Answering salary requirements question during an interview?

As an employer it must be asked to ensure neither party is wasting each other’s time. Depending on the size of the hiring company, quite a bit of resource can be spent on an interview process. In a corporate environment there are salary bands per position that almost certainly will not be compromised for a new hire. You can surpass the band cap but that is like if you are there for 20 years and content with keeping your current role & responsibility and they are happy to have you.

It’s a negotiation at the end of the day, which means expect some back and forth. It has to be brought up at some time right, wouldn’t you rather it be sooner than later? While there are always exceptions to the rule (being heavily courted), the prospective employer is usually the one holding the cards. I wouldn’t recommend coming across abrasive - it can be a major turn off.

Put yourself in both positions. I have never told an applicant the salary range without them giving their requirements first. Why would I? Having said that when a range is provided I expect there to be some fat included. Just part of the game.