Posts: 3
Joined: March 1st, 2012, 8:06 am
Hey, I am creating a business card. My degree is a BA Industrial Design here in the UK, I will be looking for jobs in Europe. Industrial designer sound to the unknowing person like I design machinery etc. Should I therefore put Industrial / Product designer on my business card, to help show I am product focused?

User avatar

Posts: 16617
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Location: SoCal
Would you be speaking to unknowing individuals? Who is the intended audience for you business card? Will they have already had a conversation with you when you hand them your card?

User avatar

Posts: 5777
Joined: January 12th, 2004, 7:44 am
Location: Montréal, QC
Which part of europe? Maybe put a translation on the card?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

User avatar

full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 878
Joined: July 27th, 2005, 9:06 pm
Location: Seattle
I personally kept mine as industrial designer. Most people I would give my personal business card to understand the term as they are familiar with the field.

Product Designer, on the other hand, has a much more broad term. Digital Product Designer is a title thrown all around they Bay Area right now.
emmanuel carrillo -

User avatar

step four
step four
Posts: 293
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Location: Shanghai
I'd stick to industrial designer, but I'd say the two terms have pretty much the same meaning. In my opinion, everybody within the ID field knows what an industrial designer does. If they were people not related to the ID field, chances are they don't have a proper idea of what an industrial designer is capable of anyway, so just use the one you like the most.
Alejandro Lara


Return to design employment