Close

PSA Hiring Scam

Postby KenoLeon » June 6th, 2017, 5:36 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

So I got contacted by a fairly well known tech accessory maker ( phone cases,stands etc), with an ID job offer, it looked legit at first ( they basically copy pasted the real one) , had an email account with the company name and wanted to set up a google hangouts interview, something somehow normal ( most of my interviews are through skype though which was a red flag). In all honesty I should have checked better, but I was working on 2 other job applications at the same time, so I was in a rush, the lead came from a resume site (not coroflot or linkedIn), but still a big one.

I had a great interview ( a fake one) some questions were even interesting ("Tell me how you organize, plan, and prioritize your work"), but something was obviously amiss ( the way they were conducting themselves, weird questions, timing,demeanor,text only ) and I couldn't find the HR contact in the company's staff (although they copied the avatar logos perfectly) ,I went along with it for research purposes and at the end they offered a job with the condition that I needed to work remotely at first while they figured out the paper work/visa and insisted on me buying some expensive time tracking software, (I am guessing either this was their master plan or they would prod me to open a link with malware).

So it was obviously a phishing scam of some sort, beyond a little bit of pride and time I think I didn't loose anything and already contacted the real company and they were super nice/apologetic.

It's mostly sad that this happens,just be aware of it.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Re: PSA Hiring Scam

Postby yo » June 6th, 2017, 5:56 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

thanks for the heads up for the community, Keno!

Return to design employment