Close

Finding freelance work

Postby rjpd » April 24th, 2016, 1:01 pm

rjpd

Hi guys,

Was hoping that some of you may be able to outline what sort of approach should be taken when applying for freelance work?

These kind of opportunities don't really seem to be 'out there' on the internet/job sites/websites etc...

Is it a case of applying to 'Z' company/consultancy, and seeing what comes back as you would with a speculative approach for a junior/senior/general design job?

Thanks!

Re: Finding freelance work

Postby yo » April 24th, 2016, 5:29 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Applying for freelance work as in soliciting? Most people I know who are successful freelancers have built up a bit of a reputation first. They get a lot of their work through word of mouth but will potentially solicit, sometimes called cold calling, or fishing, by sending mailers, offering to set up informational meetings, or what is often called a "capabilities presentation" to show a potential client what they can do.

Postby KenoLeon » April 24th, 2016, 6:34 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've been freelancing for the last 10 yrs or so, mostly doing UI/UX/web development and odd design gigs( architectural, jewelry, marketing, CAD etc,etc) I recently got my first real ID contract which should hit the market around November or sometime next year.

The only thing that has consistently been an ok to good source is a mix of having something to show, usually projects I do just for fun and networking,for example: I was doing a bunch of wallets to teach myself how to use a sewing machine and do textile patterns and I showed them to a friend whose company happened to need some help doing a textile/electronic prototype, did some preliminary design sketches and that turned into a 6 month contract, on the software/web side it is a bit more straightforward in that there are now a lot of open source projects and communities,both online and offline, as you become involved there is usually a need to build something for money, the maker scene is somehow analogous in design, but it seems more dispersed/nascent.

I don't do it as much as I used to, but Craigslist ( or whatever job board is popular ) has also provided plenty of contracts, but the quality /quantity is all over the place and it is such a time and emotional drain, as an aside, the biggest web contract I got: (2 yrs building a facebook clone) , came while I was sitting at a coffee shop and said hi what are you working on to the guy sitting next to me.

Sorry to post from other boards, but this might also be of use:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndustrialDesi ... rict_sr=on

Best
-K

And get a good contract : )
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby ralphzoontjens » April 25th, 2016, 1:09 am

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

I have been doing freelance for the past 3 years.
I do not recommend it over having a steady job in a place you like, but it is a nice way of doing various different jobs and build a portfolio.
There are several freelance websites, competition is steady so pay is generally low, you will only find few interesting projects and sometimes you don't have a good idea what kind of company you are working with, plus the platform takes a significant percentage of your earnings as fee. You need a good portfolio and some reputation to get decent jobs.
I recommend to build a good portfolio, business cards and a focused elevator pitch for yourself so you have something to show, and see if you can build a network locally around you through friends, family, your school, businesses in your city, visiting tradeshows etc.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Return to design employment