Close

Freelance Industrial designer?

Postby mel_br » January 2nd, 2018, 11:13 am

mel_br

Hey everyone!
I'm still a student, but I'm wondering: Is it possible or maybe even common to be a freelance industrial designer? I've heard of many freelancers who do grafic design or web design. Thank you for your answers!

Marlene

Re: Freelance Industrial designer?

Postby Cyberdemon » January 2nd, 2018, 12:26 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Yes it is possible. But because some areas of ID tend to be much more of a team sport (it's easy for an individual to design a website or print ad) sometimes finding work for a one off freelancer is more challenging. Especially if you haven't already setup a network of connections to draw work from.

Many designers will do freelance projects on the side while maintaining a full time corporate or consulting gig.

Re: Freelance Industrial designer?

Postby AVClub » January 2nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

AVClub
step three
step three

Definitely possible and somewhat common where I'm at, I know a few in the area and I know there are some large companies who rely on them. I will say though, I have seen a few people trying to freelance in school/right after school and haven't done too well and got discouraged and moved onto different career paths. I would recommend getting a good amount of experience because your clients will expect you to be an expert.

Return to design employment