Anyone with a different Background

Is there anyone with a background of ID and Engineering combined degrees or transfers, change of ideas?
If there are in what positions are you working and why did you make such a decision, The only reason why I am asking is my plans of double majoring in ID and Engineering or taking one as a minor only…

Personally there is not enough time in one day to double major in ID and ME.
I tried, I choose ID.

I’m working on dual degrees. Do what you can to get a degree or minor in one or the other if going into product. A designer with some engineering work is more marketable than just a designer.

There’s usually a big difference between BFAs and BSs understanding of materials and manufacturing. But most people seem to lump new grads into the former (just create stylish/cool things) regardless of whether a BS ID really has learned a lot about tolerencing, material selection, design for manufacture, etc. So therefore your best bet is to get some engineering, a masters in the other, or at least just a minor (if possible) than having just one. You will be much more likely to get hired (although ID talent is still pertinent).

How did you work on dual degree?
How heavy is the coursework when you work on dualdegree

first Aerospace. second ID. always planned ID. wanted engineering, had math aptitude. i know one other Aero/ID (not Colani!) and one with two yrs Aero and ID degree. know some ME/IDs. seems alot of Aero engineers interested in ID. form and function are real in Aero.

positions? regular ID positions but with lots of engineering input. now i freelance. lots of companies dont know what to do with Eng/ID. good for management. not especially good if you want to just design. takes time for company to understand advantages.

That’s funny ykh I am doing the exact opposite of you. BSID, now MSE. I know what you mean about confusion over the two, but my goal is to get into the growing (or at least seems to be growing) Human Factors arena… and having an eng. degree can’t hurt to get some R.E.S.P.E.C.T. from the large Co’s who use HF.

There is no doubt in my mind that this will open more, better, and higher paying opportunities.

oksenb, when I say dual degree I mean two seperate ones (see above) not like a major and minor. Still alot of work though. I suggest you do what you can to keep at it, it will pay of in the long run.

Do you like to figure out how things work and are made? …or are you more interested in figuring out human emotions and experiences?

This is somewhat separates ME and ID, though down the road of expereince, the two learn from each other no matter what, unless it’s a crappy company.

Choose one for now…graduate and spend 2-3 years…if you find out you like working with the ID guys from your experience more…go to graduate school…
From my experience, it’s easier o go from ME to ID cause in ID you forget alot of mathmatics(i use to know alot, Im ID) The only precaustion about going from ME to ID is to free yourself again from restraints… In ID people have crazy Ideas and ME’s are here to tell them “no” that can’t be done"… In school however, you expand your mind in ID, and realize in the real world what is possible… having explored that crazy spectrum of possibilities teaches you to understand what is possible, and creates a process within yourself that reacts to any project you approach…

ME pays more, ID is more fun, but less $$$…

I agree with the other things you said but these?!?!?!

So ID is figuring out human emotions and experiences? I thought that was psychology.

I think you have too much of a black and white, us vs them, deeming attitude toward designers.

I think that the truth is that both MEs and IDers design products, but that designers are more concerned with human interaction whereas the eng. is more concerned with manufacturing considerations. The two overlap though. Any IDer worth his salt should have a strong understanding of manufacturing and shouldn’t need to be told “no” you can’t do that. They should be able to pass off a design with part seams, molding considerations, possible material selections, etc and collaborate with the eng. ensure correct wall thickness, ribbing, draft angles, etc. A good designer should be driving how the product is made, not the other way around.

Thanks everyone for the replies,
I enjoyed all those advises from people with experience. yet I am still unclear about whether to choose a school with ID or only Mech engineering (the only reason why I am unsure is financial differences between my school options schools without ID offer me fin aid…)
By the way do you think after a liberal arts school with enginnering can I go on masters for ID?
I dont want to turn this topic into a Students and Schools thread so it is ok if you can just send me a PM or e-mail to give me any advice thanks

Perhaps I didnt communicate well, I agree with you very much…All i am saying, in the traditional world as of now, the engineer is there usually to guide or direct a designer in more real world situations in manufacturing…Engineers know wayyyyy more about manufacturing, materials tolerances, etc… BOTH ID and ME know each other well…and yes, there are the few that know both, but in most good situations, they are separated…No single person can do everything.

And as for your statement about “what or who is a good designer” …I will only say that is your opinion. A good designer can be whatever you want to inteprete it by. ME vs ID…i don’t like to discuss, i’m only giving Oksenb some thoughts.

Oksenb… keep asking question, go visit studios,i come from an ID background…we rarly sat for lectures, have exams, read many books, etc… classes were work sessions…finals were final projects…not necessarily the last 2 weeks of the semester… flip a coin…trust me,your young…u can change majors half way though or transfer…aska ME what education is like…i have no clue…
Peace ya’ll

heya, just my $0.02 as i am coming from the engineering and moving to ID… There really is a lot to be said for having a FOCUS… trite as it is to say, no one really wants to employ the ‘jack of all trades master of none…’ there are plenty of great designers and great engineers out there looking for work, both adept at their respective fields

that said, it might be wise to pick the one you’re interested in, and focus on it. Become an exceptional designer, or, become an exceptional engineer. Either of these are better than being a mediocre designer who knows a bit more than the average about manufacturing or vice versa…

Both engineering and ID programs are incredibly intense, and although i am sure that it can (and has) be done, I know there’s no way i could have done both and been happy with the results at the end of it.

and after all of this, no disrespect intended towards the other guys who did mix these majors… quite the opposite… i’m in awe. :slight_smile:

If you are going to study engineering, you must get your Peng. Getting your Beng and then taking a M in ID would be to your best advantage in terms of time. Your ID would allow you to break away from restraints imposed from engineering like what orbital said.

It’s all about maximizing your time and getting the best out of it. I’m taking a BID and Beng in 6 years through overloading. Working for a year in ID would be more beneficial than getting a minor in engineering. You’ll learn a ton more on the job than what you can learn in school. A minor in engineering won’t give you a higher status or much beneficial knowledge.

With a Peng and ID, you can target to work for smaller firms where they can’t afford to hire a full time Pengineer. You can make a product that will be more efficiently designed since below and above the line design will be done simultaneously by one person.