what type of casting resin is typically used for toys…
im familiar with most two part polyurethane casting resins, por-a-kast etc…
is there a better product im not aware of?

PROTOS are generally poly eyrethane PU

pruduction depends on product mostly vinyl, PVC or ABS plastics

hey! this is gonna be distributed (if I pass the firsts tests) only in argentina by now…

but lets say they´re gonna be like 500 pieces from each of the… maybe 5 characters…

thats a lot of work to do

but for a quantity like that…

it is worth it sending everything to china???

consider that in arg u live with three timer the money u need in the us…

so…

thing is that I dont know about how much every piece endes up costing…

so if someone could help me with some examples about this… I´d appriciate it A LOT!!!

bigshottoyworks does that stuff for a living.

generallyyou need about 10.000-15.000 USD to produce aseries of 1000 vinyl figures
Prices drop if you do resin but everything depends on design

these days with Petrol costs u. everything is much more expensive

K

hey folks!! thanks again for all the answers…

now… I think Ill make the copies here in argentina…

in the factory the owner recomend me to use ABS for the copies…

wht d u people think about this kind of plastic??? …

he said its a good option cause its very resistent and allows u to paint its surface easily…

we would do copies by injection…

I should also find a good way of painting them… I think Ill use airbrushes and that kind of “3D” stencils… d u know of a better way of painting?? I mean… faster at least… not fot big surfaces, but for example for the face details… I was told that there are a kind of “stamps” to do that… but are them just for plane surfaces??

Im going to a new factory today… lets see what I can find out…

:smiley:

ABS is bad-@$$.

I think the BabyQee is made from ABS. My Stormtrooper helmet is made from ABS.

I like it better than vinyl. Post pics!!

JESTER

Wow, injection molded ABS will get you some great looking parts. The tooling dollars will be way more than rotomolding vinyl, though. Depending on your design and intent, you should cost out both options.

The “stamps” you’re referring to is a pad print. They give great, crisp results. If you can use those instead of a spray-mask you probably should. But that depends on your design and what/where you want the printing done.

Put some pics up when you have a chance…

Are there any DIY Pad printing tools?

-J->