Accidentally sent the draft email.

Welp, I pulled an amateur move. I accidentally sent the initial draft copy of an email (copy in the email itself) in consideration of a job opening. Not too happy with myself right now.

An hour later, I caught my mistake and sent my final copy. Fortunately both emails had the same proofed and reproofed attachments. The initial draft wasn’t horrible, just not up to my standards. The draft reflected my research of the company and the town. I got my general point across. The only MAJOR flub was a missing word and too many sentences starting with the word ‘I’.

My question is, will sending the two emails kill my chances for consideration / would they be turned off from looking at the attachments?

Doh! As a hiring manager I would look past it, everyone does this from time to time on accident, even CEO’s and Presidents. I guess it depends on whether or not they want to be hard-asses about it, but who knows they might be impressed with your proof-reading/editing skills by comparing the two drafts! If you get the interview maybe you can make a clever joke of it.

As a good practice, whenever I sit down to compose an important email I always try to remember to open a blank email and put the address in last, after I’ve proofed it. And never ever hit Send/Recieve, if you save drafts a lot you run the risk of them being blasted out upon hitting Send/Recieve, this happened to me once, but luckily I was able to insta-rescind 99% of it, about had a heart attack though.

It happens. Don’t sweat it.

At least you considered and edited the email. Most if the emails I get seem
Like they were written by a monkey on a blackberry.

I don’t know if I would have resent the email as it draws attention to it, but I’m pretty sure I’ve done the same.

Hr probably didn’t even notice and ultimately it’s probably a design director making the decision.

R

Nothing is as bad as the copied and pasted e-mails where they forgot to delete someone else’s or another company’s name — that’s a surefire way for me to never reply to you.

Honestly, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a thread somewhere in these forums with all of the awful ‘can you give me a job?’ e-mails we’ve gotten?

There is a thread. Called something like “arrrrrrrrrggggghhh” (spelling may vary).

Look it up. Full of gems. I included a useful point form list you can copy and paste to reply to garbage emails.

R

It happens to the best of us, I’ve encountered and done much worse!

Many thanks everyone, I feel much better about it. I sure as hell wont let it happen again, though.

If sending two emails kills your chances of consideration, you did not want to work there in the first place.

• Great point

I have done it. No sweat!!

J

Corrupted data, client pressures, and looming deadlines work to combine into a lurking potential for disaster in direct mail campaigns. Sometimes that potential gets realized in hilarious fashion when one small thing, one very little thing, is inadvertently overlooked in the maelstrom inherent to getting a project of such nature underway. Such was the case here.

In the early 1990s, a small UK-based company that performed bureau work for direct marketing campaigns on behalf of third parties did indeed make the “Dear Rich Bastard” gaffe. That gaffe came about after the company had undertaken a project to assist one of the largest UK telecom companies in launching a new ‘gold’ calling card, a project that included drawing information from a database in order to address and personalize letters tendering the product to prospective customers.

And therein lay the trap. As potential wordings were bandied back and forth, the work on the actual data extraction program had to continue, and some placeholder phrase needed to be assigned for use with records containing munged name field data. A whimsical programmer hit upon his own temporary salutation for such records: “Dear Rich Bastard.”

Read more at 'Dear Rich Bastard' Letter | Snopes.com

Moral of the story, with most computer documents, never to make a joke in a draft. I think you are fine with edits, everyone understands.