JOB!!!need one? ....Recent graduate ...we have a problem..!!

Yes …R thing picking up? maybe if you have 3 or more years of experience …if not don’t bother…they are only looking for experience…nobody is hiring young designer fresh rookies …why? they don’t want to share the trade with the coming generation…Am I wrong ??? :confused:

Yeah I feel ya…I’m going on 2 years now. But I figure I should improve my portfolio and learn new stuff anyway.

It can be frustrating Ksylv, but hang in there the jobs are out there. What I would recommend is keep considering yourself a designer, and keep working. I’ve done 4 mini-projects during the periods that I’ve been unemployed. Also, keep refining your portfolio and make some new exciting samples to include with your resume.

Lastly, stick your neck out. Go ahead and contact (and call) all those places that you would really like to work at, but have turned you down. It’s not just being the right designer, but reminding them you exist at the right TIME might just land you a spot.

Right now companies either don’t have the $ to hire or they don’t have the time (translates to $) to train. Make sure you do that internship, keep learning, do as much freelance as possible and don’t give up.

But on the other hand if you are an experienced designer some companies don’t want to hire you because they don’t want to pay the $.

Lets just face it when $ is tight its tough for everyone

Well put,
It’s not some conspiracy to "keep “the knowledge” and $$ away from young/new designers. It’s that $$ is really tight lately and the companies need to know that they will get a good/quick return on their investment.(money into the designer money out of the designer…not time for training)
The friggen economy has affected everything. and it just trickles down to affect us.

ie. business is slow everywhere, so less growth in industry (less new offices , less buildings etc) so there will be less office furniture needed, less interior designing needed, less $$ spent on exhibits at trade shows (if they show up at all) less $$ to hire new people. (and this means not only the big company but all the way down the line…interiordesign company, furniture design company, exhibit design company…etc) you get the picture. :cry:

I’ve been applying to companies for the past six months, from the top of the chain to the bottom and all i’ve been able to land are a few small contracts.

If you are not full time looking /networking (which you should be)
I recommend you really polish up your resume/portfolio/website/cold call spiel etc.

If you are not currently working in anything (to help pay off your student loans and stuff) I’d recommend volunteering at some design places even if its just for a week. it’ll be stuff to put on your resume and valuable networking experience.

Good luck :smiley:

BTW mr-914’s comments are right on the money!

[quote=“Mr-914”]It can be frustrating Ksylv, but hang in there the jobs are out there. What I would recommend is keep considering yourself a designer, and keep working. I’ve done 4 mini-projects during the periods that I’ve been unemployed. Also, keep refining your portfolio and make some new exciting samples to include with your resume.

Lastly, stick your neck out. Go ahead and contact (and call) all those places that you would really like to work at, but have turned you down. It’s not just being the right designer, but reminding them you exist at the right TIME might just land you a spot.[/quote]

Hey radio free tampa! Do you have any conection to the free radio of Tampa network? I know their constituents here in brooklyn. It would be nice if there were a conection, but I can see you’re in Montreal. Hmmm.

[quote=“Mr-914”]It can be frustrating Ksylv, but hang in there the jobs are out there. What I would recommend is keep considering yourself a designer, and keep working. I’ve done 4 mini-projects during the periods that I’ve been unemployed. Also, keep refining your portfolio and make some new exciting samples to include with your resume.

Lastly, stick your neck out. Go ahead and contact (and call) all those places that you would really like to work at, but have turned you down. It’s not just being the right designer, but reminding them you exist at the right TIME might just land you a spot.[/quote]

Hey free radio tampa! I think I know your brooklyn constituents at free103point9? You must be friendly, I know they’re from Tampa too. :smiley: