From Engineering to Industrial Design - advice needed!

Hey Samy,

I am essentially on the same path right now, so it’s great to hear from someone else in the same situation. I decided I wanted to work in ID pretty soon after graduating with my MEng in July, it’s was on the back burner while I was travelling for a few months- although I did try to sketch everyday. Since I got back i’ve been able work full time on studying product design and developing a portfolio; living rent free with the parents does come in handy!

So I guess I have a few tips from my progression thus far- by no means extensive, but may be useful to you:

Books

Youtube

• Spencer Nugent
  • Product Tank

Other Resources

• Lynda.com- Has a ton of tutorial videos- Including a really useful course on Product design sketching
  • Blender (freeware)- 3D modelling and rendering tool
  • 11 lessons- Design Council

So thats a basic list of a few things that have helped me along that way. I’m currently in the process of developing a website and as of today starting some freelance work! In response to your original question, I’m in the same boat and I’m not sure. I currently live just outside of London, but I’m planning on moving to Bristol in July- so hopefully I’ll have it figured out by then!

Good luck with your Journey- and when you make it down to London let me know and we can have a beer and discuss making it as designers!