Close

Re: Panicking...

Postby yo » June 14th, 2015, 4:11 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I hope you take the outpouring of responses here as affirmation that most of us go through this at one time or another. Design is not like accounting, it is not 1+1=2. So the needs of hiring managers are greatly varied. It takes time to find the right fit. As someone who has hired a lot of designers I can say it can be just as frustrating on our side, reviewing dozens, sometimes hundreds of portfolios, taking time to interview the candidates who's work I think is the best fit for what our team needs, and then figuring out who is the right personality mix for the team now and in the next few years... all the while the work is piling up! But these decisions have to be made with care because the team will have this person for 2-5 years on average.

The entire thing is a dance. Some dances are fast, and some are slow.

When I was in your shoes I was definitely falling into despair. A few years ago I wrote an article about it for core77's main blog. You can read through all of the grey details here. It was painful and humbling. It is easy to say now, but I'm glad I had the experience. In a way I needed it. (It still sucked though)

http://www.core77.com/posts/21454/the-p ... city-21454

Postby Doug_dsgn1987 » June 15th, 2015, 5:17 am

Doug_dsgn1987
step one
step one

Louis and Michael,

thank you for the nice words. :)
DOUGLAS COSTA
post-graduate industrial designer
http://www.behance.net/dougcosta

Postby iab » June 15th, 2015, 8:15 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

apowers wrote: If you REALLY don't want to be living at home, then take control of your own path, don't allow yourself to be the victim.

'merica loves blaming the victim.

Thinking you can control every circumstance to not become a victim is foolish. You forgot the second and the most important part of the equation - dumbass luck. Without it, all the hard work in the world can get you nowhere.

Postby apowers » June 15th, 2015, 9:13 am

apowers
step four
step four

iab wrote:
apowers wrote: If you REALLY don't want to be living at home, then take control of your own path, don't allow yourself to be the victim.

'merica loves blaming the victim.

Thinking you can control every circumstance to not become a victim is foolish. You forgot the second and the most important part of the equation - dumbass luck. Without it, all the hard work in the world can get you nowhere.

My point wasn't to call op the victim, or blame him for his situation. I was merely trying to caution that the easy road and most often traveled is to roll over and say that life is unfair (which we all know to be true anyways).
Aaron Powers
Nike Intern
Academy of Art University Graduate - 2016
My design school journey: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28022
My Behance: https://www.behance.net/Apowers
IG: Sketchpowers

Postby yo » June 15th, 2015, 9:21 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Iab, you are right. Luck has a lot to do with it. I believe the saying goes "in the right place at the right time". Assuming this maxim is correct, be in as many places at as many times as possible. Physically and digitally. Go to IDSA events, start some of there aren't any nearby. Ask local designers to go to coffee (everybody loves free coffee) and get their advice. Take a trip to SF or some other big city and set up as many meetings as you can. Post your work here and as many other places as possible. Things like that. Years ago I posted two concept projects for mobile phones on my coroflot. Those projects led to me working at frog. You just never know who is going to see what. Make sure you are out there.

Postby CRVaughan » June 15th, 2015, 3:03 pm

CRVaughan
step two
step two

Hang in there!

In the summer of 2010, I was in almost the same position (21 years old with a 2 month-old son and a failed relationship). It wasn't until about 7 or 8 months of sending out resumes and portfolios (and I was STILL working part time at a pizza shop) that I realized I needed to treat my situation more like a design challenge. The constraints were pretty clear - money, time, and level of comfort. I sold everything and moved to NYC with a some clothes, a sketchbook, and a suit. A few uncomfortable months later, I had landed the first gig at a job fair. That was all I needed - I figured any design job couldn't be as hard as designing your own (and your kid's) future. So far, so good.

