Close

Co Working spaces Yay or Nay ?

Postby KenoLeon » October 3rd, 2016, 3:00 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

This week I am working ( or trying to) work from a brand new co- working space that opened here in town. I am more or less conscious of my weekly output working from coffee shops and my home studio, so it will be interesting to know if this is an improvement.

Today ( the first day) I have what some animal trainers call new cage syndrome ( i.e. I am having trouble focusing ) I also can't seem to find a place to sketch, so we'll see.

How about you, have tried co working spaces ?

Cage I mean office for a week:

IHSB.jpg
IHSB.jpg (92.58 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Re: Co Working spaces Yay or Nay ?

Postby yo » October 3rd, 2016, 3:10 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I've always wondered about these.

Postby KenoLeon » October 3rd, 2016, 5:17 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Update:
Free avocado+tea and trying the tall kitchen table for sketching while a kid pitches a hover board skateboard product to another guy = )

FreeAvocado.jpg
FreeAvocado.jpg (66.11 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
yo wrote:I've always wondered about these.

I think most of them have free day passes, not sure If you have any use for an extra office , but I am sure your neck of the woods must have a few.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby yo » October 3rd, 2016, 10:27 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Oh yeah. There are tons of them here. Literally one 200 feet from my house at the corner called bloc.

Postby cwatkinson » October 4th, 2016, 8:19 am

cwatkinson

I have used one in Milwaukee and really liked it. the one issue i had was that they didn't really have a "private" section. most of the rooms had some type of full window which in turn would not allow me to have any confidential material out or i would risk "public discloses"
As for the distractions i found it some what nice because it gave me a chance to "chat" and interact with various people. but then again i can be a social butterfly and that has helped me in my career.

Postby sonofscrotum » October 4th, 2016, 11:32 am

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

The only one I knew shut down after less than a year.

Postby yo » October 4th, 2016, 1:29 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Postby KenoLeon » October 4th, 2016, 3:42 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

That spot looks sweet, but I've been fooled by floor plans and flashy renders before.

Day 2 of my experiment:

Some issues have surfaced ( these might not be issues for others):

1.- They charge for conference rooms. Result: folks have conferences in the kitchen, in the quasi designated quiet/chill areas and pretty much anywhere.

2.- There is hierarchy and tension in between 2 factions: those who rent office space/permanent desks ( the majority) and those who don't - the floaters ( the minority).

Also, I noticed this bit of UI genius,how do you get a bunch of people to wash their dishes ?

cleanDirty.jpg
Don't ask me about the fridge.
cleanDirty.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby Mr-914 » October 5th, 2016, 6:54 am

Mr-914

I would love to open a place like that in Montreal. My favorite offices were always those that were heterogeneous and busy.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby KenoLeon » October 5th, 2016, 4:01 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mr-914 wrote:I would love to open a place like that in Montreal. My favorite offices were always those that were heterogeneous and busy.

Me too, in part I am looking for weak spots/improvements since I've always been fascinated by communal work spaces and providing folks in general a better space to work.

Todays tidbit of my co-working space experience:

Instead of music they opted for nature sounds on a loop which I mostly find very amusing, there is like a minute of Whale Songs underwater, I have to control myself from joining in song....I still go back to my previous point that those who have fixed spaces seem to be in control and parade around the place loudly yapping, talking on the phone and checking you out, so I am back to using headphones.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby Mr-914 » October 6th, 2016, 6:51 am

Mr-914

I would think Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" would be perfect.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby WSMI » October 6th, 2016, 8:15 am

WSMI
step one
step one

For your observations....

I have a space at this place:
https://artisansasylum.com/

It definitely falls more on the makerspace on steroids than a co-working space. Though I think a bit of co-working space's dna are from makerspaces and clearly there are overlaps. Artisan's has multi-purpose rooms, computer cluster with some high-end software, social space, kitchen, in addition to 'labs' and shop spaces.

I use it more as my workshop to get personal, hopefully one day, million dollar, world changing, projects done.

Skipping new comments and descriptions at the moment, to reply to somethings mentioned already.

Music: There's no global music. Folks can play stuff in their spaces (if you have one) but you have to be respectful of your neighbors, I believe to the point that if it bugs me and I tell you I want it off, it has to be turned off (or switch to headphones.)

I joined for many reasons, one was to be around other creative folks. Though I have meet a few people, I haven't meet as many as I feel I should. This is completely my fault. I suck at networking and most of the time I'm there, I'm there to work on a project so I basically have blinders on and time scheduled on equipment. Got to get things done!!!!

Don't think there's a hierarchy, but groups of members that:
-Run the place - various volunteers, paid employees and those that help in operations to one degree or another. All of these folks also are creating something when not 'working'.
-Are there to get a something done: start-ups, kickstarter, crafts-people and such that need a space and the equipment that's available (when it's working. I'm looking at you laser cutter). They do their thing and that's about it
-Are members of scul the local 'friendly biker gang'.
-Want to be in a creative space doing what seem like random creative projects.

The main tension that I see and hear about, rotates around how the place is being run, how things are abused, and 'it's not like the good old days...'

-Peter

Postby KenoLeon » October 7th, 2016, 5:07 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

WSMI wrote:For your observations....

Thanks Peter:

Love that kind of places, when I used to live in the SF I used to go to a place called NIMBY (mostly to play with fire though).

Here in town there are a couple of places like that and I've been part of them at times. The main issue I have with those places( The warehouse artist/musician/engineer- collective) , is that you end up being drafted to some art project or festival at some point,which is awesome if you have the time; some of my happiest and saddest times as designer/artist here in the states have been doing some art project with a collective. Unfortunately at the end it's always someone else taking the credit and money,there's also tons of drama and it's rough on finances..and clothes :\
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Return to design employment