(Insert Department Here) & Marketing

Saw this in my LinkedIn feed this afternoon and got a chuckle.

Discuss.

Hahaha. Exactly. You name it. It’s been oversold by either sales or marketing or both.

So why is that? What specifically drives that approach, selling something without buy in from those in positions to execute? What is it about marketing types that seem to come off with some sense of authority over other disciplines?

And, is that approach ultimately good for business, or is it just old-school thinking?

I think it’s the fear of losing the sale. Why wouldn’t you promise the world if you had the fish almost to the boat?

Should IT really have any authority about how we conduct business?

Marketing being seated on the lap of the CEO might be questionable, but really what does IT bring to the table?
Tell me, as I might be blind here.

mo-i

If it is possible, and you are willing, get a seat at the big table. Just know that when things don’t go well, you will be responsible. Personally, I love that level of accountability, but it is not for everyone. With great risk comes great reward… also a lot of sitting in sales and board meetings. But that is where you have to be to influence the conversation and direction. The design part is the easy part.

[ Deleted ]

To add more context, I think the IT/Marketing friction arises around development/implementation than it does around maintaining equipment and infrastructure.

I think it has more to do with marketing selling some techy, appy, webby thing to business leadership without consulting with IT on costs, timeline, capabilities, etc., leaving them holding the proverbial “bag”. Even more trouble arises if it is to come from IT’s budget. Sure, IT probably shouldn’t tell marketing how to sell something or provide customer insights, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be innovative or grasp simple business economics either.

[ Deleted ]