Getting fired from an ID job

I’ve never been ‘fired’ from an ID job, but have been let go (or un-retained…;p) for business reasons.

I moved to a new city and was at this company for almost 2 years before the owner decided he was tired of the churn of fee-for-service work. What followed was a 1-year drawn-out winding-down of the company with rolling layoffs across the whole team - admin, engineering, design, operations, sales, management.

I was one of the later ones out the door, so it wasn’t a shock at all, and had time to mentally (and financially) prepare.

What did I learn? Networking is everything.

The moment I came back to my desk after getting my lay-off package, I received a phone call and a couple emails from local firms that heard through my network of previously laid-off ( but now re-employed) co-workers that I was now no longer employed, and they were interested in interviewing me.

To that end, always work on your connections and networking - you never know when change will happen, so be prepared for it, As you will have friends and co-workers (and bosses!) who either move on, transition or are let go, the impression you leave with them and the time you spent together working can really help you going forward.

Personally, I’ve always found the new/next job to be a bit of a resurgence and rebirth as it is. I’ve never felt more energized and creative as when there is a new and unknown chapter opening up to me.

Best of luck (and hard work) to you on the next step.

-D