Close

Re: 4 interviews, same feedback

Postby singletrack » January 3rd, 2018, 12:00 am

singletrack
step four
step four

I would not worry to much getting rejected a few times. It some times takes a number of interviews to find the right place for you. I think it was maybe 10 interviews for me to get my first full time position.
With that said I would consider countuine work on your portfolio. As mentioned it is not as strong as it could be. I think a number of the other comments here are spot on. But I would say to just keep working at it. I personal did get some good freelance work after my internship that became good experience to land my first full time job. So that can work. Also a really strong internship could really help you.

Postby iab » January 3rd, 2018, 8:57 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

louis leblanc wrote:I wouldn't look too far into "lack of experience". It sounds to me like a pretty generic cop out reason to give to a recent grad - what ever the actual reason may have been.

I have to agree.

The resume & portfolio shows your experience and gets you the interview. The objective of the interview is to see how you fit with the team. Instead of "lack of experience", they could/should have said "we found a better fit for the team". And while frustrating to the candidate, they are under no obligation to further define fit.

I think one of the biggest problems with recent grads is they will take any job even though it could be the wrong job. But then again, I would blame the hiring manager for not weeding out the bad fit. The recent grad may not know any better.

Postby FH13 » January 3rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Lack of experience is a general term. I would first try to ask your contact persons a bit more about why you were not a good fit; which areas of your portfolio show the lack of experience. Don't demand an answer, just be polite and ask for their feedback so you can improve your work.

The biggest problem I see with your portfolio is that the final solution does not match the initial task.

1) The Internet of Collectibles. A bit confusing. You start with toys and collectibles, then you include IOT and then at the end they are just everyday products that look like random toys. These are neither toys, nor collectibles and probably won't function as well as the intended products. The modeling and rendering also looks a bit primitive. No part-lines or charging ports or cables....

2) Housewares - Sponge. Good exploration of different products. At the end you chose sponge sanitation. The problem is you only show 5 directions so there is no concept development, refinement, etc. Instead of showing a mood board supporting your CMF decisions you decided to copy another brand's CMF. The styling seems too harsh and niche, specially for a low income mass market appeal. How is it waterproof, where is the battery, how do you recharge it, etc.

3) Coffee Maker - Again, a bit confusing. Statement mentions new brand language, line of products, etc. Sketches are more of a re-design of a coffee maker/pot. I don't know what you achieve by hanging it? The main coffee maker still occupies space in the countertop. The CMF doesn't work. Cream & blue? It doesn't fit in a sophisticated kitchen, it sticks out on the jpeg with the traditional kitchen too. How tall is the coffee pot now? Does it even fit under kitchen cabinets? Do you know the standard height of cabinets? How do you heat the carafe, where is the heating element, water reservoir, coffee filter, etc. A coffee maker is a very simple product, you should at least attempt at addressing all of this.

4) Helmet - Again, you start with sustainability but present a higher visibility solution. It seems like you spent more time on the fin than the actual helmet.

5) Furniture - Interesting concept. Nice to see a full size prototype.

I think the biggest problem is not sticking to your initial premise or problem. Most of your projects seem like you started with a premise but then guided your work by your favorite idea. At the end you should ask yourself "If I saw this coffee maker at Target, BestBuy, etc., next to the other coffee makers (Braun, Mr. Coffee, Keurig, Cuisinart, etc.) would I buy mine?" How is mine better than the other ones?

Keep going and rework some of your projects. Keep trying to get a junior position but also paid or unpaid internships. You will learn a lot. If I were to hire you I would have to spend months training your thought process.

Postby Cyberdemon » January 3rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

FH13 wrote:Don't demand an answer, just be polite and ask for their feedback so you can improve your work.

FWIW, as a hiring manager although I'd like to help people - I would be hesitant to ask for any feedback beyond the actual interview session. There are public and private reasons why you won't get hired. I haven't hired people simply because they come off as unenthusiastic and shitty people even though there work is great.

The portfolio is weak, but lack of experience could also show a lack of knowledge about manufacturing, 3D tools, technology, etc - or have just been their nice way of sugar coating the no. Similar to the "not a good fit" messaging which is so often used.

The feedback that was given here, especially your clear comments on how projects are coming across for a new grad are far more valuable than anything you would ever get out of a hiring manager or interviewee, because you have an active goal in trying to be helpful - a hiring manager will not.

Postby KenoLeon » January 4th, 2018, 12:37 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Cyberdemon wrote:I haven't hired people simply because they come off as unenthusiastic and shitty people even though there work is great

I don't get this, you are in a great position to set them straight and save them a lot of frustrations by telling them exactly why they weren't hired., wouldn't you like to know that if you were applying for a position ?
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Cyberdemon » January 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

KenoLeon wrote:
Cyberdemon wrote:I haven't hired people simply because they come off as unenthusiastic and shitty people even though there work is great

I don't get this, you are in a great position to set them straight and save them a lot of frustrations by telling them exactly why they weren't hired., wouldn't you like to know that if you were applying for a position ?

You ultimately open yourself up to more problems than solutions as a hiring manager. If someone said "Why didn't I get the job" and I say "your attitude and demeanor was poor" they could come back and say "Oh well I suffer from Bipolar disorder, you're discriminating against me and now I'm going to file a lawsuit". This could be more problematic in the litigious states of America, but it's common practice here when declining employees to not provide reasons.

Also, keep in mind I often go through upwards of 200-300 resumes per candidate and sometimes up to half dozen interviews. Giving each candidate feedback on why they were a no would consume more hours then are in a day.

Postby KenoLeon » January 4th, 2018, 9:48 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks for being so frank, I still think the process is somehow broken or could be improved, but I am not implying you are at fault or tasking you with solving it. It seems to be the current state of affairs, so hopefully it paints a fuller picture to answers ops question.

Cheers,
-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Cyberdemon » January 5th, 2018, 9:50 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

KenoLeon wrote:Thanks for being so frank, I still think the process is somehow broken or could be improved, but I am not implying you are at fault or tasking you with solving it. It seems to be the current state of affairs, so hopefully it paints a fuller picture to answers ops question.

Cheers,
-K

I would put a lot of it back onto the candidate as well, if you feel like you are in a feedback gathering mode, ask the interviewer during a face to face if they have any feedback on the projects you presented, or anything they thought could be improved. Even tying it back to the job description is a useful tactic. ex "I spent a lot of time learning Solidworks surfacing for this project, and I think that would be a really valuable skill for the handheld products you design".

That kind of dialog shows you're open to constructive criticism and it gives you a venue for feedback at the time the interviewer is already committed to spend with you (as long as you haven't run long on your time slot). Lastly since it's face to face, the interviewer has less to worry about something being misconstrued.

There are some candidates that are just awful though, and no amount of constructive feedback will be useful to their career. I had a woman show up a few years back with no portfolio because her laptop broke. She had no USB drive with a backup, no website, no links to other sites that might have featured her work, I literally sat there for 30 minutes going "So.....tell me about these projects you did". The only feedback I could have offered her is "you should have rescheduled or cancelled your interview if you were going to waste everyones time here today".

Previous

Return to design employment