But those "uncomfortable months" were easily the worst months of my life. If I could give any advice besides "keep at it," I would suggest to
A) Don't stagnate! Keep learning/ designing/ networking. TONS of free and cheap resources online. Learn something to stand out as an ID candidate (Javascript? Experimental photography? Basic UI/UX principles?)
B) Follow your passions. Cheesy I know, but easy to forget about in this scary period.
I wouldn't have stood a chance without the help (and couches) of friends and the mini projects I gave myself - usually design competitions. Following my passions led to me explore with a more optimistic view, and allowed me to network outside of the design world, which really led to a more lasting impression than my name on a business card.

Good luck!

Postby iab » June 15th, 2015, 4:02 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

apowers wrote:My point wasn't to call op the victim, or blame him for his situation. I was merely trying to caution that the easy road and most often traveled is to roll over and say that life is unfair (which we all know to be true anyways).

Correct.

90% of "luck" is just showing up.
Do the work.
Get the work out there.
Show up.
Be prepared to act when lightning strikes.

My cliche quota is filled for the month.

Postby Doug_dsgn1987 » June 15th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Doug_dsgn1987
step one
step one

For me this factor, you may call it luck or "being in the right place at the right time", eases the panic.

Accepting that there is this side that I cannot really control kind of makes me free to concentrate on what I can control: work on portfolio and networking.
DOUGLAS COSTA

Postby apowers » June 16th, 2015, 11:23 pm

apowers
step four
step four

Here's a visual designer from Google explaining how he got the job he did. A lot of good points that go with what IAB and Michael have said about luck and putting yourself out there.

https://medium.com/google-design/how-i- ... db2d8bcb60
Aaron Powers
Nike Intern
Academy of Art University Graduate - 2016
My design school journey: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28022
My Behance: https://www.behance.net/Apowers
IG: Sketchpowers

Postby Mr-914 » June 18th, 2015, 6:49 am

Mr-914

It took me almost a year and a half to find my first full time job. I recommend that you give yourself design projects as though they were a freelance job. Keep your skills sharp. You will get out what you put in.

BTW: I think the only people from my class working as designers today are myself (I would consider myself top 4 in my class), someone that finished at the head of the class and a guy that barely graduated. :)
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » June 18th, 2015, 8:32 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Have you posted your work on here?

Postby Doug_dsgn1987 » June 18th, 2015, 11:24 am

Doug_dsgn1987
step one
step one

I posted already my portfolio here... got some feedback and now I am working on it. Soon I will post it here again.
DOUGLAS COSTA

Postby kktx » July 26th, 2015, 3:13 pm

kktx

As someone who graduated last year and who was also in your shoes, my #1 advice is to be patient. I'm actually shocked you're complaining you don't have a job after only a MONTH has passed. Panic after a year has passed and you still haven't found a job. It took me 6 months to find an industrial design job despite having several on-site interviews and interest. At first, I was willing to take any ID job just to have a job. This was mistake #1. Don't rush into an application, interview, employment JUST because you feel bad for not having a job already. My biggest take away from the job search process was that every single employer was trying to find the right fit for the job. Guess what? You probably aren't it and maybe the company isn't a right fit for you either. Think about what YOU want out of a job. Don't want to work by yourself? Don't want to be a sketch monkey? Don't apply then. Don't try to mold yourself to every single company! You are not a fit for every company and every company is not a fit for you. Figure out what YOU do well and SELL that. Then find a company who aligns with this. Make your passion for design show more than your desperation for a job.

I'm now a year post-grad and finally work at my dream design company doing exactly what I wanted to do (only after unhappily working for a design company that was not the right fit for 7 months prior). That being said, the design field can be tough to get into. Luck and timing is everything! Companies aren't constantly hiring or may not have a need for another designer right now. I only got my current job because two designers moved out-of-state at the same time and my company finally had an opening after 4 years. Yep, 4 years they hadn't needed a new designer. Dumb ass luck indeed. Things take time and don't expect to find your dream job (or any job) right away! :wink:

Postby yo » July 26th, 2015, 6:03 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Thanks for sharing that kktx. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Postby Doug_dsgn1987 » July 28th, 2015, 3:09 am

Doug_dsgn1987
step one
step one

Indeed. Thanks, man. :)
DOUGLAS COSTA

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to design employment