Close

Re: HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU BE SHOT DOWN?

Postby AVClub » April 6th, 2018, 7:36 am

AVClub
step three
step three

Well it sounds like your mind is made up GruvDesign! I live in the Midwest (West Michigan) and it's great. There's never a shortage of things to do here and Chicago is not too far which is also a great city in many regards, and we have the first largest freshwater coastline in the U.S. and second largest coast in general in the U.S.. I can't argue too much with the flatness though, it is geographically located in the "Great Plains" although there are the Porcupine Mountains, The Ozarks, Black Hills. But boring? If you're in the middle of a cornfield then you're probably correct, but to say the Midwest in general is boring I just can't agree with that.

This portion of "Midwest, the gem of the United States!" is now concluded...

Postby iab » April 6th, 2018, 7:44 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

As someone who has lived in the greater Chicagoland area (I include Madison in there) forever except for a couple sweaty years in NC, I agree with Gruv. I have to get out of this place. But I'm angling for leaving the country entirely.

Postby Mr-914 » April 6th, 2018, 7:48 am

Mr-914

As for the job, sometimes it's not you. I've had the same thing happen to me as Yo. I got rejection letters and then months later recruited by the same firms. Bizarre.

The reality is that there is a lot that you don't see as a candidate. Maybe their budget got cut? Maybe they ended up hiring someone's nephew? Maybe another candidate happened to have 10 years experience in the industry of their biggest client? Maybe they just like hiring people who played la crosse in college? Who knows. Try to not let it get you down.

As for location, look for opportunities where you want to live. If you have the savings, just move there and slum it in a tiny apartment until you land a job. Sometimes just being available gets your foot in the door.

Good luck!
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby GruvDesign » April 6th, 2018, 3:58 pm

GruvDesign

yo wrote:Sounds like you need a long drive out to Madison,WI this weekend to chill out :-) I love that town. Of course I went in the summer when it was warm...

I've lived there about 30 years. No thanks. Still flat. Still boring. And on the weekends you can go to exotic locations like Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, etc. Devils Lake is only cool the first 50 times.

Postby Rodrigo » April 9th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Rodrigo
step one
step one

GruvDesign wrote:
yo wrote:Sounds like you need a long drive out to Madison,WI this weekend to chill out :-) I love that town. Of course I went in the summer when it was warm...

I've lived there about 30 years. No thanks. Still flat. Still boring. And on the weekends you can go to exotic locations like Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, etc. Devils Lake is only cool the first 50 times.

You're missing your "fuck this place" signature :P
Sometimes we take chances, sometimes we take pills..
https://www.instagram.com/rodrigolauret/

Postby iab » April 10th, 2018, 7:55 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

GruvDesign wrote: Devils Lake is only cool the first 50 times.

That certainly made me laugh.

Then again, living anywhere for 30 years pretty much sucks. I did the first 25 or so in Madison. The next 25 or so in Chicago. Hopefully you are trying to get out like I.

That said, I certainly don't mind this place for a visit. We have a cabin near Cable. No place in the world better to do absolutely nothing for 2 weeks.

Previous

Return to design employment