Laptops with stickers on them..Unprofessional?

My point was that applying a decal (cheap) to an object (expensive) portrays a somewhat disdainful relationship to money or materialism, the polar opposite of sneaker-worship for example (the sneaker heads who keep closetfuls of boxes of barely-worn shoes, maybe to re-sell, maybe just to have). The content matter of the decal or tribal association is secondary to the fact that a decal had be affixed to this “holy” object in the first place. Rather than reverence for a mass-produced object, the decal’s application owns it, or personalizes it, by slightly degrading the original object. This is not a bad thing, in my eyes. And I’d say the d-bag label is in the eye of the (non-d-bag) beholder.

I love the Hello Kitty stickers that incorporate the backlit Apple logo.

With most things in life, it’s rarely black & white so case by case depending on the setting, sticker, and all that should be taken into consideration. That being said, if you want to play it safe, best avoid it.

Like anything, if you do it well, it is acceptable, if you do it poorly, it isn’t :slight_smile:

That can be a dangerous assumption to make…
A large percentage of industrial designers that I know have a pretty catastrophic sense of fashion. If I assumed that this would affect their ability to keep up with contemporary style as it applies to designed objects, I’d have hardly any designers that I can trust. Same goes for programmers, craftspeople, etc.

Personally, I find those who fit the cliche of a tribe are the ones you want to avoid.

ymmv

Carltiki correct me if I’m wrong but the original question was phrased within the context of an interview for a design job correct?

No, I would not take them less seriously unless the stickers were immature or offensive. Is their work professional, did they arrive to the interview on time, are they conducting themselves in a professional manner?

I totally understand people judge people on everything from clothing, to watch choice, to what they eat, and how they eat it… I do it too, it’s unavoidable at times but it’s not grounded in any fact.

However you have the luxury of being in a field where your portfolio and your personal conduct will be the factual representation of your professionalism. There’s no designer box you have to mold yourself into to be accepted. You can still get hired without wearing raw denim and thick frame glasses. :smiley:

Oh good cause I never quite liked the thick framed glasses hehe.

Just to be clear I do wear thick frame glasses and raw denim, but I’m pretty sure it’s not why I got hired :smiley:

There are always exception and what lies beneath May not be what it appears to be, but Stereotypes exist for a reason, right or wrong as it may be to judge a book by its cover (which usually works by the way, ie for books).

With respect to clothing, note there is a difference from fashion and trend to well dressed.
R

Because people are simpletons.

Note the irony.

MS Paint palette. I have accepted my bad taste and all the challenges associated.

I don’t like tacky stickers, but I am a fan of decorated products when done well. Can’t knock originality and individuality.

And these laser etched macs look pretty cool.

I caught a good TED talk the other day on stereotyping and prejudism. Worth a watch:

Believe the Lambo was done by Doug Breuninger

Awesome to follow on Instagram too.
http://instagram.com/douggas

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.647344821994427.1073741849.540967512632159&type=3

Nice work. The Lamborghini was done by a Miami artist called Jona Cerwinske. A bit of info about him and another of his Lambos:

I have a Sharpie and an old Ford …Mmm.

Totally agree.

Another one for the “yo-da simple design truths for everyday living” book

I have a masters degree in the obvious.