application deadline/unfinished portfolio

Hi there,

I could really do with some advice about how to navigate my current situation. I recently graduated and have been planning on applying for internships just as soon as my portfolio’s finished. A couple of days ago I noticed that the consultancy I had earmarked as top of my wish list has posted an internship with application deadline 6th April. My portfolio is nowhere near half done at the moment. What do I do?

Do I resign myself to missing this opportunity, work on my portfolio and send it out only once it’s ready?
OR
Do I try to cobble together some sort of teaser type thing with mainly nice renders but little process? I worry that circulating a badly made portfolio will do me more harm than good in the long run.

Also, the application has to be made through an online form with no option to upload a portfolio or any mention of it whatsoever. Initially I thought they might look at portfolios at a later stage in the process, though that seemed rather unusual. But then I realised they probably expect applicants to provide a link to an online portfolio, right? I did email them about this but haven’t received a reply.

I’d really appreciate some insight as I just don’t have enough experience to figure out what’s the best course of action here. Many thanks.

get the portfolio done! You’ve got 3 days. Hop to it! You can do it. Not applying you have a 100% chance of not getting the job. At least by applying you have to assume you’ve upped that by at least 1%, so go on and go for it!

I cannot argue with that reasoning. Thanks for the encouragement! It’s really galvanised me into action, which I needed. Hopping as we speak!

no problem. I think we can often dissuade ourselves from going for things, but as the saying goes, you have to be in the right place at the right time… so be in that place. You have to reach out for it. Remember, a portfolio is a living thing. I’ve been hiring designers for about 10 years now and I’ve seen portfolios from some of the same people for that entire time. They evolve, they grow, and they stick in my mind. The fact that I have seen them improve over the years is super important. My own portfolio isn’t done… it never will be… it’s ok, it is just representation of a point in time.

If you have any doubts, or want to get a quick feel for what is working, don’t forget to post in the projects or portfolios forums.

Michael, I hope you won’t think it’s inappropriate if I call you my fairy godmother! I’ve been shortlisted for the role! They had 5 interview slots in the booking form so I’m speculating maybe that’s how many of us there are in the running. For 2 internship positions! So pretty good odds. But even if I don’t get it even having been shortlisted is absolutely wonderful as it must be a good sign for my future prospects in this career. Which means the world to me.

Just wanted to let you know I’m extremely grateful and what a good thing you’ve done for someone on the other side of the world. I’ll be sure to post in the portfolios forum as I polish mine up before the interview, which is in 2 weeks.

LOL, I’m happy to read that it worked out! Be sure to remember this lesson. Don’t wast energy worrying, spend that on doing. Worry about it later :slight_smile:

I will do! I am tattooing it into my brain to make sure I don’t forget. Thanks again :slight_smile: