Close

Re: Finding talent within rendering

Postby yo » May 10th, 2017, 1:48 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I love Keyshot for the quick stuff, but for really punchy stuff V Ray just seems to really nail it.

Postby Mrog » May 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

You think that because most people use canned keyshot shaders and settings which inevitably leads to the typical keyshot look. If you would set up your shaders and your lighting from scratch and with knowledge about rendering like you have to do it in Vray you would probably get very similar results to Vray. That pros use Vray is usually not because keyshot is lacking rendering capabilities, is is mostly due to other reasons (workflow, features, etc.).
It is like saying KIA engineers are not as talented and hard working as Porsche engineers because their cars don't drive as fast.

Besides, what sets an okay render apart from a really great render is usually not a rendering software but good old Photoshop ;)

Postby MK19 » May 11th, 2017, 10:30 am

MK19
step two
step two

Mrog wrote:Besides, what sets an okay render apart from a really great render is usually not a rendering software but good old Photoshop ;)

This is true, too. I have to stress this to students when their renders come out a bit dull and flat and ask why it's not like examples they see online.

Postby FH13 » May 11th, 2017, 4:43 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Yeah, we've done custom HDRI's and now use hidden emissive panels and black panels just to get the right cores and highlights on reflective materials. My main complain about Keyshot & Bunkspeed is that you don't get really contrasty images. We always have to "enchance" in PSD.

Postby Cyberdemon » May 11th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

FH13 wrote:Yeah, we've done custom HDRI's and now use hidden emissive panels and black panels just to get the right cores and highlights on reflective materials. My main complain about Keyshot & Bunkspeed is that you don't get really contrasty images. We always have to "enchance" in PSD.

The same could be say for photography though. The real world just isn't as contrast filled and poppy as we'd like. :D

Postby yo » May 27th, 2017, 9:44 am

yo
Administration
Administration

a little photoshop never hurt... playing with the in software render engine in Autodesk Fusion 360... not bad. Needs some playing with to get something to feel right but I think if I dump a few more hours into setting it up right I'll get it there.... a quick low res render of one of my phone concepts. Just a little photoshop over top though :-)
Attachments
Nexus Phone Sample D3 (for sharing) v2.png

Postby ralphzoontjens » June 15th, 2017, 4:34 am

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

First there needs to be a customer-centric choice for the renderer you choose.
If your product's perception of value lies mostly in its appearance, and have a critical target market, say the ultra-luxury segment watches, you probably won't be successful unless you hire the best visualisation agency. If photography is an option, in my opinion it adds more character but it is also more difficult in terms of workflow finding and working with a top-notch professional, location and setup. If you have a smaller target market and your product's perceived value is more than just the appearance, most often the Keyshotty type rendering like Dustin Lee is showing is great and especially when you are in the first phase of say, a startup business and still exploring the design, product and market then working with a freelance artist will be a good choice. Also in terms of budget, hiring a Photoshop expert will be a good choice because it is amazing what they can make of a rendering.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Previous

Return to design employment