Close

Re: Design visas and H1Bs

Postby rsuzuki » May 9th, 2014, 9:35 am

rsuzuki
step two
step two

While I think the quota of 85000 is ridiculously low for the demand, I do not take issue with the selection process. Actually reviewing each and every application that comes in would slow the process to a crawl and also open up for endless discussions on whether one school or workplace is more or less prestigious than another.

On a personal note, looks like I didn't get it and will be Europe bound in June. Frustrating to say the least for everyone involved.

And that is 85000 if you have an advanced degree. For most, it is still 65000 minus the amount reserved for singapore + Chile. Ugh it's so stupid the way it's set up. I'm sorry you weren't in the lucky few.. 175000 applicants for 85000 lucky draws. :/
- Rei Suzuki
from Tokyo, living in Denver
Coroflot » http://www.coroflot.com/rei_suzuki

Postby Sketchgrad » May 9th, 2014, 9:54 am

Sketchgrad
step three
step three

@Yo/Michael thank you for telling us about your family history and your personal opinion on the matter as an American. It was very touching to read and let this foreigner know that people empathise with us!

Back on topic I personally don't feel the visa requirements are too strict and should be kept in place. They do exclude a lot of people but it makes sense to only want those with degrees etc.

What I do not agree with at all is the cap. Not only is it a huge burden to have to go through finding a job, getting the company to sponsor, fill out the paperwork all to not have it looked at due missing the mark. It is also frustrating that there is only one window of the year to be applying for a job to try and get everything ready for April 1st. Unless you are with the company on a J1 there is no way people will be hiring at that given time. It also sucks that even if you get selected in April then you can't start working until the start of October. The ideal situation would be to keep the requirements but scrap the cap, or at least make it more obtainable and accessible throughout the year - not just one week in April.

It feels as though the entire world is closing in on itself and each country inventing crazy rules to keep people out. When we can all be sat on a plane for several hours and be half way across the world it just doesn't make sense.

The UK recently got very strict on their visa process for non-EU citizens. We stopped allowing students to stay after graduation which meant they were out pretty much after they took off their robes. They also raised salary caps for the visa's they do allow to wages that aren't realistic to most professions - this especially also applies to recent grads. Finally the marriage visa which should be the holy grail in most countries also took a blow with the UK citizen having to earn a certain amount before they can be a sponsor - this amount rules out average Joe on a low income or those that freelance etc.

There are also talks at the moment about us leaving the EU which comes with it's own headaches. A lot of people don't want others from the EU to work in the UK but they forget plenty of us would like to move to the continent, especially those that retire to Spain etc.

Postby bepster » June 5th, 2014, 7:51 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hey all.
So it didn't work, despite my company's, the lawyers and my best efforts and I'll have to leave San Francisco and the US for now.

I am disappointed that I didn't meet more people from the boards while here in the Bay Area.
For all of you here in SF, I'll have a going away beer (or rather beers) at Zeitgeist tonight, from 7 forward.

Come by, say hi and goodbye.

Postby Robbie_roy » June 5th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Sorry to hear Bepster. My friend heard the same news today. It is so stupid that all the effort of the company and lawyers have to go through BEFORE the lottery. Hope you get a nice little break at least.

Postby rsuzuki » June 6th, 2014, 10:34 am

rsuzuki
step two
step two

I'm sorry to hear that bepster. Any plans for what next? Does being in the EU allow you to work anywhere in the EU or is the visa an issue as well? Or you could go work somewhere totally different, like Japan (though visa there is a bit nightmarish like the US as well). :?
- Rei Suzuki
from Tokyo, living in Denver
Coroflot » http://www.coroflot.com/rei_suzuki

Postby bepster » June 6th, 2014, 10:58 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

rsuzuki wrote:I'm sorry to hear that bepster. Any plans for what next? Does being in the EU allow you to work anywhere in the EU or is the visa an issue as well? Or you could go work somewhere totally different, like Japan (though visa there is a bit nightmarish like the US as well). :?

All of Europe would be fine so that is where I am looking now.
It seems however that for what I want to do, which is CE, the opportunities are mostly west coast US. Firms doing this on a high, innovative level are harder to find in Europe.

Previous

Return to design employment