Close

Re: Multi-Discipline Design Consultants

Postby Ross McCoy » May 24th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Ross McCoy
step four
step four

Thank you for these in-depth answers. From the sounds of it, projects and company organization are very similar to how the architecture world works. You'll have the various consultants and engineers you bring on board for a specific need since it's too costly to have them in-house 95% of the time. This all makes sense from the business aspect of it.

One of the things I have loved about my career so far is when I've had the chance to sit down with the end users of a space and discuss their needs and how I can help them achieve a viable solution that fits within budgets.

A few years back I designed a small rural community healthcare clinic that I had the chance to dig into how the staff would actively use the spaces from more of a research/observation standpoint. By actively participating in their processes I was able to design solutions that worked with their established methodology and also provide guidance on how they could become more efficient based on the proposed design solutions. It was a pretty cool project that I am proud to have in my portfolio. A year out from when they opened the building they were still extremely satisfied with the results and had seen numerous positive changes the productivity and wellbeing of their staff, patient satisfaction, business operations and in general brought a sense of newness to the community.

Unfortunately, those types of projects are few and far between. Project cycles are too long (18-24 months+). Budgets get slashed over and over to the point where any sort of design features gets eliminated and you are left with something that any run of the mill general contractor could go build with a napkin sketch.

Everyone has pointed out some great examples of various companies to research. A lot of theirs stories are quiet informative and fun to read about.

Don't worry Yo, none of this is discouraging. These are just some honest questions I've had regarding the other side of the design world than I currently work in. :)

Postby Cyberdemon » May 24th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Ross, check out Brightspot Strategy. Based on your last description it sounds like they are very much in the wheelhouse of what you're interested in, looking at the organization, workflow and service design of office and public spaces from a design thinking approach.

Postby Ross McCoy » May 24th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Ross McCoy
step four
step four

Mike, They seem like a pretty interesting company. Thank you for pointing them out. They definitely have some intriguing projects under their belt.

Postby KenoLeon » May 24th, 2017, 4:48 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I did a small web design contract for an architectural firm ages ago here in Mexico, their studio is all grown up and now they bill themselves as a global architecture and industrial design firm, can't really vouch for them, since I could only find one ID project in the portfolio, but they might have some other stuff in the works : FR-EE.

They also work with Norman Foster, which has a pretty sweet ID portfolio:FosterAndPartners

Phillip Starck's studio has been doing interior/exterior design & brands for ages.

As for working with them, I've been brought into a couple of architectural firms to do 3d modeling or webdesign and hang out some with architects (smaller studios) , my take is that they either bring outside help when an oddball (to them) project requires it or build transient teams, architects are masters at that.

I recently approached an architect friend to do something similar, you focus on architecture, I focus on design and software development, we couldn't find common ground in either the mission or the responsibilities, let alone the money. I still think the brain trust resulting from combining creatives in a nurturing environment could be more than the sum of the parts, provided of course you can come up with the resources & client base , easier said than done, so the dream lives on I guess, just my 2cts.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Previous

Return to design employment