writing an ID job posting

(disclaimer - this is a plug wrapped in a question, wrapped in an enigma…)

Hiring designers can be difficult. Right now even ID feels a bit like a candidate’s market. The first impression a designer has with an ID group could be a job posting.

Does the below copy give you a picture of what this ID job could be like? How is it distinct from other Sr ID job postings you might have seen or reacted to?

I created all of the ‘About’, ‘Responsible For’, and qualifications copy in this job post. I’m not a writer but would appreciate any feedback.

As the Senior Industrial Designer in the Product Development group, you lead design projects at the intersection of human usability, commercial viability, and manufactured reality. Your solutions impact the full spectrum of new product introduction, from initial research and exploration to market launch. Reporting to the Industrial Design manager, you join a talented team responsible for physical, graphic, and interactive design definition. You are supported by a fully staffed model shop, including metal fabrication, welding, 3D printing, wood-working and assembly areas. Our manufacturing lines are footsteps away from our design studios, promoting your ability to learn and enrich your work with real-world considerations as products are built.

This position requires a refined intuition for human-scale aesthetic form generation, and sensibilities attuned to solving for both exerciser and operator needs. You should be cognizant of fitness trends, and proactive in observing and researching users to inform and inspire your work. Intellectual curiosity, patience, and comfort with ambiguity will enhance your learning and ability to collaborate. Using our Design/Build/Test principles, you strive to transcend manufacturing processes in the pursuit of industrial design integrity. This is a perfect opportunity for a seasoned designer who desires hands-on involvement across all phases of product development, and who is intrigued by the potential to shape the future of fitness.

I think this is pretty clear and direct. I appreciate the “why you should join” and “overview”… I’ve been seeing job postings forget that recently.

Thanks MD. Need to give some credit to Stephen Gates and his blog/pod ‘The Crazy One’ for the ‘why you should join’, and ‘who will you report to’.

So simple, but stuff like that goes a long way to attracting candidates I think.

Why are senior designers, that are interested in a new job, so hard to find? Maybe that’s beyond this discussion :slight_smile:

There is a bit of a candidate’s market right now, as many new projects came online (or were delayed during Covid) combined with a perception that employees are in the driver’s seat for job options, comp, hours, remote, etc.

Either that or people are just satisfied where they are at and don’t want to move.

There is a growth of dubious job postings that is ever growing within the online application process. With the collection of personal data as a source of revenue for companies, both HR departments and their partner recruiters have transformed themselves into revenue generating centers for company profits growth these days by selling valuable resume profile data. One of the initial acid tests I use to vet bona fide job position openings is whether or not benefits are listed in the posting. Your posting includes this type of check list item when measuring potential validity:

"Exceptional benefits program including profit sharing, generous 401(k) match, and free on-site gym access
Superior employee discounts on Precor products "

This indicates an actual job exists that has been given budget allocation.

The below Sr. ID position that, although looks enticing, does not pass the smell test of a bona fide job opportunity and is poorly written if there is one. It reads similarly to your job opening but fails to list any sort of benefits. (actual legible posting link here https://illumina.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/illumina-careers/job/US---Bay-Area---Foster-City/Sr-Staff-Industrial-Designer_24740-JOB?source=Indeed )

Knowing when a job posting has been written by a experienced designer and when it has be cut, pasted and assembled by a recruiter or HR person (bulk of today’s online job postings) is becoming an essential skill.

Knowing when a job posting has been written by a experienced designer and when it has be cut, pasted and assembled by a recruiter or HR person (bulk of today’s online job postings) is becoming an essential skill.

Yes and I want to work for and with designers who can sniff out the difference. Really interesting call-out, thank you.

as a former recruiter for an ID consultancy, this posting appears too standardized. I’d have added the envious qualities working at Precor has above others, which has drawn in high quality people for me in the past. such as, state opportunities for travel (especially globally), any leadership opportunities, the desired skill level described meaningfully - for instance you’re looking for a Solidworks guru who solves unthinkable CAD, compelling conceptual skills, etc), the chances to present/interact with clients face-to-face, and a little detail on your studio - team/client bbqs, field trips, the opportunities for learning and growth, how incredibly talented and supportive your current team is. I’ve always aimed not at just designers looking for a job, but designers who would leave their current job for us.

another rewarding advantage I’ve found through trial and error: a well-written posting creates a huge attraction to diversity. all sexes, all races, nationalities, etc., of industrial designers are inspired to apply.

One of the things I always end up asking is how big is the team & maybe their experience levels. "you’ll be working with 3 ID & 2 UX/UI reporting to Design Director. Or you’ll be the sole ID person reporting to ME Manager. Or Design Manager + Sr. Designer and Jr. Desginer. etc. Knowing who you’ll be working with ahead of time would be beneficial & insightful. Do they have an established team and know what they are doing? Are they starting the design department? etc.

Thanks for this. We don’t typically have much offering in the way of ‘amenities’ (free food, foosball, etc) but describing the studio, peers, atmosphere in attractive-yet-accurate terms could be good to add. Helps to paint the picture.

In the couple of interviews all the candidates ask about team size, experience, and composition so I could see that being added too. At least reassuring candidates they aren’t walking into a mess.