How do i become Freelance Game Designer?

Probably not the best forum for this since we are more focused on Industrial Design, but since my background started in video game design:

Video game design like many areas is very broad, you have indie games where people do almost everything (Gameplay design, code, graphics) to large studios where people will be very specialized (artists, animators, 3D modelers, level designers, developers, sound engineers).

Take whatever classes that are available and relevant to technology (art, any programming classes, advanced math), do as good as possible in those classes.

College for Creative Studies (CCS) in Detroit is a great design school and offers a 4 year entertainment design program. https://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/entertainment-arts

Pay is irrelevant at this point since you’re talking about 6-7 years in the future. I would say that if you want to be rich, become a Dr. or Lawyer. There is a lot of competition in many fields. But if you want to enjoy what you do and love games, you’ll be OK. VR, AR and other technologies will open up a lot more possibilities in the future.

The good news is these days you don’t need to go to college to learn a lot of these skills. Download a free copy of Unity and start using resources on the web to try and learn the basics. There are a lot of great tutorials to explain the very basics of coding and how to import 3D models and that will give you a sense if this is something you enjoy and if so, what specific areas. A lot of PC games also allow mods, being able to swap out models, change game dynamics, etc. GTA 5 is a great example of this - an easy way to put new ideas into a “sandbox” universe without having to build the whole world from scratch.