Close

CeeLee

Variant- you and I seem to be in the same boat! I moved from the east coast to Portland, OR for a job last year and was laid off during a period of restaffing. I like the culture in Portland but I'd prefer to live somewhere with more sun. The gloomy winters and chilly summers here aren't where I want to lay down roots.

I'd love to work at a design agency making consumer products. My background is largely retail displays with some consumer products and electronics. From what I've seen and heard, there's a huge need for UX designers at design agencies but ID positions aren't in demand now.

Is there much of an ID market in Austin? That's one of the cities I'm seriously considering but it doesn't look like there are many design agencies down there, and my ID friend who lives there went into web design.

cwatkinson
step three
step three

iab wrote:2 months and counting.

Still haven't filled 2 senior positions.

iab - im ave problems with my account. if you did pm me i got a email saying i had one but cant access - can you send me the info to chevis.watkinson@gapac.com

thanks.

bradfordagill

Have you considered San Diego? The design scene is growing here with things like Makers Quarter and The Design Lab at UCSD (where Don Norman heads the department). We just had a big event called DesignForwardSD where they released a nice directory/website of design-oriented organizations in the SD area. Maybe something to consider...

Variant
step three
step three

bradfordagill wrote:Have you considered San Diego? The design scene is growing here with things like Makers Quarter and The Design Lab at UCSD (where Don Norman heads the department). We just had a big event called DesignForwardSD where they released a nice directory/website of design-oriented organizations in the SD area. Maybe something to consider...

Yeah, it's come to be suggested a couple of times... thanks for putting it in the top of my brain. A lovely city. My only trepidation is the cost of living is pretty lofty there.

I'll def check out your suggestions. :D

orrkwankit
step two
step two

Variant wrote:
bradfordagill wrote:Have you considered San Diego? The design scene is growing here with things like Makers Quarter and The Design Lab at UCSD (where Don Norman heads the department). We just had a big event called DesignForwardSD where they released a nice directory/website of design-oriented organizations in the SD area. Maybe something to consider...

Yeah, it's come to be suggested a couple of times... thanks for putting it in the top of my brain. A lovely city. My only trepidation is the cost of living is pretty lofty there.

I'll def check out your suggestions. :D

Cost of Living in SD is pretty steep but cheaper than SF (if that means anything). I've been here almost 10 yrs as IDer. There seems to be more opportunities in other CA cities in comparison.
Attachments
the-home-buying-map-final-image-5a65.png

engelhjs
step four
step four

orrkwankit wrote:Cost of Living in SD is pretty steep but cheaper than SF (if that means anything). I've been here almost 10 yrs as IDer. There seems to be more opportunities in other CA cities in comparison.

I recently left the SD area specifically because of the lack of opportunity after being laid off. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better place to live (I miss the hell out of Encinitas,) but I found demand for ID work to be pretty low.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Variant
step three
step three

engelhjs wrote:
orrkwankit wrote:Cost of Living in SD is pretty steep but cheaper than SF (if that means anything). I've been here almost 10 yrs as IDer. There seems to be more opportunities in other CA cities in comparison.

I recently left the SD area specifically because of the lack of opportunity after being laid off. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better place to live (I miss the hell out of Encinitas,) but I found demand for ID work to be pretty low.

Yeah, this thread is pretty old at this point. I've eliminated California completely off my list.

I'm moving my focus away from trying to find anything design focused in general, and I'm just too much of a piece of shit to make enough to live out there. I can't even get pingbacks on $15/hr. CAD, estimator, or whatever jobs. I'd be homeless in San Diego.

AndyMc
step three
step three

As far as I have seen, you haven't yet posted a portfolio for review and feedback. This would be the very first thing to do to move forwards. In any case it would give you a baseline to work from, and still won't stop you from moving industries if you wish.

I understand that it seems difficult to post your work if you don't feel like your skills are good enough, but the feedback helps you to at least know what is and isn't working. I've posted my portfolio a few times, and frankly they've been complete pieces of crap that, as it turns out, weren't up to scratch and wouldn't have gotten me a proper ID job, let alone the dream job.

However, it gave me a starting point to work from, and the feedback provided gave me some goals and helped motivate me to improve my skillset. I practise a lot in my own time now and will hopefully get into the right groove soon. Everything gained and nothing lost.
Andy McIntyre
Folio | Instagram | | LinkedIn

Variant
step three
step three

^
I'm no longer looking for design work, thanks. It's too competitive and neigh impossible to even find stuff to apply to. At my age (40), it's not worth the immense frustration and downtime looking for work.

With my experience as the Sr. ID (the only, actually) position at my last gig, plus all the ancillary R&D work, prototyping, testing, market research, packaging design, and coordination with manufacturing, marketing, & trade that I took part in... and I'm still an unemployable piece of shit? Seems the more knowledge and experience I gain, the harder is is to get work. So, nah I'm out. It's a thankless profession. I've got great references though, so there's that. :?

I'm open to any suggestions for career shifts if you got them though. :|

Sarah-Flieger

hmmm i reaally dont know where to do that

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Sorry to see this took such a pessimistic turn, in terms of possible career moves have you considered teaching? There are a lot of growing design programs around the country where you could put that experience to work if you're not looking to be hands on anymore.

I see SCAD has a couple openings for their next semester. Savannah might fit your bill for nice weather and low cost of living. Beautiful town if you haven't been, as long as you're fonder of the small scale.

Previous

Return to design employment